Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

xxx

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.82
WE: Law (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

xxx [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 22:07
xxx

Last edited by sluggerguy77 on 29 Oct 2012, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: AA Male 740 GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 12:23
It's going to be a really tough sell to prove that you're equipped to be an i-banker. Do you have any experience doing this already? They want you to be hirable, and right now your story isn't exactly a straight shot to Wallstreet. Your stats will be fine, but I think you should choose a more connected career. It's not impossible, but you're treating your law degree like a throw-away (maybe it is) and they will want to hear how this is all part of your Great Plan. Say you want to do something in business law or something, and then if you like, when you're there you can try out i-banking.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.82
WE: Law (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: AA Male 740 GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:50
machichi wrote:
It's going to be a really tough sell to prove that you're equipped to be an i-banker. Do you have any experience doing this already? They want you to be hirable, and right now your story isn't exactly a straight shot to Wallstreet. Your stats will be fine, but I think you should choose a more connected career. It's not impossible, but you're treating your law degree like a throw-away (maybe it is) and they will want to hear how this is all part of your Great Plan. Say you want to do something in business law or something, and then if you like, when you're there you can try out i-banking.

This sounds like a great idea. I actually do intend to treat my law degree as a "throw-away," (except when I'm meeting woman at bars), but I can see how using it when I package myself to b-school ad coms will be helpful. Thanks.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [2] , given: 1

Re: AA Male 740 GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
I can imagine that returning to school after having completed a Harvard Law degree is a difficult decision. However, if you are committed then I see no reason why you should not be accepted into a world class program. One thing to be aware of is that you have to be careful not to come across as a terminal student and your application has to have a great sense of purpose and direction. I would also do research into those schools that are most open to people with your background -- from my vast experience, I would say that HBS and Stanford might be long shots. I would definitely apply to Wharton, Columbia, Booth and Sloan. At these schools, your peer group will be very similar to what you experienced at Harvard Law. As back-up schools, I would recommend that you look at Yale, Darden and Cornell -- all of these schools have great placement in your target industry. Lastly, remember to make your essays positive and developmental and not negative and regretful -- nobody likes to read sad or negative essays.

Good luck on your exciting career transition.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: AA Male 740 GMAT   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2012, 17:05