Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

80% (02:22) correct 20% (01:33) wrong based on 144 sessions
Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

A) xt/y
B) (x+t)/xy
C) xyt/(x+y)
D) (x+y+t)/xy
E) ((y+t)/x)-(t/y)

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: aaron-will-jog-home-at-x-miles-per-hour-and-then-walk-back-22234.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [8] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
Q-1) Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

Let the no.of miles Aaron covers be D.

Total Time = Time (jogging) + Time (Walking)
t hours = D/x + D/y
t = D ((x+y)/xy)
D = xyt/(x+y)

So the answer is C.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 09:02
The question is asking for a general answer in terms of other variables. It is not a great technique to substitute values to get an answer, because depending on what values you plug in, you might actually get two or more hits in the answers.

The question is straight forwards enough. If the total distance he goes is m miles, then the time he takes is :

m/x(going) + m/y(coming) = t

So m = xyt/(x+y)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3371

Kudos [?]: 24534 [0], given: 2680

Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 09:33
Expert's post
greatchap wrote:
Query: we know that he will jog for 4 miles. So what does ques mean How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?
If the ques asked how many miles can he walk then also the answer would be the same as distance from home and back is same.

Kinda confused a bit.

Can anyone clarify this ques a bit ?

Thanks,

GR

You are right answer would be the same, as the question basically asks about the distance in miles of one-way route from home to some point, where he stops jogging turns and returns back home walking.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
greatchap wrote:
Q-1) Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

a) xt/y ---------> unit of time , this can not be the answer
b) x+t/xy ---------> you can not add speed and time
c) xyt/x+y ----------> unit of distance, this could be the answer
d) (x+y+t)/xy -----------> you can not add speed and time
e) ((y+t)/x)-(t/y) -------->can not add speed and time

Hence C :lol:

This is basically physics' concept of DIMENSIONS.

Otherwise shrouded1 gave nice explanation. Follow it.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 18:09
I used the way siyer and others solved. Gurpreet reminded of nice physics dimenstions concept where we used to calculate the units in [M], [L], [T] etc :)

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 08:00
Thanks a lot guys. I understood it now. I appreciate your help.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [2] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Solving OG12 Diagnostic V24 - Alternative solution [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I'd like to share with you an alternative and very powerful technique for solving hard to grasp questions. These type of questions show up from time to time and this technique saved my ass when I was blocked, so it might help you out.

This technique is an ancient one I learned 11 years ago in my Physics class. I'll show you how to use it on a sample problem taken from OG12, diagnostic test question 24 somehow edited:

Quote:
Young padawan will jog from Yoda's training camp at x miles per hour and then walk back to the camp at y miles per hour. How many miles from the camp can padawan jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

A) xt/y

B) (x+t)/y

C) xyt/(x+y)

D) (x+y+t)/(xy)

E) (y+t)/x - t/y

If you don't know how to algebraically solve the problem, the trick is to analyze the units in the answer choices, let's see if they are homogeneous.

x and y are speeds so their units are [distance / time]

A) yields a time, which is incorrect as we are looking for a distance.

B) is illegal, as we can't add a speed to a time.

C) yields a distance, so it could be the correct answer.

D) is illegal as we can't add speeds to a time

E) is illegal as we can't add a speed to a time.

Therefore answer C is correct.

Obviously if another answer looked like (xyt)/(x-y) then this trick wouldn't work as two (or more) answer choices would remain. But I noticed that for these questions, if you analyze the units, usually only one answer choice has the homogeneous units.

Keep me updated if this trick helped you out :wink:
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Solving OG12 Diagnostic V24 - Alternative solution [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 08:35
Thanks for sharing, but it has been already discussed.

Check out !!

og-algebra-101376.html#p785205

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Solving OG12 Diagnostic V24 - Alternative solution [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 08:47
:lol:

As the other poster did not correctly title his thread, I was not able to find it. This thread can therefore be locked.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 10:05
Bunuel wrote:
greatchap wrote:
Query: we know that he will jog for 4 miles. So what does ques mean How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?
If the ques asked how many miles can he walk then also the answer would be the same as distance from home and back is same.

Kinda confused a bit.

Thanks,

GR

You are right answer would be the same, as the question basically asks about the distance in miles of one-way route from home to some point, where he stops jogging turns and returns back home walking.

Bunuel,

Can you pls help in clearing my doubt about where am I doing wrong in this problem. I have considered Total Distance/Total Speed=Time(T), So 2D/x+y=T. I am struck. pls clear my doubt.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 165

Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 00:07
anu1706 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
greatchap wrote:

Kinda confused a bit.

Thanks,

GR

Bunuel,

Can you pls help in clearing my doubt about where am I doing wrong in this problem. I have considered Total Distance/Total Speed=Time(T), So 2D/x+y=T. I am struck. pls clear my doubt.

I'm not Bunuel, however would like to reply:

There cannot be "total speed" by adding two different speeds in this problem

However, we can say Total Time = Time required in Jogging + Time required in Walking

t = \frac{d}{x} + \frac{d}{y}

t = \frac{d (x+y)}{xy}

d = \frac{xyt}{(x+y)}

Answer = C

One more method:

Say time required in Jogging = q
So time required in walking = (t-q)

Forming the equations to find distance d

d = xq

q = \frac{d}{x} ........... (1)

d = y(t-q) .......... (2)

Substitute value of q in equation (2)

d = y(t-\frac{d}{x})

d + \frac{yd}{x} = yt

d (1+\frac{y}{x}) = yt

d = \frac{ytx}{(x+y)} = Answer

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: OG Algebra [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 03:03
gurpreetsingh wrote:
greatchap wrote:

a) xt/y ---------> unit of time , this can not be the answer
b) x+t/xy ---------> you can not add speed and time
c) xyt/x+y ----------> unit of distance, this could be the answer
d) (x+y+t)/xy -----------> you can not add speed and time
e) ((y+t)/x)-(t/y) -------->can not add speed and time

Hence C :lol:

This is basically physics' concept of DIMENSIONS.

Otherwise shrouded1 gave nice explanation. Follow it.

Dimensional analysis made it easier and quicker
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3371

Kudos [?]: 24534 [0], given: 2680

Re: Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 03:07
Expert's post
Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour and then walk back home by the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

A) xt/y
B) (x+t)/xy
C) xyt/(x+y)
D) (x+y+t)/xy
E) ((y+t)/x)-(t/y)

Algebraic approach:

Say the distance Aaron jogs is d miles, notice that the distance Aaron walks back will also be d miles (since he walks back home on the same route).

Next, total time t would be equal to the time he spends on jogging plus the time he spends on walking: \frac{d}{x}+\frac{d}{y}=t --> d(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})=t --> d=\frac{xyt}{x+y}.

Answer: C.

Number picking approach:

Say the distance in 10 miles, x=10 mile/hour and y=5 mile/hour (pick x and y so that they will be factors of 10).

So, Aaron spends on jogging 10/10=1 hour and on walking 10/5=2 hours, so total time t=1+2=3 hours.

Now, we have that x=10, y=5 and t=3. Plug these values into the answer choices to see which gives 10 miles. Only answer choice C fits: \frac{xyt}{x+y}=\frac{10*5*3}{10+5}=10.

Answer: C.

Note that for plug-in method it might happen that for some particular number(s) more than one option may give "correct" answer. In this case just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: aaron-will-jog-home-at-x-miles-per-hour-and-then-walk-back-22234.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Re: Aaron will jog from home at x miles per hour   [#permalink] 02 May 2014, 03:07