Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [12]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: ABC is a right angle triangle, right angled at B Co ordinate [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
ABC is a right angle triangle, right angled at B Co ordinates of A, B and C are (X,Z), (X,Y) and (X+3, Y) respectively. Length of line AC is 5 units, x and y are greater than or equal to 0, the vertices of triangle ABC have coordinate values as shown, and the value of AC is as shown. If x = 3, then what could be the slope of line AC?

Pls note fig is drawn in 1st quadrant with Z > Y i.e point B is above A.

A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

Apparently Archit added this very important note after I wrote my initial response to the problem. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a GMAT math problem that includes a diagram often will make little or no sense without the diagram. The GMAT never gives you a diagram unless there's some crucial piece of information you need from the diagram: this is a very important point to appreciate.

With this added piece of information, it's perfectly clear that the answer is (A). If Z > Y, then the line must move DOWN from (X,Z) to (X+3, Y). That's the definition of a negative slope. With the analysis above, we saw that the slope would have to be either -4/3 or +4/3. With the information from the diagram it's clear that the slope is -4/3, answer = (A).

Please let me know if anyone has any further questions.
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
ABC is a right angle triangle, right angled at B Co ordinates of A, B and C are (X,Z), (X,Y) and (X+3, Y) respectively. Length of line AC is 5 units, x and y are greater than or equal to 0, the vertices of triangle ABC have coordinate values as shown, and the value of AC is as shown. If x = 3, then what could be the slope of line AC?
A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

We know the hypotenuse AC = 5, and we know BC = 3, because B & C have the same y-coordinate (BC is horizontal) and they are separated in the horizontal direction by 3.

If a right triangle has a hypotenuse of 5 and one leg of 3, the other leg has to be 4. That is the inescapable conclusion of the Pythagorean Theorem. We must have a 3-4-5 triangle.

The trouble is ---- we don't know if Z > Y or Z < Y ---- the problem provides no information on that point. Thus, we have a horizontal segment BC of length 3, with a right angle at B, but we don't know whether the perpendicular segment AB goes up or down from B. We know AB must have a length of 4 and that it must make a right angle with B, but we don't know whether the direction from B to A is up or down. Therefore, the slope of AB could be either +4/3 or -4/3. Two answers are possible here.

I suspect either something was not copied correctly from the source, or that the source is faulty.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Mike

First of all thanks for replying to my post.... The actual question is to find the equation of AC which is not difficult after we get the slope.

Pls find below the actual question

In the figure to the left, x and y are greater than or equal to 0, the vertices of triangle ABC have coordinate values as shown, and the value of AC is as shown. If x = 3, then what could be the equation of line AC?

The co ordinates remains the same as in the original question.

My doubt is
When we get the 3 - 4 -5 triangle with clear value as 3 , 4 and 5 not as ratio, also from the equation we know that change in y axis (delta Y ) is 4 and that of X axis is 3. why cant we conclude straight away that the slope is 4/3 .
Yes if we substitute the value of Z as y+ 4 than we get - 4/3

Why is it so..............
The solution assumes the value to be - 4/3 and calculates the equation of line.
Question; why is there two possible SLOPE of a single line.........
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Send PM
The line segment AB goes up in the.
The fig is drawn in 1st quadrant and Z > Y
I think that will help to arrive a conclusion

Sorry for the trouble i ll edit the original question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:

A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

A is the answer to this one

Let me explain

We need to draw the triangle first. Now, x =3 so we are going to have a pythagorean triple 3-4-5.
Now are coordinate for A (3,z) C (6,y)

Slope will be (y-z )/ (6-3)

Do we know y-z? Yes we do from the height of the right triangle we get that difference of z-y = 4

Hence y-z will just be -4

So the slope is -4/3

Answer is A

Hope it helps
Cheers!

J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

We know the hypotenuse AC = 5, and we know BC = 3, because B & C have the same y-coordinate (BC is horizontal) and they are separated in the horizontal direction by 3.

If a right triangle has a hypotenuse of 5 and one leg of 3, the other leg has to be 4. That is the inescapable conclusion of the Pythagorean Theorem. We must have a 3-4-5 triangle.

The trouble is ---- we don't know if Z > Y or Z < Y ---- the problem provides no information on that point. Thus, we have a horizontal segment BC of length 3, with a right angle at B, but we don't know whether the perpendicular segment AB goes up or down from B. We know AB must have a length of 4 and that it must make a right angle with B, but we don't know whether the direction from B to A is up or down. Therefore, the slope of AB could be either +4/3 or -4/3. Two answers are possible here.

I suspect either something was not copied correctly from the source, or that the source is faulty.

Let me know if you have any questions.

It is 100% choice D because it is inferable that with the coordinate description (X,Z), (X,Y), (X+3,Y) that \(X=X\) and for Y to be parallel, the (X,Z) and (x+3,Y) relationship must be positive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:

A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

In triangle ABC line AB is parallel to Y-axis and line BC is parallel to X axis . Z>Y so line AC will be in 1 st quadrant
AC=5, BC= 3 and AB=\sqrt{(5^2-3^2)}=4
angle ACB, Tan(ACB)=4/3,NOTE : Slope of any line is always taken from positive x-axis in anticlockwise direction.
Slope=tan(180-ACB)=-tan (ACB)=-4/3
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

Apparently Archit added this very important note after I wrote my initial response to the problem. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a GMAT math problem that includes a diagram often will make little or no sense without the diagram. The GMAT never gives you a diagram unless there's some crucial piece of information you need from the diagram: this is a very important point to appreciate.

With this added piece of information, it's perfectly clear that the answer is (A). If Z > Y, then the line must move DOWN from (X,Z) to (X+3, Y). That's the definition of a negative slope. With the analysis above, we saw that the slope would have to be either -4/3 or +4/3. With the information from the diagram it's clear that the slope is -4/3, answer = (A).

Sorry i did not understand quite well .
how can point B lie above A if Z>Y ? A, B are (X,Z), (X,Y)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
if the same question were to be (X-3), then it would be positive slope 4/3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 2
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

The question is still wrong and confusing. The word RESPECTIVELY is not given any respect in this question.
A, B and C are (X,Z), (X,Y) and (X+3, Y) respectively

These statements do not hold true together.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

A. -4/3
B. 2/3
C. 1
D. 4/3
E. 2

Either Z > Y
OR B is above A
Both are not possible together.

:sleep: :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42