Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618846 [19]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618846 [4]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: ABC is a right triangle with right angle at point B. If the ratio of [#permalink]
Kudos
shallow9323 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ABC is a right triangle with right angle at point B. If the ratio of AB to BC is 8 to 15, what is the area of the triangle?

(1) The height from point B to the hypotenuse is 120.
(2) The perimeter of the triangle is 680.

Answer is D

using hypotenuse = X(89)^1/2
we get 1/2B*H

St 1
that is 1/2*8X*5X = 1/2*X(89)^1/2*120
calculate X and get the area from there.

St 2
8X + 5X + X(89)^1/2 = 680
calculate X and obtain area.

hence both statements individually Suff.

I too believe the answer is D, but just wanted to correct a typo. The question stem says the ratio is 8:15 and your solution shows 8:5.

So for statement 2 we would have 8x+15x+x*(289)^1/2 =680.

Answer is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: ABC is a right triangle with right angle at point B. If the ratio of [#permalink]
Oh yea,! thanks.
good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Rudey: RD
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31
GPA: 3.29
WE:Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Could you guys explain it a little in detail as to why is statement 1 sufficient. I did not get it.

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
using any side as the base, the area should be the same, but the corresponding height from that base needs to be used.
half base into height.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

When a Geometry question does not include a picture, you have to be careful about the assumptions you make about the shape(s) involved.

Here, do you KNOW which side of the triangle is the height: AB or BC.....? If you drew 2 different pictures, and did the necessary work, would the answer to the question change?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ABC is right angle at B
hence, any line touching B cant be the hypotenuse.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [3]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RudeyboyZ wrote:
Could you guys explain it a little in detail as to why is statement 1 sufficient. I did not get it.

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.

Dear RudeyboyZ

Please refer to the image below. It represents the information that we were given in the Question Statement and in St. 1.Also, if AB = 8x and BC = 15x, can you calculate AC? Sure, using Pythagoras Theorem, you know that it's 17x.

Now, area of triangle ABC =\(\frac{1}{2}*AB*BC\) = \(\frac{1}{2}*8x*15x\)

But, suppose you take the base as AC. Then, what is the height? BD. And St. 1 tells us that BD = 120

So, the area of triangle ABC can also be written as = \(\frac{1}{2}*BD*AC\) = \(\frac{1}{2}*120*17x\)

By equating the two expressions for area of triangle ABC, you can find the value of x and therefore, you can find a unique value of the area of triangle ABC. So, St. 1 is sufficient.

Note that I could analyze Statement 1 till its logical conclusion because:

1. I drew a neat diagram that represented all the pieces of information that were given in Question statement + St. 1 and also the information that I had inferred (AC = 17x, using Pythagoras Theorem)

2. I was able to mentally rotate the triangle ABC such that AC became its base. By doing so, I could see that the area of triangle ABC can also be written as \(\frac{1}{2}*BD*AC\). This ability to mentally rotate a given image comes in handy in many questions.

Here's an official question that involves rotation of a triangle:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-figure-above-triangle-abc-is-equilateral-and-point-143496.html

Hope this helped! :)

Japinder
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
RudeyboyZ wrote:

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.

Dear RudeyboyZ

Please refer to the image below. It represents the information that we were given in the Question Statement and in St. 1.Also, if AB = 8x and BC = 15x, can you calculate AC? Sure, using Pythagoras Theorem, you know that it's 17x.

But, suppose you take the base as AC. Then, what is the height? BD. And St. 1 tells us that BD = 120

So, the area of triangle ABC can also be written as = \(\frac{1}{2}*BD*AC\) = \(\frac{1}{2}*120*17x\)

By equating the two expressions for area of triangle ABC, you can find the value of x and therefore, you can find a unique value of the area of triangle ABC. So, St. 1 is sufficient.

1. I drew a neat diagram that represented all the pieces of information that were given in Question statement + St. 1 and also the information that I had inferred (AC = 17x, using Pythagoras Theorem)

2. I was able to mentally rotate the triangle ABC such that AC became its base. By doing so, I could see that the area of triangle ABC can also be written as \(\frac{1}{2}*BD*AC\). This ability to mentally rotate a given image comes in handy in many questions.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-figure-above-triangle-abc-is-equilateral-and-point-143496.html

Japinder

Dear Japinder,

The detailed explanation is really helpful. Thank you!

Warm Regards,

Rudey.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
RudeyboyZ wrote:

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.

Dear RudeyboyZ

Japinder

Dear Japinder,

The detailed explanation is really helpful. Thank you!

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ABC is a right triangle with right angle at point B. If the ratio of AB to BC is 8 to 15, what is the area of the triangle?

OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First of all since the ration of AB to BC is 8x:15x, then the hypotenuse is \(\sqrt{(8x)^2+(15x)^2}=17x\).

Consider the image below:

The area of a right triangle equals to \(\frac{1}{2}*leg_1*leg_2=\frac{1}{2}*AB*BC\). But the area of a right triangle can also be found by \(\frac{1}{2}*(altitude \ from \ right \ angle)*(hypotenuse)=\frac{1}{2}*BD*AC\).

Equate these expressions:
\(\frac{1}{2}*AB*BC=\frac{1}{2}*BD*AC\);
\(\frac{1}{2}*8x*15x=\frac{1}{2}*120*17x\);
\(120x=120*17\);
\(x=17\).

The area = \(\frac{1}{2}*AB*BC=\frac{1}{2}*8x*15x=60x=60*17\). Sufficient.

The perimeter = \(8x+15x+17x=680\). We can find x, thus we can find the area. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

P.S. Thank you Japinder for the drawing.

Attachment:
image.png

Hi Bunuel,
Can you please help me with this question, i have a specific doubt.
St 1 says, The height from point B to the hypotenuse is 120; We know that Perpendicular to the hypotenuse(height from point B to the hypotenuse) will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle and it'll be half the length of the hypotenuse? Which only goes on to prove hypotenuse = 2x120=240
St 2 says, perimeter of the triangle is 680; 8x+15x+17x=680 x=17 hypotenuse = 17x17 = 289
How can we have 2 different hypotenuse measures for the same triangle?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Ted21 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Can you please help me with this question, i have a specific doubt.
St 1 says, The height from point B to the hypotenuse is 120; We know that Perpendicular to the hypotenuse(height from point B to the hypotenuse) will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle and it'll be half the length of the hypotenuse? Which only goes on to prove hypotenuse = 2x120=240 St 2 says, perimeter of the triangle is 680; 8x+15x+17x=680 x=17 hypotenuse = 17x17 = 289
How can we have 2 different hypotenuse measures for the same triangle?

you are quoting statement 2 correctly but your interpretation of statement 1 is not correct.

The property that you have mentioned in the red text above is ONLY possible when the triangle is a 45-45-90 triangle and in this triangle AB = BC which is not the case provided to us.

Triangle ABC is NOT 45-45-90 triangle and hence you can not say that the hypotenuse will be divided into 2 by the height from B.

The way you will be able to calculate the impact of height is as follows:

Let the 2 sides of the triangle be 8k and 15k (as the ratio is 8:15)

Thus the hypotenuse is = ((8k)^2+(15k)^2)^0.5 = 17k.

Thus the area of the triangle = 0.5*AB*BC = 0.5*Height*Hypotenuse ---> 0.5*8k*15k = 0.5*120*17k ---> k = 17 and thus hypotenuse = 17*17= 289 same as Statement 2.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
How do we know that BD is a perpendicular line segment?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618846 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CapnSal wrote:
How do we know that BD is a perpendicular line segment?

(1) says "The height from point B to the hypotenuse is 120." In a triangle, height refers to the perpendicular distance from a vertex to its opposite side.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

Using Pythagoras we can find the multiple of AC as follows:
8x^2 + 15x^2 = ACx^2 = 17^2
AC = 17x

Hence
AB:BC:AC = 8x:15x:17x

As we don't know the value of x, we are required to find its value to get the area of the triangle ABC.

This implies that B and point D(one that meets AC) make a line that is perpendicular to AC.
Since there can only be one unique value for BD, we know that it must have some value that follows a ratio pattern with any side of the triangle. Although going into the details of this is not required, only knowing that is enough.

And if there is a unique value then getting a value of x, eventually area, becomes easier.

SUFFICIENT.

Now, for this we have
8x + 15x + 17x = 680
This gives x = 17

From here on we can calculate the value of area.

Answer D.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts