Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 07:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:49) correct 58% (01:05) wrong based on 77 sessions
ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose sides are all congruent. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a common side with the quadrilateral ABCD. The area of which one is greater: ABCD or BCEF ?

(1) ABCD is a square.
(2) BCEF is not a square.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1854 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Area of which is greater ?? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let's do it step by step.

1. How are ABCD and BCEF connected? There is only a common side BC. All other tree sides of ABCD can be of any size and the area of ABCD can be (0, inf). BCEF is a rhombus and its area can be (0, BC^2] (BC^2 included).

2. Statement 1. In other words, area of ABCD is BC^2 that can be greater or equal to the area of BCEF (0, BC^2]

3. Statement 2. So, area of BCEF can't be BC^2 and we have (0, BC^2) possible range for the area. it's still not enough as the area ABCD can be (0, inf)

4. Statements 1&2. The area of ABCD is BC^2 and the area of BCEF can be (0, BC^2) or always lesser than the area of ABCD. Sufficient.

C

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 04:04
Hi

Iam new to GMAT club and was going through this problem.I think A should be the answer to this problem.Logic given below.

1.Statement 1 says ABCD is a square. Now for all quadrilaterals with given perimeter square has the greatest area .Perimeter of square ABCD and BCEF =4a where a=length of one side.(Square and rhombus share a common side ,so lenght of side of Rhombus is also a).So applying the above property area of square greater than rhombus.

2.) Statement 2 says that BCEF is not a square, doesnt provide any useful infromation.Hence clearly not sufficient.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 21:15
burp wrote:
ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose sides are all congruent. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a common side with the quadrilateral ABCD. The area of which one is greater: ABCD or BCEF ?

(1) ABCD is a square.

Hi All,

I am having difficulty in understanding the proble,

1. ABCD is a square....As per defination Rhombus also has the same side. I am confused on how to tell the diagonal lengths with the help of sides of a rhombus. I think this is not sufficient.

2. BCEF not a square, no info about ABCD..hence not sufficient.

Together..we know ABCD is a square and BECF is not, but it is still rhombus...hence it is not sufficient together too...so E

Can any expert help us understand this

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 05:48
harshavmrg wrote:
burp wrote:

(1) ABCD is a square.

Hi All,

I am having difficulty in understanding the proble,

1. ABCD is a square....As per defination Rhombus also has the same side. I am confused on how to tell the diagonal lengths with the help of sides of a rhombus. I think this is not sufficient.

2. BCEF not a square, no info about ABCD..hence not sufficient.

Together..we know ABCD is a square and BECF is not, but it is still rhombus...hence it is not sufficient together too...so E

Can any expert help us understand this

Dear Harsh,

Q. is : ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose sides are all congruent. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a common side with the quadrilateral ABCD. The area of which one is greater: ABCD or BCEF ?

(1) ABCD is a square.

This question can be very easily solved with a property of a quadilateral:-
A square has a larger area than any other quadrilateral with the same perimeter
Now for (1) ABCD is a square, but we know nothing about BCEF. Another property is
If the diagonals of a rhombus are equal, then that rhombus must be a square. Now as we see,
we only know that BCEF is a Rhombus, we know nothing about the angle. Hence (1) insufficient.
(2) Insufficient
(1) + (2), here we get that BCEF is not a square, hence clearly Area ABCD > Area BCEF Sufficient
Hence C
Hope I am clear

If you like my solution kindly give me Kudos

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you like my solution kindly reward me with Kudos.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. A rhombus is a quadrilateral whose [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 12:52
+1 C

The square, given a perimeter, is the quadrilateral with the greater area.
A rombus can be a square also.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 102

ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 08:18
ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a common side with the quadrilateral ABCD. The area of which one is greater ABCD or BCEF ?

(1) ABCD is a square.

Solution:
From (1),
ABCD is a square. So its area= BC × BC
And we know from the question that BCEF is a rhombus which shares a side with ABCD,
so the area of the rhombus = BC × FJ (from diagram).
[The area of rhombus = area of two equal triangles
inside it = ½ BC× FJ + ½ BC× FJ = BC× FJ ]

Here all sides of the two quadrilaterals are equals for sharing one same side.

But a rhombus has a less altitude than a square has because of its angles.
So clearly BC>FJ,
Consequently area of ABCD > area of BCEF

Statement (1) alone is sufficient.

Statement (2) is not necessary at all, because from the question we already know BCEF is a rhombus. Its not sufficient at all.

So the answer is (A).

From my point of view the answer is (A), but in the Nova’s data sufficiency prep course book (Author: jeff kolby) i find the answer is (C).

What do you people think? Share your opinion…
Attachments

File comment: use this diagram friends
square.jpg
square.jpg [ 41.57 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]

Asif vai.....

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 08:49
a square is a rhombus too ( vice a versa is not true)
unless we know that rhombus is not square, we cannot tell area is greater or equal.
So if it is square then area is equal but if not square then square > rhombus.

So C
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 11:58
rhombus has maximum area when it is a square otherwise in all other cases the area of the rhombus will be less than the square with same side length.

as square comes under category of a RHOMBUS so we need to consider that case also

statement 1:
ABCD is a square===>in this situation there are 2 cases
case 1:when rhombus is a square ===>in this case the area of both ABCD and CDEF will be same.
case 2:when rhombus is not a square===.in this case area of ABCD will be MORE THAN CDEF.
hence insufficient

statement 2:
CDEF is not a square
this alone doesnt gives any information about ABCD.hence insufficient.

combining :
now we know CDEF is not a square hence area ABCD will be greater than CDEF.
HENCE C

hope this helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 13:03
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
unless we know that rhombus is not square, we cannot tell area is greater or equal.

So C

how can square be a rhombus.
All the angles are 90 degree in square but not even one in the rhombus !!!
we know it clearly...... with equal sides as square, a rhombus must have less altitude than that of the square due to the angles...
can you explain it?

Asif vai.....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 10:42
Asifpirlo wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

So C

we know it clearly...... with equal sides as square, a rhombus must have less altitude than that of the square due to the angles...
can you explain it?

A rhombus is a quadrilateral with all 4 sides equal in length. A square is a type of rhombus just as a rhombus is a type of quadrilateral.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 10:45
Observer wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

So C

can you explain it?

A rhombus is a quadrilateral with all 4 sides equal in length. A square is a type of rhombus just as a rhombus is a type of quadrilateral.

yes its a proven theory that a square is a rhombus too despite the differences in angles......

Asif vai.....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 12:51
Asifpirlo wrote:
yes its a proven theory that a square is a rhombus too despite the differences in angles......

Sorry misunderstood your question. I don't know if that diagram you posted is your own or is from the book you got the problem from, but it's misleading. Without B you do not know whether BCEF is a square or not. The diagram suggests we know that BCEF is a rhombus and not a square from the stem but only B gives that information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 13:12
Observer wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:

Sorry misunderstood your question. I don't know if that diagram you posted is your own or is from the book you got the problem from, but it's misleading. Without B you do not know whether BCEF is a square or not. The diagram suggests we know that BCEF is a rhombus and not a square from the stem but only B gives that information.

the question tells BCEF is a rhombus and accordint to it i draw the diagram...

Asif vai.....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 18:03
ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a common side with the quadrilateral ABCD. The area of which one is greater ABCD or BCEF ?

(1) ABCD is a square.

Tells us that ABCD is a square and that BCEF shares side measurements with ABCD. A rhombus will have a smaller than a square with the same side lengths. However, BCEF could be a square as well because a square is also a rhombus. We cannot be 100% sure. Not Sufficient.

Tells us nothing about ABCD and very little about BCEF. Not Sufficient.

1+2) Tells us that ABCD is a square and that BCEF has the same side measurements but is not a square. Therefore, the area of ABCD is greater than the area of BCEF. SUFFICIENT
Re: ABCD is a quadrilateral. BCEF is a rhombus and shares a comm   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2013, 18:03