Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 522

Kudos [?]: 2165 [1] , given: 31

ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:52) correct 10% (00:52) wrong based on 49 sessions
Attachment:
square in a square.png
square in a square.png [ 14.6 KiB | Viewed 900 times ]

ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. If Rectangle S (not shown) with length (x + y) has the same area as the shaded region above, what is the width of Rectangle S?
(A) x
(B) y
(C) y + x
(D) y - x
(E) y^2 - x^2

For a complete solution, see this post:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/three-alge ... -the-gmat/
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
We have the area of the shaded region:-(y^2)-(x^2)
Now the shaded area can be factorised as (y+x)(y-x).
The question tells us that a rectangle of length (x+y) has the same area (y^2-x^2).
Hence, the width of the rectangle has to be (y-x)
:)

If you shut your door to all errors, truth will be shut out.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
Attachment:
square in a square.png

ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. If Rectangle S (not shown) with length (x + y) has the same area as the shaded region above, what is the width of Rectangle S?
(A) x
(B) y
(C) y + x
(D) y - x
(E) y^2 - x^2

Hi Mike,

Sorry for Question ....but do you really think ?? This is a 700- level Question ??? I did this in around 30 seconds .......... Pls advise. Thanks !! in Advance ............

If you don’t make mistakes, you’re not working hard. And Now that’s a Huge mistake.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2165 [0], given: 31

Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 10:07
Expert's post
manishuol wrote:
Hi Mike,
Sorry for Question ....but do you really think ?? This is a 700- level Question ??? I did this in around 30 seconds .......... Pls advise. Thanks !! in Advance ............

To be perfectly honest, many of the questions I post are ones I have recently written. I like to share brand new content with folks who are studying for the GMAT. If a question has been in the Magoosh product for a while, then hundreds of people will have answered it, and we can see the percentage correct and thus judge with considerable accuracy the difficulty of the question. By contrast, when I write a brand new question and post it on GC, the system requires me to estimate a difficulty level, and I have to take my best guess. To be perfectly blunt, I am conversant in multivariable calculus and advanced statistics, so pretty much all GMAT math looks easy to me ---- it's very hard for me to guess what other folks are going to find easy or difficult. I am estimating from my experience of the wide array of GMAT students I have encountered.

With this particular question, one has to see, first of all, that the shaded area is the big square minus the small square, y^2 - x^2. Then, one has to see one can factor y^2 - x^2 = (y + x)(y - x). If one sees both of those right away, this problem is trivially easy. I would say, though, not all GMAT test takers will have both of those observations right at their fingertips. For some folks, either one or both of those will be completely befuddling. It's always the case, in any GMAT math problem --- if you see all the things that are necessary to see, the problem becomes quite easy. All of math has the quality that it's impossibly difficulty when you don't know what to do and trivially easy when you do know what to do. Does all this make this question an 700 question? I don't know, but I will say, I believe it says good things about your mathematical abilities that you were able to solve it so easily. Congratulations.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 10:34
Just think on the lines of the question. You have to find the other side and you are given the area of the rectangle.
Area = L x B
L = x+ y
Area = y^2 - x^2
Hence B = y -x.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE: Analyst (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 17:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
manishuol wrote:
Hi Mike,

To be perfectly honest, many of the questions I post are ones I have recently written. I like to share brand new content with folks who are studying for the GMAT. If a question has been in the Magoosh product for a while, then hundreds of people will have answered it, and we can see the percentage correct and thus judge with considerable accuracy the difficulty of the question. By contrast, when I write a brand new question and post it on GC, the system requires me to estimate a difficulty level, and I have to take my best guess. To be perfectly blunt, I am conversant in multivariable calculus and advanced statistics, so pretty much all GMAT math looks easy to me ---- it's very hard for me to guess what other folks are going to find easy or difficult. I am estimating from my experience of the wide array of GMAT students I have encountered.

With this particular question, one has to see, first of all, that the shaded area is the big square minus the small square, y^2 - x^2. Then, one has to see one can factor y^2 - x^2 = (y + x)(y - x). If one sees both of those right away, this problem is trivially easy. I would say, though, not all GMAT test takers will have both of those observations right at their fingertips. For some folks, either one or both of those will be completely befuddling. It's always the case, in any GMAT math problem --- if you see all the things that are necessary to see, the problem becomes quite easy. All of math has the quality that it's impossibly difficulty when you don't know what to do and trivially easy when you do know what to do. Does all this make this question an 700 question? I don't know, but I will say, I believe it says good things about your mathematical abilities that you were able to solve it so easily. Congratulations.

Thanks !! for your Detailed Genuine reply ... Mike !! I appreciate that. :-D

If you don’t make mistakes, you’re not working hard. And Now that’s a Huge mistake.

Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 895

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 08:32
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
manishuol wrote:
Hi Mike,

100% agree with the highlighted portion.

It is because, these things are fitted in our brain so firmly that whenever we see y^2 - x^2, we quickly go on to factories it as (y+x)(y-x). but this may not so easy for some students.

By the way, the equation (y+x)(y-x) = (x+y)W would have become a dangerous trap in if y and x had not been the lengths.
In that case we would not be able to divide both sides of the equation by (x+y) without knowing the exact values of x and y.
Consider if y=-x
I initially considered this possibility assuming that Mike sir will not give us such an easy task. :wink:

Regards,

Narenn

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2165 [0], given: 31

Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 11:59
Expert's post
manishuol wrote:
Thanks !! for your Detailed Genuine reply ... Mike !! I appreciate that. :-D

You are quite welcome.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x. [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 23:34
mikemcgarry wrote:
Attachment:
square in a square.png

(A) x
(B) y
(C) y + x
(D) y - x
(E) y^2 - x^2

Agree with everything Mike said above. My brain didn't even jump to factoring y^2-x^2, it wanted to plug numbers in right away.

I set y=4
and x=1

y+x=5
Area of shaded region equals 15

15 = 5 x (z)

z = 3 = y-x, Answer D

MUCH longer than factoring y^2-x^2 out, but I still got there in under 2 minutes. :)
Re: ABCD is a square with a side y, and JKLM is a side x.   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 23:34