Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Able to switch careers at INSEAD (or other 1 yr prgms)?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
GMAT 2: 630 Q V
GMAT 3: 660 Q V
GMAT 4: 680 Q V
GMAT 5: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Able to switch careers at INSEAD (or other 1 yr prgms)? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 23:18
Hey all. Looking to hear from some current students or alumni for first hand feedback.

I'd like to switch my career from the corporate sector (marketing/sales) to management consulting and am considering INSEAD, but am concerned the 10 month program won't adequately prepare me despite its strong ties in consulting.

INSEAD's marketing material promotes it's career switching student body with 60% changing function, 56% changing country, 40% changing sector, and 22% changing all three. Yet the common opinion is it's very difficult to pick up the skills, knowledge, and network needed to make a career change in a (brief) one year program. Especially without a summer internship.

http://gmatclub.com/blog/2011/10/is-a-o ... for-you-2/

Can anybody share their story of switching (or trying to switch) careers in a one year program, whether it be specifically INSEAD or another one year program (kellogg, cornell, ESADE, etc.). Thx
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Able to switch careers at INSEAD (or other 1 yr prgms)? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 09:22
oodl wrote:
Hey all. Looking to hear from some current students or alumni for first hand feedback.
I'm neither of the above, but here's my 2 cents:
Yes, an internship is a big deal, and will not only help you land a permanent offer establish a good network blah blah blah, but also, and IMO more importantly, give you a feel of the job and help determine whether it's your "calling".

Only embark upon a 1 yr program if you've already identified your target industry/role. Ideally, you should have started networking well before your MBA program starts. Try and land a pre-MBA internship. A 1yr program is not for you if you want to use the year to "find yourself".

You might find this blog post interesting: http://insead-the-journey.blogspot.com/ ... er-or.html

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Able to switch careers at INSEAD (or other 1 yr prgms)? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 18:38
thanks for the reply rasta!

rasta wrote:
oodl wrote:
I'm neither of the above, but here's my 2 cents:
Yes, an internship is a big deal, and will not only help you land a permanent offer establish a good network blah blah blah, but also, and IMO more importantly, give you a feel of the job and help determine whether it's your "calling".

Only embark upon a 1 yr program if you've already identified your target industry/role. Ideally, you should have started networking well before your MBA program starts. Try and land a pre-MBA internship. A 1yr program is not for you if you want to use the year to "find yourself".

You might find this blog post interesting: http://insead-the-journey.blogspot.com/ ... er-or.html
Manager
Manager

Re: Able to switch careers at INSEAD (or other 1 yr prgms)? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 17:04
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Now that I've graduated and gone through the recruiting process, I wanted to answer my own question for others who may be wondering the same.

I don't think a 1 year (or 10 month) program puts you at a disadvantage for consulting recruiting. You just need to make sure you spend enough time prepping for the interview. Kids at INSEAD (as well as Kellogg 1 year program) regularly get into MBB and beyond.

Consulting companies want smart people who can crush the case interview. It doesn't matter if you were a teacher, a marketer, an entrepreneur, or a profession athlete. As long as you show them you are smart (through grades/interview) and cool (through networking), you can get an interview and, if you interview well, get an offer. Interviews don't test anything you can't learn in a book like Case in Point.

Note that this is specific to consulting recruiting. Industry recruiting (tech, health care, education, energy, etc.) often care about previous work experience and having a summer internship really helps make that jump.
Re: Able to switch careers at INSEAD (or other 1 yr prgms)?   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 17:04