Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 May 2016, 13:13
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2003
Posts: 424
Location: Aus
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2004, 11:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statictics

20. Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their disposable incomes have increased. Abolish taxes, and public employees would find that their incomes have disappeared. Which one of the following is a logical conclusion that depends on information in both of the statements above?

(A) Public offices should be abolished so that disposable incomes will rise. (B) The only real taxpayers are those who would have more to spend if they did not pay taxes.
(C) Public employees are not real taxpayers.
(D) Public employees’ incomes should not be taxed since they come from taxes.
(E) If there were no taxes, then public employees could not be paid.

Explain your answer.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1811
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2004, 12:03
E, since the money for salaries of public employee come from common people
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2004, 12:51
I'd go with E. It was b/w C and E
C) We cannot conclude this. Public employees could still be real taxpayers. If taxes are abolished, they would have their disposable income increased. If taxes are abolished, they could not receive any salary for some reason other than not being a real taxpayer. The two reasons are independent of each other and no link can be established.
E) Only thing that we can direcly infer. No tax, then no pay.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 273
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2004, 14:44
Paul wrote:
I'd go with E. It was b/w C and E
C) We cannot conclude this. Public employees could still be real taxpayers. If taxes are abolished, they would have their disposable income increased. If taxes are abolished, they could not receive any salary for some reason other than not being a real taxpayer. The two reasons are independent of each other and no link can be established.
E) Only thing that we can direcly infer. No tax, then no pay.


I think you might be reading into it a bit to much Paul, but the stimulus explictly asks what can be deduced by using both facts mentioned, and I think E ignores one of the facts.

Fact 1:

Real Taxpayers have the characteristic that their income increases in the absence of taxes.

Fact 2:

Public Employees have the characteristic that their income becomes non-existent in the income of taxes.

It is therefore impossible to be a Real Taxpayer and a Public Employee per the facts.

if A (public employee) -> B
and AA (real taxpayer) -> ~B

by contraposite

B -> ~AA

by transitive

A -> ~AA (or public employe is not real taxpayer)..

Then again, i've been wrong a lot lately, so go figure :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2003
Posts: 353
Location: Manhattan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 18:36
Pretty bizarre - I posted a response to this post yesterday, and now it's gone...
Only C uses BOTH statements to draw a conclusion. Hence C is the answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 18:55
E seems to have the direct relation with the given information.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5062
Location: Singapore
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 20:08
I find it incredible that C should be the answer. This looks like one of those question where it requires you to infer something from the stimulus. In this repect, E should be a perfect choice.

And yes, yesterday I poseted 3 messages but got them 'lost' as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 20:18
I agree with the lost messages... I actually saw 2 RC questions I wanted to answer tonight... nowhere to be found. I feel bad for the person who typed them.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2004
Posts: 893
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 20:34
E only.

The public employees are also salaried (and pay taxes) and would have more disposable income if taxes are abolished. However, if they cant be given salaries - as the salaries for the public employees are from tax revenues otherwise - then?

Also, What's about 'real tax payers'? - there is no 'unreral tax payers'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 273
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 23:29
venksune wrote:
E only.

The public employees are also salaried (and pay taxes) and would have more disposable income if taxes are abolished. However, if they cant be given salaries - as the salaries for the public employees are from tax revenues otherwise - then?

Also, What's about 'real tax payers'? - there is no 'unreral tax payers'.


I think you are reading into the stimulus... I admit that the stimulus is absurd, but you need to throw away outside knowledge when doing these problems and solve them logically.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2003
Posts: 353
Location: Manhattan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2004, 09:33
ywilfred wrote:
I find it incredible that C should be the answer. This looks like one of those question where it requires you to infer something from the stimulus. In this repect, E should be a perfect choice.

And yes, yesterday I poseted 3 messages but got them 'lost' as well.


E is a perfect, safest choice. What you're neglecting is the question stem.
"Which one of the following is a logical conclusion that depends on information in both of the statements above"

If the question stem hadn't mentioned 'both' in it, E would indeed be the right answer. But because you must use both statements to arrive at the right answer, C prevails.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2004
Posts: 35
Location: Mumbai INDIA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2004, 05:25
Whats the OA>..

I cant seem to choose between C and E.......

Can someone give a stronger reason why E cannot be the answer.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 273
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2004, 16:07
crackgmat04 wrote:
Whats the OA>..

I cant seem to choose between C and E.......

Can someone give a stronger reason why E cannot be the answer.....


C is the OA. See the post right before yours for why E cannot be the answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Posts: 218
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Taxes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2004, 03:46
Geethu wrote:
20. Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their disposable incomes have increased. Abolish taxes, and public employees would find that their incomes have disappeared. Which one of the following is a logical conclusion that depends on information in both of the statements above?

(A) Public offices should be abolished so that disposable incomes will rise. (B) The only real taxpayers are those who would have more to spend if they did not pay taxes.
(C) Public employees are not real taxpayers.
(D) Public employees’ incomes should not be taxed since they come from taxes.
(E) If there were no taxes, then public employees could not be paid.

Explain your answer.



C must be the answer

The question is "which of the following is a logical conclusion that depends on information in BOTH of the statements above?"
E doesn't use information from the first statement. That's why E cannot be the answer
Re: CR- Taxes   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2004, 03:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
17 Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their nitya34 35 24 Feb 2009, 22:26
1 Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their GMATBLACKBELT 15 17 Nov 2007, 15:02
Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their rdg 9 27 Feb 2007, 10:19
Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their kripalkavi 14 28 Jan 2007, 21:24
Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their mailtheguru 7 04 Aug 2006, 09:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.