Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

About Big Four NYC office

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

About Big Four NYC office [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 16:12
Hi, everyone~ I am new to this forum and I felt lucky that I found this resource.

I just got summer internship offers from KPMG and E&Y NYC offices, and trying to make a decision. I've asked several people, and they all said "you would get great experience with either firm".

Does any one familiar with the NYC office of the two companies? Any comment is appreciated!
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: About Big Four NYC office [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:18
As someone who used to work in the NYC office of one of the Big 4 that isn't E&Y or KPMG, I'd say go to E&Y. True, the experience at any of the Big 4 will be very similar, but in my opinion E&Y has a better positioned practice in most areas with a better client portfolio and more competitive in proposals. Also, just based on my unscientific sample of people I knew at both firms, the people at E&Y just generally seemed to be a bit more fun and better able to pass the "who would I want to be working with at 11pm" test.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: About Big Four NYC office [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:21
bestvv wrote:
Hi, everyone~ I am new to this forum and I felt lucky that I found this resource.

I just got summer internship offers from KPMG and E&Y NYC offices, and trying to make a decision. I've asked several people, and they all said "you would get great experience with either firm".

Does any one familiar with the NYC office of the two companies? Any comment is appreciated!

Summer internship at any of the Big 4 is going to be pretty much similar. They are going to take you to ball games, dinners, broadway shows, and bunch of other activities. It's nothing like what it would be like on the actual job, no matter what they tell you. The goal is to sign you up, while also separating the best candidates from the rest.

It depends on what you would be doing. I think KPMG has bigger and better tax practice, while E&Y probably has better audit practice compared to KPMG. But again, go where you want to go. Life at Big 4 after graduation is going to be pretty much the same experience.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: About Big Four NYC office [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 16:23
Jerz and Nink, thank you for your reply! I have mixed feelings when I read the "who would I want to be working with at 11pm" test...

I felt that both of the firm are trying hard selling themselves. So all I heard were great things about them which are also very similar.

I interviewed for audit, but I am also interested in potentially move to advisory and transaction services. Do any one of you know who is stronger and better client portfolio in those areas?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: About Big Four NYC office [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 17:09
bestvv wrote:
I interviewed for audit, but I am also interested in potentially move to advisory and transaction services. Do any one of you know who is stronger and better client portfolio in those areas?

Thanks!

Of those two, E&Y. Out of all the Big 4 though I'd say Deloitte has the best advisory/consulting practice, and PwC has the best audit and TS practice.

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: About Big Four NYC office [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 17:29
Pretty sure I read that KPMG has the largest advisory practice. Could be wrong though.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Re: About Big Four NYC office   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2009, 17:29