Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

About Reading Comprehension

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
About Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2003, 16:35
Hi BB
From your previous post, you think that I can repeat using the stuff in kaplan verbal book if I prepare my RC section of GMAT.
I want to understand whether this practice harm progression of preparing RC because I think we should need some new essay and question to practice constantly the so-called pattern, right?
If you repeat reading those essay you have seen, you could have realized their main idea; thus, you might do well on used essay.
This point makes me confused.
Therefore, I take GMAT Plus stuff as my exercise workbook on preparing GMAT.
What is your comment about this issue?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2220

Kudos [?]: 8215 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: About Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2003, 21:03
Expert's post
chihao wrote:
Hi BB
From your previous post, you think that I can repeat using the stuff in kaplan verbal book if I prepare my RC section of GMAT.
I want to understand whether this practice harm progression of preparing RC because I think we should need some new essay and question to practice constantly the so-called pattern, right?
If you repeat reading those essay you have seen, you could have realized their main idea; thus, you might do well on used essay.
This point makes me confused.
Therefore, I take GMAT Plus stuff as my exercise workbook on preparing GMAT.
What is your comment about this issue?

My general belief is that once you used some GMAT material - the only use you have from it is to come back and see your errors and where you screwed up - you can't sue it twice unless it is a passage/problem you keep having problems with and you decided to practice your top 10 worst problems.

The reason is that due to some magic, our mind is capable of remembering the passage adn the answer choices and sometimes even the correct answer choice - so when I encounter a passage I have read once, I already know what it is about/questions/etc, so I am not answering the questions - I am just looking for the answer. Also, it is very boring to read them over again and it is not really fair to do that since you are reaidng it second time and you will never have that privilege on the GMAT.

i am just trying to be logical..

0-=
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

try new material [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2003, 02:50
never never reread the passages, for practicing for the test.l

use the pasages you have read to get the structure of the passage and se if you could use a similar pattern in the next test
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

RC [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2003, 12:35
Baronharsh and BB:
I'm still not very clear on what each of u is trying to say, Can you both elaborate a bit or give a detailed strategy for approaching RC.
I feel without knowing whats in the passage how can we answer, especially roman notation questions, also, how can we answer main idea questions and EXCEPT questions.
Not reading a passage might help in specific questions with line no. but not in general idea. What do u think?
I know BB believes in reading a passage in first 2-3 minutes and attemot the question in the remaining 2-3 minutes. In that case we need to refer back to the passage again and again and thats a wastage of time. As I am bad at retaining what i read in one go.
I found a strategy in Arco- it states that u read the question first and then read 1st line of each para and then make an outline of whats in each para and go back on the basis of that outline. This approach works in most cases for me. But sometimes this approach exceeds the time limit.
So can anybody suggest a foolpoof startegy for RC for people like me who just cant remember what they read a few minutes back.
I tried making notes after reading the passage but i never required to look at them.
I took Kaplan's test yesterday i could do all the questions in one passage correctly as i understood the passage well, but in the second passage as it was too technical/scientific i could not do so well, the only reasoon was i couldnot understand the passage besides reading it again and again and wasted lot of time.
RC   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2003, 12:35