Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
http://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-submission-deadline-looming-how-should-i-proceed-132237.html?hilit=score#p1083248
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-week-before-the-test-gmat-prep-scores-are-abysmal-129483.html?hilit=score#p1062979

The above is a past post of mine to give a bit of background information. I submitted my application to the school of my choosing and found out that it can take almost two months for a decision (whether or not you're accepted). Because of my low GMAT score (560) I have the possibility of not being accepted. They recommend around a 600, but slightly higher if you do not have the recommended length of full time work experience. The rest of my application was great; very high gpa, good volunteer/leadership in organizations, and good letters of recommendation. Here is my conundrum; I took my last GMAT early in May and have not studied GMAT materials since then, trying to give my brain a rest. Once I heard about the two month decision, I started wondering if I should study again. Basically what I'm asking is, should I start hardcore studying again or try to just glance over my short list of GMAT notes every once and a while? For those of you who have taken breaks, do you regret them if you have to take the GMAT again or is it easy to pick up where you left off?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 37

Re: About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 17:57
Very interesting question. I'll tackle the specific question about taking breaks. I found that after taking about a month break that upon return, I had regressed. I think the key to solve that is to focus A LOT on the fundamentals. Drill those fundamentals into your head so that you know them for the rest of your life, then study the advanced stuff. This will enable you to more easily refresh the topics which you haven't looked at for a while.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 14:52
vandygrad11 wrote:
Very interesting question. I'll tackle the specific question about taking breaks. I found that after taking about a month break that upon return, I had regressed. I think the key to solve that is to focus A LOT on the fundamentals. Drill those fundamentals into your head so that you know them for the rest of your life, then study the advanced stuff. This will enable you to more easily refresh the topics which you haven't looked at for a while.

If I really hit the MGMAT Math books hard (at least in my opinion), in your opinion what is the next best math book? I feel like my math has gone up slightly (high twenties to an average of low thirties) but nowhere near enough for how much I've focused on it 75% versus about 25% of my time on Verbal. I consistently see success stories on the forums but they always seem to be for people who bump up their verbal whereas I'm fine with my verbal score (low to mid thirties). I think if I could bump up my math score, I could definitely see more of an improvement in my score.

Edit: GMAT practice tests and real tests

March = Practice (Gmat version 1) - 470, 490 (q27, v31). Actual GMAT: 530 (q33, v29).
April = Practice (Gmat version 1) - 520, MGMAT practice of 650.
May = Practice - 620 (gmat version 2 prep), day before test (gmat version 2 prep): q35,v35 so 580. Actual GMAT: Q32, V35.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 10:37
Anybody else have thoughts, especially towards my math book question in the last post?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 16:50
I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for in terms of specificity but for math if you know the fundamentals of the concepts tested in quant you can do any quant problem provided you recognize the concept being tested. MGMAT is great for teaching the concepts of the test IMO (not sure how many of their books you have, but you obviously have one if you're taking MGMAT practice tests). Quant was my bigger challenge too and this fundamental focus helped me out a lot.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:54
RyanP wrote:
I feel like my math has gone up slightly (high twenties to an average of low thirties) but nowhere near enough for how much I've focused on it 75% versus about 25% of my time on Verbal. I consistently see success stories on the forums but they always seem to be for people who bump up their verbal whereas I'm fine with my verbal score (low to mid thirties). I think if I could bump up my math score, I could definitely see more of an improvement in my score.

From what I understand, given that the gmat test taking population is heavily leaned towards quants, having an additional points on the verbals will give you a higher overall score than the same number of additional points on quants. Scarcity gets more credit here.

I'm not saying don't focus on improving your quant, but perhaps give more than 25% your time to verbal.
Re: About To Jump Back Into The Gmat - A Few Questions   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2012, 19:54