Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
I visited this forum a couple of times before I took the GMAT but didn't find what I was looking for - A post that said the equivalent of "If you have above average Verbal skills and above average Quants skills, one month of study is all you need to get a 700+ score".

Now that I've taken the exam and given that I have, even if I say so myself, above average Quants and Verbal skills, I'd like to say that the above IS true. I estimate I prepared for no more than 100 hours in the month before I took the exam. In my mock tests, I was seeing scores in the higher 600s and that disappointed me a little.
However, in the actual exam, I got a 740 (49Q, 41V)!

My prep material / Mock Tests:
1. OG 12
2. OG 11
3. Barron's
1. 4 Princeton Review Tests (Average Score = 660)
2. 2 GMAT Prep Tests (Average Score 690)

My advice to people with good verbal and Quants Skills:
1. Since you've got a good background, you've won half the battle already. Congrats.
2. Do timed sample tests.
3. Do timed sample tests.
4. Do timed sample tests.
5. Do timed sample tests.
6. Pray.

My advice on the day of the exam:
1. Utilise each of the two 8 minute breaks between sections. Drink water, take a leak and clear your head. And get back on time.

2. Treat the GMAT as a war you have to win. Psych yourself before and during the exam. Stay strong. If need be, repeat the Obama '08 campaign slogan, Yes, We Can.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 01:15
great suggestion. thanks!

Truth is infinite, understanding is finite

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 09:18
Well thanks for the advice .. i too agree with you ..

just something at the back of my mind .....41 in verbal, according to me is a bit above average ..
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD & LBS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 13:39
GMATeteer wrote:
I visited this forum a couple of times before I took the GMAT but didn't find what I was looking for - A post that said the equivalent of "If you have above average Verbal skills and above average Quants skills, one month of study is all you need to get a 700+ score".

Now that I've taken the exam and given that I have, even if I say so myself, above average Quants and Verbal skills, I'd like to say that the above IS true. I estimate I prepared for no more than 100 hours in the month before I took the exam. In my mock tests, I was seeing scores in the higher 600s and that disappointed me a little.
However, in the actual exam, I got a 740 (49Q, 41V)!

My prep material / Mock Tests:
1. OG 12
2. OG 11
3. Barron's
1. 4 Princeton Review Tests (Average Score = 660)
2. 2 GMAT Prep Tests (Average Score 690)

My advice to people with good verbal and Quants Skills:
1. Since you've got a good background, you've won half the battle already. Congrats.
2. Do timed sample tests.
3. Do timed sample tests.
4. Do timed sample tests.
5. Do timed sample tests.
6. Pray.

My advice on the day of the exam:
1. Utilise each of the two 8 minute breaks between sections. Drink water, take a leak and clear your head. And get back on time.

2. Treat the GMAT as a war you have to win. Psych yourself before and during the exam. Stay strong. If need be, repeat the Obama '08 campaign slogan, Yes, We Can.

Congratulations!!!
I wish I could manage that kind of score :)
All the best buddy!
Cheers
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 13:43
Congratulations!!

Good that the above eqn worked for you and I hope it works for me too.....??

I believe, at least for me the following could be eqn:
Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours + "something more" = 700+ score
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: MIT (ding), Stanford (WL w/int), Wharton (WL w/ int), Emory (admitted!)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 10:01
You were completely right! :D
720 score!
Re: Above Average Quants & Verbal Skills + 100 hours= 700+ score   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2009, 10:01