Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 21:55
Well my question what's the minimum score that could be classified as "good enough" to get into any IVY league school ? I mean do adcoms treat any score above say 720 in the same way or do they treat a 760 much more favourably than a 720 ?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 589 [0], given: 114

Re: Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 12:00
There is no threshhold where scores will be treated "the same". A 760 is better than a 720, regardless of what Adcom looks at it. The thing you have to consider though is how much will a 760 help vs a 720? Probably only minimally. And between a 720 and a 710 or 730, the difference is extremely small. So incrementally once you reach 710 or above, you will have to push up by about 30 points to really make any difference noticable in your chances for admission.

But there is not level where GMAT scores are considered the same unless you don't reach a certain minimum. Although no schools have a set minimum where they won't look at your application, I'm sure if you are 50 points or more below the school's bottom 10% range, you probably won't even get your application looked at. So I guess all scores that low would be considered the same.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 18:40
Yeah so a score of around 710-730 should give you a decent chance t any school right ?

I'm asking because I see people in other forums saying the want to retake the test despite scoring 730+ ! What could be the reason for that ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 589 [1] , given: 114

Re: Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Yeah so a score of around 710-730 should give you a decent chance t any school right ?

I'm asking because I see people in other forums saying the want to retake the test despite scoring 730+ ! What could be the reason for that ?

There are three reasons to retake in that range.

1) You blew it on the quant section (aka Q42 V50 for a 730 or something like that) Even with a high overall score, a really low quant score can hurt your overall chances.
2) You are going for a scholarship. Often times a really high GMAT can help if you absolutely need a scholarship, or think you are strong enough in other areas to earn a merrit scholarship but need a 99% score
3) You left a bunch of points on the table. If all your practice tests are at 770 and you scored a 710, then it's worth a retake b/c 60 points more is obviously going to help your application.

With a 710-730, your GMAT won't KEEP you out of any school in the world. But at the same time a 770 will not GET you into any top school in the country. Once you've hit a strong score, it's your job to bring a strong application in every other area. At a certain point, you have to decide how your limited time and resources are best spent to improve your application. If you are shooting for a 10-30 point increase on the GMAT (which is never a guarantee) your time is most likely better spent in other areas. A higher GMAT score is always better, but you have to consider the opportunity cost of taking the GMAT again.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 03:19
Thanks for the input !

Re: Above what level are gmat scores treated the same ?   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2012, 03:19