Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Acc. to the enrollment statistics published by U.S medical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 18:53
My vote is for B.

the "as...as" idiom is just right here.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-number of students [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 20:43
itishaj wrote:
Acc. to the enrollment statistics published by U.S medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical schools.

A)the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical schools
B)as many females as male students are currently enrolled in medical schools
C)the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical schools
D)as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
E)female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school.

Plz explain....

Good Question.

I will pick B.

Acc. to the enrollment statistics published by U.S medical schools,as many females as male students are currently enrolled in medical schools.

Reasons:
- as many as structure
- ||ism

Although "females" is not mentioned as "female students", however I feel if "females" are enrolled in the medical college, they should be considered as "female students" of medical schools.

Regards,
Brajesh

Last edited by b14kumar on 13 Jun 2006, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 21:46
I saw this one earlier in Kaplan GMAT 800. Had picked (E) at the first pass but the OA is (B). The explanation for (B) over (E) is that B is more concise and succint although i didn't seen them pick any holes in (E).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-number of students [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 01:26
itishaj wrote:
Acc. to the enrollment statistics published by U.S medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical schools.

A)the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical schools
C)the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical schools
D)as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
E)female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school.

Plz explain....

I remember it's said in some post that "is equivalent to" is better used for quanlitive comparison, not quantitive comparison. Thus, I eliminate A.
C: the number of .....as many as .....the number of ---> extremely awkward.
D somehow distorts the original meaning.
It's difficult to deny E but I bet B on this one.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 02:05
>> 'equvivalent' usage is not good here to compare numbers. 'equal to' or 'equvivalent' can be used in very broad sense, to compare countable or non-countable objects.

>> The only problem I see here is comparision of "females with male students"

>> Out! number can't be as many as.

>> Out! "as great as", also awkward construction.

>> This changes the meaning, it indicates as if students are enrolled in equal number 'purposely'

Less problematic choice: B
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC-number of students [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 06:27
itishaj wrote:

Plz explain....

According to my copy of the 2005-06 Kap800, answer choice (B) should read:

as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school.

Also, can reconfirm that the OA is (B) because it is the most succint option.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-number of students [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 08:19
B seems good.

I don't think females and male students violate parallelism.
If 'females' is changed to 'female students', it looks redundant.
==> female students are enrolled in medical schools.

And 'male students' looks ok, too.
Because we cannot say
"As many females as males who are enrolled in medical schools are enrolled in medical schools"

You go, we go

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 08:46
I thought it was E :(

Can you put in the OE plz?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2007, 10:13
vivek123 wrote:
>> 'equvivalent' usage is not good here to compare numbers. 'equal to' or 'equvivalent' can be used in very broad sense, to compare countable or non-countable objects.

>> The only problem I see here is comparision of "females with male students"

>> Out! number can't be as many as.

>> Out! "as great as", also awkward construction.

>> This changes the meaning, it indicates as if students are enrolled in equal number 'purposely'

Less problematic choice: B

I agree. In E, it seems that the same ratio of male/female students are enrolled in each school. Medical school is confusing because it actually refers to a group of schools.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-number of students [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 10:56
bmwhype2 wrote:
selene wrote:
"the number .. as many as" is wrong. It should be " as much as ". :peek

example?

ok i see. many is countable. a number is countable.

OA is B.
Re: SC-number of students   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2007, 10:56