Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accept Wharton or wait another year?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What should I do?

• 86% [44]
  • 13% [7]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 11:23
Here is my scenario. I was just accepted into Wharton, but I am cautious of my future after my MBA. I don't believe an MBA is an end, but rather a launch pad into a future career. Here is a bit of my profile.

GMAT 720
GPA 3.91
Work experience 2 years corporate finance in the manufacturing industry

My concern is finding relevant employment after I have completed my degree. Will employers be turned off due to my lower-than-average work experience? My end goals are to go back into corporate finance in the same industry and eventually become a CFO. I'm concerned I'll end up with an MBA, but no job prospects. Any suggestions?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 11:25
One of the most important factors affecting whether or not a business school admits an applicant is, "Is this person employable post MBA." If Wharton did not think you could get a job you would not have gotten in. 2 years experience + MBA is enough to get you hired at great firms in lovely positions. Don't doubt yourself.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
haha,..no offense but I feel like this poll is similar to asking...."What should I do... eat a cheese pizza or stab myself in the neck"...no contest,...have some pizza and go to Wharton.

In all seriousness though,....if your concern is relevant employment,...God help us all if a Wharton grad can't find relevant employment. You'll be fine on that account. And that goes double if you want to do finance, you won't find a better place than Wharton.

Secondly,..I'm sure there are many companies within finance that will view your youth and callowness as a plus. The younger you are the more they can mold you/make you do the grunt work. Your age is an asset not a hindrance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 12:38
If you got in Wharton, congratulations!

Now go. Just because you got in this year doesn't mean you'll get in next year, especially at a place like Wharton.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 13:16
Quality of experience matters more than the quantity but I do understand your concern: it is essentially about fit. You are asking yourself "how will I feel among my peers there who have much more work experience than me?", "will I disappoint firms coming to campus which will see Im the odd man out there?".

Stop any speculation and go ahead talk to career services and mba admissions of Wharton. Contact the club officers in the desired industry. Go straight to the source. I highly doubt someone will mislead you.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 13:17
You are lucky! Go and never look back :)

Reward wisdom with kudos

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 22:05
I think the above posters that state "its wharton of course you will do fine" aren't really thinking about the situation in its entirety. When you are applying for jobs you are competing against your peers, who will on average have 2-3 years of additional experience on you. Think, if you were an employer and there are two applicants, obviously both at wharton, one of which has 2 years experience the other 4 or 5, who would you choose. The argument of quality over quantity does hold because this is wharton after all, everyone has quality.

You are obviously a smart guy/gal and you won't be unemployable you just won't be as competitive as the majority of your peers for positions that you will most likely be applying. So you will get a job but it might not be your dream job.

At the end of the day either decision you make you will be fine but I think 1-2 more years of experience will put you in a better position to get the most out of bschool as your career goals will be more refined. You will also have 2 more years of salary and savings which is always nice. Also, the argument that you got in once but not again doesn't really hold as your gpa and gmats are rock solid and your work experience is only gonna get better.

What you should really do it ask yourself what you want and why you want to go to school. If it doesn't make sense don't go. You are still super young and have tons of potential. Mainly, don't let fear dictate your decision making process.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 03:03
Go ahead. It's Wharton!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 04:24
We are all MBA lovers, that's why we are here...

Now go to Wharton!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 05:50
Ok fact: Getting into Wharton is NOT an easy task.

The fact that you got in without much work experience speaks VOLUMES about you as a candidate. I would like to believe that the adcoms know what they are doing and accepted you because they saw something in you. Employability is one of the things they evaluate you on. So here you are given a chance of a lifetime (ok slightly dramatic but you get the point), why would you risk it? There is no guarantee that you will get in again. Just go and never look back. Yes you will be evaluated against your peers, but hey thats life at a top 10 school. I am sure you will be just fine. Besides you may not get your dream job straight out of school but the Wharton name will be with you forever, and lets not underestimate what that will do for your career.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 06:37
ke18sb wrote:
I think the above posters that state "its wharton of course you will do fine" aren't really thinking about the situation in its entirety. When you are applying for jobs you are competing against your peers, who will on average have 2-3 years of additional experience on you. Think, if you were an employer and there are two applicants, obviously both at wharton, one of which has 2 years experience the other 4 or 5, who would you choose. The argument of quality over quantity does hold because this is wharton after all, everyone has quality.

You are obviously a smart guy/gal and you won't be unemployable you just won't be as competitive as the majority of your peers for positions that you will most likely be applying. So you will get a job but it might not be your dream job.

At the end of the day either decision you make you will be fine but I think 1-2 more years of experience will put you in a better position to get the most out of bschool as your career goals will be more refined. You will also have 2 more years of salary and savings which is always nice. Also, the argument that you got in once but not again doesn't really hold as your gpa and gmats are rock solid and your work experience is only gonna get better.

What you should really do it ask yourself what you want and why you want to go to school. If it doesn't make sense don't go. You are still super young and have tons of potential. Mainly, don't let fear dictate your decision making process.

Asking him to wait 1-2 years is wrong. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, he may never get into Wharton again. And as I said,..you're assuming that more work experience = better candidate. WRONG. IBs prefer younger folks. And when you get into Wharton,...at that point interview skills will trump work experience. They're not hiring you based on what you've done,...they're hiring you on your potential.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 06:46
I feel like I am being trolled .....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 12:10
Troll radar uncertain.

Go. Your relative lack of work experience will keep you out of a handful of jobs - but they are only a handful (and may or may not even be of interest anyway). Most importantly, if you intend to stay in a similar function/industry then your work experience is arguably more relevant than that of a career switcher (of which there will be many). Also, keep in mind that your salary / offer wont likely change at all with 1 more year of experience, so why wait?
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year?   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2012, 12:10