Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:UNC class of 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Re: Accepted but retaking the GMAT [#permalink]
Aim higher (750+) when you get into the test center...I think your preparations are good enough to score very high in the actual test...be confident and knock it off !

BTW I am going to take the test mid-March....2nd attempt...we'll see how it goes.
mbahunter wrote:
Tom. is the big day. I prepped for four weeks then took the two real tests from gmat.com yesterday and today. Yesterday Q46 V 46 total 750. Today Q48 V41 total 730. Im almost depressed b/c I feel like I have no chance of actually getting those scores. All I want is a 700!

I dont know anymore than last time...my trick is chewing gum, it takes up enough of my brain to mostly focus on the question at hand as opposed to "I wonder how Im doing, wow a 750 would be awesome, sure hope I dont screw it up..etc etc etc"

Anyone else have the same issue when taking the GMAT?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I received my official score report today, so now I feel comfortable posting this:

I GOT A 710! (48Q/38V, 5.5 AWA)

I was accepted to Columbia with a 690, and now I scored a 710 for recruiting purposes. Next year, I will be sure to report on how the 710 affects my internship hunt.

Good luck to those who are going the non-traditional route to a 700+!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Congrats for joining the 700+ club !
djhouse81 wrote:
I received my official score report today, so now I feel comfortable posting this:

I was accepted to Columbia with a 690, and now I scored a 710 for recruiting purposes. Next year, I will be sure to report on how the 710 affects my internship hunt.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
mbahunter wrote:
I dont know anymore than last time...my trick is chewing gum, it takes up enough of my brain to mostly focus on the question at hand as opposed to "I wonder how Im doing, wow a 750 would be awesome, sure hope I dont screw it up..etc etc etc"

Maybe it was just the center where I took the test, but I recall seeing on the rules that you aren't allowed to chew gum. I'm not sure how exactly they enforce this, but, for the sake of other test takers, please don't chew the gum loudly.

Originally posted by Rubashov1 on 26 Feb 2008, 15:42.
Last edited by Rubashov1 on 26 Feb 2008, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:

Did your official score change from your unofficial? (Now I'm nervous) :oops: :oops:

Either way, congratulations!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:

Did your official score change from your unofficial? (Now I'm nervous) :oops: :oops:

Either way, congratulations!

No it didn't, and it probably never does, don't be nervous. I am always more comfortable saying something when it is "official." That's just me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
obviously I would not chew it loudly, I really just keep it tucked in the corner of my mouth, its weird, that simple action lets me focus on the questions and not freaking out about the greater implications of the test
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
congrats DJ!
Current Student
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
congrats DJ!

Thanks Kry, I appreciate it. I knew that I could do it, and, finally, I did. No more GMAT ever again!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hey many congratulations !!! I didnt realise you were taking it again .. well done and thanks for finding time to help me out with my application during what would have been valuable gmat prep time.

ps. AWA 5.5 ?? are you sure its not something like 6.5 (if it is at all possible).

djhouse81 wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
You're right! 5.5? I was robbed! Just kidding. I went down AWA, but I'll live. I sped through AWA. I think I had at least 10 minutes extra for each section, so I will take a 5.5. I'm just happy to not be hurting the Columbia GMAT average anymore, which I think is 709 (not rounded to the nearest GMAT score).

I'm glad I could be of help, bsd. It was based on all of your experiences, and it was you who did all of the work, I just gave some suggestions. Now it's time for you to take down those interviews! You have the GMAT Club support behind you, 1000%!!!

bsd_lover wrote:
Hey many congratulations !!! I didnt realise you were taking it again .. well done and thanks for finding time to help me out with my application during what would have been valuable gmat prep time.

ps. AWA 5.5 ?? are you sure its not something like 6.5 (if it is at all possible).

djhouse81 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:

Congrats DJ. How long did you study for before you took this exam? How much of a gap was there b etween your 690 exam and 710 exam?
Current Student
Send PM
I had been studying since November. I studied fairly hard during the week, but I made sure to take a break for the weekends. I used 1000 sets, all OG books, GMATPrep, MGMAT SC, and Powerscore CR Bible. I relearned everything that I forgot, and I focused on my weak areas: CR and timing.

I got my 690 back in July of '06. However, I took the GMAT twice in summer of '07, and scored in mid-600's both times. Hey, I never said that my path to 710 was a pretty one. :? My strategy at that time was to spend extra time on the first 10-15 questions in a section, inflate my score, and hope that the remaining questions would be easy enough to maintain my high score. Well, "hope" is not a strategy. And, for those who think it is better to spend more time on the earlier questions than on the later questions (there is an ongoing debate regarding this strategy), IMO you're only digging yourself into the depths of time mismanagement...GMAT suicide.

It was not until around the time that I was accepted to Columbia that I asked Emoryhopeful about his GMAT strategy. He told me to quickly skip the questions that I could not possibly get, and give myself more time on the ones that I could. I employed that strategy thereafter, and it really made a difference. For the first time, I was in control of the test, as opposed to the test controlling me. So, I studied for a few months, made sure that I knew everything that I possibly could, and took the test. I came across some toughies, gave them a minute, and skipped them if they were hopeless. I never had to rush at the end, and I am confident that made the difference. That, and the Powerscore CR Bible--for me that book was a breath of fresh air when I was dealing with CR.

That concludes my debrief as a new member of the 700+ Club. :-D

gmat2gmat wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:

Congrats DJ. How long did you study for before you took this exam? How much of a gap was there b etween your 690 exam and 710 exam?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ohhhhh that sucked ass, 670 Q42...WTF!!!!!!!!!! V40

The GMAT is a total crapshoot for me, since I am already accepted at school it wont hurt if I take it again right? I just want recruiters to see that sweet sweet 700 and not my 690, I wish I could combine my Q45 and V40 for a 700! But I guess they dont do that. I am going to study for a week and take it april 1 hungover.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Usually, the GMATPrep is a fair indication of your actual score. I wonder why there was such a big difference in your case.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have NO IDEA, I only use the GMATprep b/c I know its accurate, it was right on last time 690 the day before and 690 on the real deal, 7 months later 760and 730 and I get a 670....shocked!!! One of the questions I should complain about, it totally has to be a misprint and made no sense whatsoever even though I knew everything about the topic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
I seemed to notice at least one errant question per section of the sample tests in my gmat prep book (I think it was Petersons?) I found it rather annoying.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3