Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accepted into 3 MSM programs...What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Accepted into 3 MSM programs...What to do? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 07:38
Need feedback on the following schools I was admitted into:

I have been admitted into Clemson University, The University of Alabama, and the University of South Florida Graduate schools to study Master of Science in Marketing.

My overall goal is to pursue a PhD in Marketing, focus on Consumer Behavior.

Here are my concerns:
MBA Rankings for Clemson and USF are not ranked and Alabama is #63
When it comes to UTD research rankings for Marketing Journals:
USF is #123 Clemson is #189 and Alabama is not ranked

Clemson and USF curriculum focuses more on marketing research and emphasis on the research project. Alabama covers more marketing topics (such as brand management, project management, promotional management, etc) but not much emphasis on research.

I am leaning towards Clemson or University of South Florida because of the research focus, but when searching for current marketing phd candidates, I find more from Alabama and University of South Florida (searching through google and going through each PhD school's candidates).

I could use some advice on what school would allow me a stronger opportunity to get into a descent PhD program.

Thank you!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Accepted into 3 MSM programs...What to do? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 18:28
Expert's post
All three schools would be considered comparable academically, so the best thing to do would be pick one where you think you can excel the best (or perhaps resonate with a faculty member doing research in a particular area of marketing that interests you. For getting into PhD programs, a really good GPA in grad school will help, as will recommendations, so whereever you choose, just go there and knock em dead. You should have a good shot at a PhD program from any of the three if you excel while you are there. ANother thing do do would be to go ahead and contact the schools to which you are considering applying for the PhD program and simply ask them which of the three schools they prefer, explaining that you have been accepted to all three. You may just get the direct insight you seek by doing so. A final tip would be to apply for and pursue the PhD simultaneously with the MS degree--should cut a year off the schooling and might be an easier application headache to get accepted now for PhD program while you are pursuing the MS.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Accepted into 3 MSM programs...What to do? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 18:38
bryantmichaels wrote:
All three schools would be considered comparable academically, so the best thing to do would be pick one where you think you can excel the best (or perhaps resonate with a faculty member doing research in a particular area of marketing that interests you. For getting into PhD programs, a really good GPA in grad school will help, as will recommendations, so whereever you choose, just go there and knock em dead. You should have a good shot at a PhD program from any of the three if you excel while you are there. ANother thing do do would be to go ahead and contact the schools to which you are considering applying for the PhD program and simply ask them which of the three schools they prefer, explaining that you have been accepted to all three. You may just get the direct insight you seek by doing so. A final tip would be to apply for and pursue the PhD simultaneously with the MS degree--should cut a year off the schooling and might be an easier application headache to get accepted now for PhD program while you are pursuing the MS.

Bryant,

Thank you for your response! I felt that they were comparable academically, but wasn't sure if one had a better reputation than another. You made my decision easier :)

Thank you again!
Re: Accepted into 3 MSM programs...What to do?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 18:38