Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
6 Top Tips for Visiting Schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 6 Top Tips for Visiting Schools

School visit tip #1: Do it!

Our #1 tip for visiting schools is that you should definitely visit your target b-school if it makes logistical and financial sense. Programs understand that geography and financial resources can prevent a visit, but if it is possible to visit the schools on your list, then you certainly should – not because of imaginary “brownie points” that the school may or may not award you, but because you will be a better informed applicant after you visit than before. You will know more about the school and its culture. You will know more about why it appeals to you, what about its style matches yours, and how it supports your goals. You will also, most likely, prepare a better application for admission after you’ve learned more about the school.

Once you’ve made the decision to visit, we recommend that you follow this advice:

1. Visit when class is in session.

You want to get a feel for what life on campus is like. You won’t get much of an idea of student life if everyone’s on break. Likewise, if classes are done for the term and everyone is cramming for exams and taking tests, you won’t get the full day-to-day campus experience (though you will get to see what b-school students are like under pressure!).

Another good reason to go while class is in session is so that you can sit in on classes – definitely take advantage of this if your target program offers this option.

2. Take the tour and attend the info sessions.

Again, your goal is to learn as much as possible about the program. Don’t brush off the official tours because you’d rather explore on your own; instead, take the tour, sit through the info sessions, and explore on your own.

3. Talk to everyone!

B-school students and adcom are generally more than happy to talk with prospective students, so don’t miss out on the valuable opportunity to chat anyone and everyone about their b-school experience.

4. Prepare your questions in advance.

You’ll have the most productive conversations if you go in with some direction. Obviously questions will differ depending on what’s important to you and where you’re visiting, but here are some basic questions: What is a typical day like for a first or second year student? How do professors view their teaching – as an integrated approach to business, as part of the interconnection of business functions (and if interconnected, how do they collaborate with other professors), or simply as a job? How do they balance teaching and research? How are interview slots assigned? Is there a bidding process? What is it?

5. Review the school’s website before you go.

Asking questions is good; asking questions that are answered on the homepage of your target school’s website…not so good. Do your research ahead of time that you can ask specific, unique questions that show that you’ve done your homework as well as done some good quality thinking.

6. If you can’t visit a school, visit info sessions closer to home.

While this won’t facilitate experiencing life on campus, you will still get to make an appearance before the adcom and speak with students/alumni/faculty – whoever is leading the event. You can also do quite a bit of research by emailing current students and reading student blogs.

In short – visiting a school is highly recommended and if you go, you should take advantage of all of the school’s people and resources so you can learn as much as possible about whether you’re the right fit for the program. If, however, you’re unable to visit, then you should still do all you can to learn firsthand about your target schools so you can see how you’d fit in and optimize your applications to reflect that!

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: MBA Admissions, school visits

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Interview with Arun Prasad: An Accepted EMBA Applicant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Interview with Arun Prasad: An Accepted EMBA Applicant

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with MBA applicant bloggers, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at the MBA application process. And now…introducing Arun Prasad who will be starting at IIM-Calcutta’s PGPEX-VLM Executive Program in the fall.

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad?

Arun: My name is Arun Prasad. I’m from Bangalore, India. I did my Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering from MVJ College of Engineering, Bangalore. I presently work for Cessna Aircraft Company in Bangalore. I have about 6 years of work experience in Design, Analysis and Manufacturing.

Accepted: Congrats on your acceptance to IIM-Calcutta’s PGPEX-VLM Executive Program! Why did you choose that program? How is it the best program for you?

Arun: Thank you. I’ve always wanted to do a program that has a right balance between technical and management side of business. Something like a dual degree program. My initial Google search pointed me towards the MIT’s LGO (Leaders for Global Operations) and this happened to be my dream school. There were a couple of other schools like the Michigan Ross Tauber Institute and Kellogg’s MMM program and of course the PGPEX-VLM program.

I made a decision to choose PGPEX-VLM on various factors such as “Program Fit,” post MBA career goals, Batch size, Cost and Duration of the Program, Return on Investment, etc.

PGPEX-VLM (Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing) happens to be the perfect blend of technical competence along with right management and business skills. PGPEX-VLM is jointly conducted by IIM-Calcutta, IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Madras along with few industry consortiums like the CII, JICA and the governments of India and Japan.

IIM-Calcutta, which is one of the country’s best and oldest B-school imparts the Business and Management skills whereas the IIT’s, which is the country’s best technical institution (IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Madras) imparts the technical skills. So, PGPEX-VLM just happened to be the right program for me and I did not apply anywhere else.

Accepted: What is your current job? Why are you pursuing an MBA at this stage of your career? What do you plan on doing post-MBA — will you stay in your current industry and move to another field?

Arun: I work as a Manufacturing Engineer for Cessna. I do the Process Planning for Aircraft Sheet metal components and assemblies. It’s a purely technical role that I am in. Somewhere within me there is an itching that I want to do something more than planning how to manufacture Aircraft parts. I felt I must be associated with an operations role or on the strategy side of business. Though I work as a part of the Integrated Supply Chain in Cessna, I’m not involved in making Supply Chain decisions. This is when I gave a thought of doing a MBA and PGPEX-VLM happened to be the right program for me.

Post MBA, I would wish to venture into the Supply Chain side of business and I’m looking at few consulting positions as well. One of the reasons I chose Supply Chain is that, irrespective of industry, there are always challenges. I am highly interested in Defense Procurement as well.

Accepted: Can you talk about your experience with online courses? How has taken MOOCs influenced your Executive MBA goals?

Arun: Online courses are really cool. It all started when I saw a TED talk show of Daphne Koller (Founder of Coursera). Being a working professional, I’ve always felt the need to learn and keep learning. These MOOCs are a boon for working professionals. It is such a great platform to take the world’s best course, right at your home, at your convenience, and for free!! I signed up for a couple of courses from Wharton, University of Michigan and Stanford and I was awed. The same course is taught by the same professors for regular full time MBA students at top b-schools though a little variations do exists considering class size.

I’m the kind of a person who first likes to try and then decide. I took these MOOCs to have a firsthand experience of what to expect in a b-school and whether the subjects/concepts resonate with my thinking. It did. So, taking these MOOC has had an influence in my decision to pursue an MBA program.

Accepted: What would you say was your greatest challenge in the application process? What steps did you take to overcome that challenge?

Arun: PGPEX-VLM is one unique program and so is the application. Apart from regular MBA application elements like test scores, essays, and interviews, PGPEX-VLM has a aptitude test that tests the candidates on the fundamentals of Engineering (after all, it’s a techno-managerial program). The aptitude test had a wide range of topics from higher mathematics, to differentiation and integration to matrices and statistics to mechanical engineering to electronics to electrical engineering to even computer science concepts. Pretty much everything that falls under engineering. This was my greatest challenge. So, I started reviewing my engineering fundamentals and my GRE preparation helped me the verbal and quant section. I also took help from my fiancé, Gayathri, who is pursuing her Masters in Electronics engineering to review electronics and electrical engineering fundamentals :). So, I had taken lot of time to review engineering fundamentals.

Another challenging area for me was essays. There were 2 essays and this was a challenging part for me. Firstly because I was very new to this and then there were tons of consultants who supposedly offer services for reviewing and editing essays for top b-schools. Going through the testimonials of these essay editing admission consultants was quite intimating. The only investment I did was I bought MBA Admission for Smartiesby Linda Abraham. I think instructions in that are pretty clear and straightforward. I read that book a hundred times before I drafted my essays and kept fine-tuning it for a month. I showed it to my family and got their feedback. My father-in-law’s feedback proved to be highly useful and many changes were incorporated based on his suggestions. So, to review essays, one need not really take help of essay editing services. Family and friends could offer the best critique and sometimes bring in a fresh look that sometimes others easily miss out.

Accepted: Can you share some EMBA application tips with our readers? What are some tools or resources that you used to help guide you through the process?

Arun: 1. Self Introspection: Before choosing to do a MBA/EMBA program, a lot of introspection is to be done. There is a significant amount of cost and time involved in a MBA program. So, it’s worth to do introspection till we find clear answers. Just keep asking yourself if an MBA is something that you really want to do. Why MBA? Why not something else? Why now? What would happen if I didn’t do an MBA? This type of introspection and self-interrogation could lead to some clear answers.

2. B-School Selection Matrix: We all know that top b-schools follow a holistic approach in selecting candidates for their programs. Like, no admission decision is made solely on GPA or GMAT score or essays. Similarly, while choosing a program, as candidates, we need to have a holistic and a realistic approach, not just ranking of the b-school. Various factors to consider for a b-school before joining is whether it’s a one-year MBA or a two-year MBA, location (India or abroad), class size, class diversity, post MBA goals, “Program Fit”, cost of the program, return on investment. I had written a blog post titled “B-School Selection Matrix” in which I evaluate various b-schools of my choice and make a qualitative decision. It’s like, I design my own personalized b-school rankings.

3. Profile Building: The decision to pursue an MBA most likely shouldn’t be an overnight decision and it’s not possible to build an MBA profile overnight. I think profile building should be the first step in preparing your b-school application even ahead of taking the GMAT. You just need to get into the league of MBA applications, be aware of various schools, follow admission officers’ blogs and even applicant and student blogs, sign up for newsletters, etc. I had written a blog post titled “MBA profile Building” on this. Those who have weak communication can sign up for few courses to improve communication. Those having problems with GMAT should change their browser home page to www.gmatclub.com. Those who haven’t had a chance to display leadership skills at their workplace, may choose to organize a few events or show leadership skills in other events, like even sports. So, profile building is a long evolving process and one must start early and invest time on this.

When it comes to resources, I had purchasedMBA Admission for Smarties by Linda Abraham. This book is great. I had also purchased Beyond MBA Hype by Sameer Kamat. There are some great resources out there on the net. I religiously followed Accepted.com blogs and used to attend several webinars. So, following these blogs, network of current students, following the newsletters of your target schools, following admission officer’s blog – these are some priceless resources and one must make use of these as much as possible.

Accepted: Can you tell us about your blog? Who is your target audience? How have you benefited from the blogging experience?

Arun: The idea and thought that I must write a blog can be attributed to Accepted.com. I have seen several hundred applicant bloggers and student bloggers who have been sharing their experience. So, I decided to have my own blog.

I don’t have a target audience as such, but I write about GRE, higher education, MBA, MOOC, etc. So, if anyone is thinking about writing their own blog and needs some source of inspiration – they are my target audience!!

I have largely benefited from reading these blogs. Reading these blogs and the experiences have kept me going at difficult times and they serve as a source of motivation. Learning from others experience is one of the best learning ever. I follow a lot of applicant bloggers and benefit from their blog. So, this has been my biggest benefit from blogging.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages.

You can read more about Arun’s b-school journey by checking out his blog, Aroundynamics.  Thank you Arun for sharing your story with us!

Tags: EMBA, MBA Admissions, MBA applicant bloggers

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
MBAs Flood Tech Scene [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBAs Flood Tech Scene

Industries luring MBAs away from Wall Street include healthcare, retail, and energy and utilities.

Instead of flocking to Wall Street like business school graduates of the past, recent MBAs are taking jobs in the tech sector – at startups and e-commerce sites.

Even as traditionally high-profile and sought-after employers like JP Morgan Chase and Goldman Sachs recover from the recession, MBAs are still looking for work – and landing jobs – in the tech scene.

According to Doug Stayman, associate dean for MBA programs for the Cornell Johnson, there’s a “large need for MBAs who can understand business problems, consumer needs, internal business issues and technological solutions.” This is why Cornell will be launching Cornell Tech this May, a one-year program that focuses on our digital economy.

Those who aren’t using their marketing, data-mining, and digital-media skills to land jobs at top tech companies are using their skills to launch their own startups.

Other industries luring MBAs away from Wall Street include healthcare, retail, and energy and utilities.

(Source: Crain’s New York, “M.B.A.s flock to tech scene”)

Tags: MBA Admissions

Send PM
Do You Know the 7 Steps to a Successful MBA Application? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Do You Know the 7 Steps to a Successful MBA Application?
We’d like to remind you about tomorrow’s webinar, Get Accepted in 2015: 7 Steps to a Successful MBA Application, which will take place at 5 PM PT / 8 PM ET (that’s on Thursday the 27th). The webinar is a must for anyone planning on applying to b-school next year!

Applicants who get an early start on their applications can move through the application process more quickly, more efficiently, and with better results than their peers who fail to do pre-application preparation and leave their MBA applications to the last minute.

Reserve your spot for tomorrow’s webinar now!

See you on the 27th.

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar

Send PM
What Do B-School Alumni Think? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What Do B-School Alumni Think?

95% of alumni said they would recommend their MBA program. Not bad.

GMAC released its 2014 Alumni Perspectives Survey this week – below are the highlights from the report:

•  21,000 b-school alumni from the classes of 1959-2013 responded to the survey.

•  83% of alumni from the classes of 1959-2013 reported that their graduate management degrees played an essential role in finding a job.

•  91% of 2010-2013 alumni rated their management education value from good to outstanding when compared to the cost of the degree. This compares to 95% of graduates from the classes of 2000-2009, and to 98% of alumni from the 1950s-1990s.

•  95% of alumni said they would recommend their MBA program, another sign of very high satisfaction.

•  45% of self-employed alumni who graduated in 2010-2013 started their businesses at graduation. Before 1990, that number was at just 7%.

•  66% of 2010-2013 grads say that their management education was financial rewarding. In the 1990s, the percentage was at 84%, and prior to 1990, it was at 87%.

• 77% of alumni give financially to their alma mater.

•  83% of alumni reported that they are satisfied with their jobs.

•  20% of alumni work in finance and accounting and 20% in products and services.

See the 2014 Alumni Perspectives Survey for more details.

Take-aways from the 2014 GMAC Alumni Perspectives Survey.

•  The main conclusion to draw from this alumni survey, as with previous ones, is that alumni are overwhelmingly satisfied with their graduate education in business. Other graduate educational categories would love to be able to report the kinds of numbers that GMAC routinely presents.

In short, reports of the MBA’s demise are greatly exaggerated. (While the survey includes responses from non-MBA graduate management alumni, approximately 75% are from MBA alumni and more than half of the MBAs were enrolled in two-year, full-time MBA programs.)

•  Cloud hidden in all the glitter. GMAC attributes increased satisfaction with the degree and specifically with the value of graduate management education among more senior alumni to the passage of time. The more senior the grads, the happier they are that they invested in an MBA.

However there could be a much more concrete contributing factor: Perhaps those changing numbers over time are also due to the increased cost of the degree over the last thirty years. In other words, more recent alumni see a lower ROI and are consequently slightly less ecstatic simply because the cost has increased.

This development doesn’t mean that the degree lacks value for you applying now or in the next couple of years. It means you need to do your homework and look at expected return on your MBA investment, just as you would analyze expected return on any other investment.

If schools don’t get tuition under control and MBA salaries stay relatively flat, those satisfaction stats will decline over time.

•  MBAs are increasingly, although still in fairly small numbers, starting their own businesses upon graduation. In the past the overwhelming majority of MBAs worked as employees for at least three years before starting their ventures. However, since 2010, 45% of self-employed alumni started their own business immediately upon finishing their MBA.

•  “Soft skills” taught in business school are among the top five skills business school alumni use on the job regardless of the alum’s job function. Perhaps critics who say you can learn what business schools teach from books or by taking a few business functional courses are missing key benefits of the education.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsGMAC, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Linda Abraham on Overcoming Weaknesses [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Linda Abraham on Overcoming Weaknesses

So… your MBA applicant profile has a weakness. What now?

Listen to the full recording of the latest episode of Admissions Straight Talk for Linda Abraham’s time-tested advice on ameliorating weaknesses.

00:01:46 – The 4 pillars of a successful MBA application.

00:04:07 – What should I do if I’m not competitive at my top-choice schools?

00:06:15 – How to handle a low GMAT score.

00:07:40 – The sweet spot for work experience and what to do if you’ve got too little (or too much!).

00:10:40 – Demonstrating leadership if you are part of a flat organization.

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk in iTunes so you don’t miss a single episode! *Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Relevant Links:

•  Should You Retake the GMAT?

•  Overcoming Weaknesses in Your MBA Profile

•  MBA Admissions: Low GMAT or GPA

•  3 Steps for Handling a Low Undergraduate GPA

Related Shows:

•  Waitlisted! What Now?

•  MBA Admissions According to an Expert

•  How to Edit Your Application Essays

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, MBA Admissions, weakness

Send PM
Wharton JD/MBA Student Interview with Craig Carter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Wharton JD/MBA Student Interview with Craig Carter

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs (or in this case, a top JD/MBA program). And now for a follow up interview with Craig Carter, a second-year student at UPenn’s joint JD/MBA program. (We first met Craig last year – you can read our first interview with him here.)

Accepted: How’s your JD/MBA program going so far? Last we spoke, you had just completed your first year and had been involved only in the law school component of the program. How has your impression of the program changed now that you’ve had more exposure to Wharton?

Craig: The program is going great! Unfortunately, time is flying by too fast. In a couple months, my JD/MBA cohort will have completed the first two years.

My impression of the program has been enhanced through the Wharton experience. Business school and law school are two completely different environments and learning experiences. Business school is largely a team-based project oriented education. Whereas, law school is more individualized theoretical learning. The joint-program provides a complementary training that can only be appreciated after experiencing both schools.

Accepted: What was your favorite thing about Wharton? Least favorite?

Craig: My favorite thing is definitely the endless amount of opportunities to pursue – from clubs and conferences to the entrepreneurship center and leadership treks. There is definitely a place for each individual to develop and thrive in their chosen field or area of interest.

My least favorite thing is the size, which is a bit of a gift and a curse. There are about 850 people in each MBA class. The large size is my least favorite because it’s impossible for me to get to know each classmate as well as I would like. On the others hand, the size and scale creates more opportunities for networking, more diversity of experience in the classroom, and a broader alumni network to leverage.

Accepted: Are you feeling any sort of pull towards either law or business? Is there one field that’s drawing you in more than the other?

Craig: I am definitely feeling the pull toward business. The law is interesting, complex, and necessary; however, I will pursue a career in business. I entered the program intending to begin my career in business, but I have certainly gained a greater appreciation for the legal field after these first two years.

Accepted: Do you have an internship lined up yet for this year? If so, what is it and what role did Wharton play in helping you secure that position?

Craig: I will spend the summer in New York interning in J.P. Morgan’s M&A group. Wharton played a huge role facilitating the recruitment process. Between the career management office and the finance club, each student is completely prepared to secure an internship and succeed thereafter. Accepted: What is your favorite class so far? Craig: My favorite business school class was a dynamic marketing simulation. The course focused on issues such as the selection of which businesses and segments to compete in, how to allocate resources across businesses, segments, and elements of the marketing mix, as well as other significant strategic issues facing today’s managers in a dynamic competitive environment.

Accepted: With your dual curriculum, do you find you have time for extracurricular activities or for simply hanging out? Can you talk about how you manage the juggling act?

Craig: The dual curriculum does allow for extracurriculars and a lot of fun. However, it is quite a challenge to maintain a presence in both schools. On the social side, there is plenty of time to hang out with friends. At Wharton, people go out every night – who said Monday night can’t be just like Friday night? Law school is a little less aggressive about the party scene, but law students still know how to have some fun.

Accepted: Which clubs are you involved in on campus? How central to student life is club involvement?

Craig: I am involved in many clubs – affinity, professional, and athletic – at both schools. At Wharton, I am primarily involved with the Black MBA Association, the Finance Club, and Basketball Club. At the law school, I am in the Black Law Student Association, serve on the student government, and represent the student body on the faculty committee.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school or law school applications, please see our MBA Application Packages and Law School Admissions Services. For specific advice on how to create the best application for Wharton see:

• Wharton 2014 MBA Questions, Deadlines, Tips

• Wharton Executive MBA 2014 Essay Tips

• What’s Right with Wharton (and How to Get In), a free webinar

• CommonBond: How Two Wharton Grads Revolutionized Student Loans, a free webinar.

Thank you Craig for sharing your story with us!

Tags: Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, MBA Student Interviews, Wharton

Send PM
Show Me The Money [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Show Me The Money

I’ll give you a little advice…everything is negotiable.

On a day like today, I’m doing my happy dance.  My MBA clients have been contacting me with good news from the schools to which they applied.  Several of them have multiple offers with scholarships attached, which immediately present the question:  Can they negotiate their scholarship offers?

Since most of you have yet to take your MBA negotiations class, I’ll give you a little advice…everything is negotiable.  You have an offer of admission and unless you did something egregious that the schools discover in their background research, the school will not take that offer away from you.  In fact, the schools want you to come to their programs so much that they’ve offered you scholarships, tuition discounts, or graduate assistantships to entice you away from other schools.  You are in the power position, but you have limited time to act.

If you have multiple scholarship offers, you have even more power.  So play the schools off each other.  You will need to provide proof of funding and develop a clear statement of what it would take to have you deposit and attend that school.  If school A matches school B’s offer, go back to school B and ask for more.  Many schools have some wiggle room with scholarship offers.  And the worst-case scenario is that school A will say “no” to your request and then there is no harm and no foul.

Caution: While you may be in the power position, remain likeable, respectful and courteous. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by coming off as arrogant.  And if you have deposited at a school, you have diminished your position of power.

If you need additional consultation on this matter, we are available to help you construct the communication that in the words of one of my former clients made his “investment in Accepted.com a very positive ROI.”

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.

Tags: MBA Admissions, scholarship

Send PM
GRE vs GMAT [Infographic!] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: GRE vs GMAT [Infographic!]
Magoosh just released an excellent new GRE vs. GMAT Infographic that presents a side-by-side comparison of the GRE and the GMAT. Check it out, share it, and decide which test is right for your b-school applications!

Tags: GMAT, Grad School Admissions, GRE, Magoosh, MBA Admissions

Send PM
CommonBond Offers New Refinancing Program for Grads [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: CommonBond Offers New Refinancing Program for Grads
CommonBond just released its new Grad Refinance Loan™, available to law school, med school, engineering, and b-school graduates.

With the new refinancing program, borrowers will receive:

•  Low fixed rates for 10- and 15-year loans.

•  A single monthly bill after the consolidation of multiple loans.

•  Personalized service from the CommonBond team.

Do you want to learn more about CommonBond and how they can help you pay for grad school? Check out our recent podcast, CommonBond’s Story: A Revolution in Student Loans, in which Wharton grads and co-founders of this student loan financing startup share excellent advice on how you can finance your education.

Tags: Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

Send PM
9 Fun Facts about the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 9 Fun Facts about the GMAT

Happy 60th Birthday GMAC!

To celebrate GMAC’s 60th birthday, we’ve compiled the following fun GMAT facts from the GMAC site:

1. In 1953, nine b-schools met with ETS to create what would later become the GMAT. Those schools were Harvard, Rutgers, Columbia, Northwestern, Chicago, Seton Hall, Michigan, Washington University (St. Louis), and University of Pennsylvania.

2. Pre-1976 the GMAT was known as the Admission Test for Graduate Study in Business (ATGSB).

3. The question formats on the 1954 exam were Best Arguments, Quantitative Reading, Verbal Omnibus (Sentence Completion, analogies, Antonyms), and Quantitative Reasoning (Problem Solving, Data Interpretation). On today’s exam we have Integrated Reasoning, Verbal (Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Sentence Correction), and Quantitative (Problem Solving, Data Sufficiency). As you can see, Problem Solving is the only question format present on today’s exam that was also used on the original test.

4. In 1997 the GMAT exam became computerized.

5. The GMAT was the first standardized test to use palm vein readers – this analyzes specific hand vein patterns of users to ensure security and catch proxy test takers. This was introduced in 2008 and 2009.

6. The first five countries to offer the GMAT (which was then the ATGSB) were the U.S., Canada, England, France, and India.

7. The exam was offered in Hawaii five years before Hawaii became a state.

8. The GMAT is currently available in 113 countries – on every continent except Antarctica.

9. The Official Guide for GMAT Review was introduced in 1978. It’s now in its 13th edition.

Tags: GMAC, GMAT, MBA Admissions

Send PM
The HBS Round 3 Deadline is Coming Right Up! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The HBS Round 3 Deadline is Coming Right Up!
For all of you who are wondering if there is one last thing you can do to improve your Harvard Business School application before you hit submit, the answer is YES!

Take an hour and watch the recording of our popular webinar, The Accepted Guide to Getting into Harvard Business School

Learn the four key principles to gaining acceptance to HBS and make sure you’ve incorporated them in your application.

Good luck completing your application and let us know if you have any questions.

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions

Send PM
How to Find the Ideal Internship [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: How to Find the Ideal Internship
Guest post by Seven Ma, MBA Student at Duke Fuqua in its Health Sector Management Program.

Understand Your Goals

Most full time MBA students choose to do at least one internship during the summer between their 1st and 2nd years. It’s a great opportunity to apply what we’ve learned in class, rapidly build a professional network in the firm, experience what is going on in the industry, and may even lead to a full time offer. But how does one begin the searching process and find the ideal internship?

1) Talk to a lot of people

The first thing to do is to talk to people who either interned or worked for the firms or industries you’re targeting. It’s okay to not have a specific industry target, and that’s why this is a process that should begin as early as possible. I’d even argue that this should happen even before or during the MBA application process. It’s the easiest, and arguably the most efficient way, to learn about a future job role without actually taking the position. These are also called informational interviews, and offer fantastic insight on what it’s like to work in specific industries or functions.

Where does one start? An effective channel is with alumni. LinkedIn makes this very easy. Do an advanced search and put in some search criteria (company, geography, industry) and also input a school you went to. You’ll be able to create a spreadsheet fairly quickly.

2) Know what companies recruit MBAs for

Companies who recruit on campus at MBA programs are looking for specific roles to fill. It’s important to figure out what these roles are and think about which ones, if any, would be helpful for your future goals. This was something I did not do well initially. In retrospect, I should’ve explored marketing in pharma sooner.  When I started recruiting, I only knew that I wanted to work in pharma but did not know exactly which role would be the most interesting to me.

I should’ve taken time during the spring or summer before the MBA program to figure this out. That way, during on campus corporate presentations and networking events I can dig deeper in the firm’s culture and build more meaningful relationships with recruiters. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed in the first term of the MBA as classes and recruiting for the summer happen together. Having a targeted approach and head start in the process will be helpful.

3) Be open, and understand your goals

In the recruiting process, it’s important to think about the customer. In this case, it’s the hiring firm. An applicant has to clearly articulate how past experiences are relevant to a future position. To do this, the applicant must first understand what his or hers goals are in order to figure out the translatable skills and experiences.

One tip I have is to be as open as possible. This means to approach this process as a way to learn more about oneself. At Duke Fuqua, we had “Day in Consulting”, “Day in Finance”, and “Day in Marketing” for new first-year MBA students to do just that. However, it’s up to the student to take advantage of these opportunities through being introspective and inquisitive. This is again something that can happen before the MBA. There are plenty of volunteering opportunities in industry conferences, Meetups, and several ways to network with folks in your industries or functions of interest.

4) Keep talking to people

Because the first point is so important, I want to repeat it again here. There is no substitute to engaging in conversation with people. I found that this is a great way to test your assumptions and also learn unexpected things about a role or company. The recruiting process is ultimately about finding the right fit between a firm’s culture and the applicant. Talking to people in these firms is often the only way to know what it’s like on the inside, short of actually having worked there. On my blog, and enjoy reading them, but they are no substitute to talking to actual people.

Steven Ma is an MBA student at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business (’15). He has a background in the life sciences and is passionate about innovation in health care. The Duke MBA and its Health Sector Management Program has been a critical part in Steven’s transition into business and he enjoys sharing his experiences. Visit his blog, From Bench to Board.

Tags: career goals, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Is it Worth it to Get an MBA? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Is it Worth it to Get an MBA?

Does an MBA Pay?

Ah, an age old question. Let’s dive right in!

Forbes reports on a recent 2010 peer-reviewed study that was published in the Journal of Education for Business in which 550 MBA alumni were surveyed and survey data relating to pre-MBA pay, post-MBA starting salaries, and five years post-graduation salaries.

To make this research relevant to most prospective MBA students, this study is based on salary data from a high-quality business school that typically is ranked in the Forbes Top 50 but is not one of the most elite schools, such as Harvard or Stanford. For salary data on all of the Forbes Top 50 business schools, see the 2013 Forbes business school ranking.

Here are some highlights from the study:

• For full-time MBAs, post-MBA starting salaries increased by 50% compared to pre-MBA salaries. This is virtually unchanged from the 50-60% increase in 1994 and the 51% increase in 1997.

• The five-year post-MBA salary increase for full-time MBA grads was up 80% over the post-MBA starting salaries. Again, there was no significant change in this figure compared to previous years.

• For part-time MBAs, the post- over pre-MBA salary increase was 41%.

• The five-year salary increase for part-time MBAs was 56%.

• The report found little connection between the number of years of pre-MBA work experience and the five-year post-MBA salaries.

• For starting salaries, there was a $2,822 pay increase for each year of pre-MBA work experience – this isn’t very significant.

• Starting salaries were about $1,000 higher for finance majors than for marketing majors, but by the end of the five year post-MBA period, those salaries were identical.

• Women earned about 87% of what men earned for post-MBA starting pay. Five years later, they were earning 88% of what men were making. This is true across all disciplines other than finance and marketing. In finance, women earned about 90% of what men earned straight out of b-school, but five years later were earning only 70%. In marketing, both straight out of b-school and five years later, men and women were earning about the same amount.

• The report found no connection between an MBA’s GMAT score and his or her post-MBA salary.

• 94% of MBAs surveyed answered “yes” to the question: “If you had it to do over again, would you still go for an MBA degree?” In 1992, only 92% responded “yes” to that same question.

According to these numbers, there are substantial pay increases post-MBA, particularly five years later. (The Forbes article points to its2013 Forbes business school ranking for further confirmation, reporting that almost all of the Top 50 programs illustrate an investment payback period of less than five years.)

Tags: MBA Admissions

Send PM
GMAT, GRE, SAT, and All Things Test Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: GMAT, GRE, SAT, and All Things Test Prep

GMAT, GRE, SAT… If one of these tests graces your future, tune in to our interview with Bhavin Parikh, CEO and founder of Magoosh, the leading online test prep company.

Listen to the recording of our conversation with Bhavin for great test prep advice and the lowdown on Magoosh.

00:02:17 – The story behind Magoosh and a word about it’s future.

00:04:10 – Why Bhavin is on a “mission to change the way people learn.”

00:06:09 – More effective than traditional test-prep: How do you know?

00:07:44 – What makes Magoosh different.

00:11:39 – The risks of self-study (Magoosh is like a gym membership).

00:14:24 – Best GMAT (and GRE) prep tips.

00: 18:29 – The million dollar question: GMAT or GRE?

00:22:15 – SAT changes ahead.

00:25:43 – The Hansoo Lee Fellowship for Haas entrepreneurs.

00:27:58 – Bhavin’s stand on the debate about the value of the MBA to entrepreneurs.

00:30:18 – Last pieces of advice for applicants.

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk in iTunes so you don’t miss a single episode! *Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Relevant Links:

•  Magoosh

•  Should You Retake the GMAT?

•  How to Put Your Best Foot Forward on Test Day 

•  The Hansoo Lee Fellowship

•  7 Steps to a Successful MBA Application

Related Shows:

•  Interview with Chris Ryan of Manhattan GMAT

•  Linda Abraham on Overcoming Weaknesses

•  MBA Admissions According to an Expert

•  CommonBond’s Story: A Revolution in Student Loans

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Consulting, Admissions Straight Talk, College Admissions, GMAT, Grad School Admissions, GRE, Magoosh, MBA Admissions, SAT, UC Berkeley Haas

Send PM
Insights of a Tennis Player Turned Kellogg MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Insights of a Tennis Player Turned Kellogg MBA

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now…introducing Kate Ruckert, a first year student at Northwestern Kellogg.

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What was your most recent pre-MBA job?

Kate: I grew up in Vienna, Virginia, a suburb just outside of Washington DC. I received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Texas-Austin. I majored in Government and I minored in German. I had a great experience at Texas both in the classroom and on the tennis court. I had some outstanding professors, in particular one of whom is considered an expert on the American Presidency. After graduation, I played professional tennis, competing on the Women’s Tennis Association Tour (WTA Tour). After playing on the tour, I decided that I wanted to pursue other opportunities, prompting me to get my MBA.

Accepted: Why are you pursuing an MBA at this stage of your career? What do you plan on doing post-MBA?

Kate: In order to maximize my opportunity to succeed in “traditional” business, I needed to get an MBA. Building a stronger understanding of business concepts would provide me tremendous value long term. I came to Kellogg with the expectation that I would focus on a career in marketing, with a particular concentration in sports. However, I determined that my strengths were actually better suited for a career in finance. I have enjoyed learning about the market and gaining a deeper perspective for capital budgeting decisions that firms make. I am looking forward to my summer internship as an investment banking associate at Bank of America Merrill Lynch in New York. Long term, I hope to have a successful career in investment banking.

Accepted: Can you tell us more about your tennis experience? What’s it like to pursue an MBA and a live life in the business world alongside your involvement in the WTA?

Kate: Ever since I was young, I wanted to be a professional tennis player. To put so much into a dream and then actually see that dream become a reality was incredibly rewarding to me. I loved the competition, the training, the fitness and of course winning. I think tennis helped me to develop the skills that will serve me throughout my life. From tennis, I gained tenacity, developed a strong work ethic and an inner drive that has helped me flourish at Kellogg.

Accepted: How’s Kellogg going so far? What’s your favorite thing about the program? Least favorite?

Kate: I have loved my experience at Kellogg. I was excited and proud to have been accepted into the Kellogg program. The actual experience is even better than I expected. There are several things that distinguish Kellogg from other business schools, but the primary one is the people. Kellogg students are incredibly collaborative. They really want to help each other be successful. Kellogg students view each other as assets and they are truly interested in learning from one another. As a result my understanding both inside and outside of the classroom has increased tremendously. I came to Kellogg with no formal business training and I have developed a new lens in which to view the world. In addition, I would say one added benefit of pursuing finance at Kellogg is having the opportunity to work with some outstanding finance professors who are genuinely committed to students’ development.

My least favorite aspect of the program related to me and my lack of experience because in some classes they assume a certain level of expertise which I did not have and had to learn. Consequently, in the first quarter I spent a large amount of time learning the basic concepts and terminology and as a result, probably could not be as engaged as others. Now having spent the time to learn the terminology and the concepts, I have become a better participant in the learning experience.

Accepted: Can you recommend a nice coffee shop on or near campus, a good place to study or hang out with friends?

Kate: I actually find that most people tend to study at the Jake (Jacobs Center). I would also recommend studying at the Starbucks in downtown Evanston. It is one of the nicest Starbucks I have ever been to and it is usually fairly full of students busy studying. I would also suggest Pete’s Coffee and Tea for some studying.

In terms of hanging out, I think a lot of people enjoy going to BAT-17, it is a local restaurant/bar that has really great sandwiches and salads. In my second year, I hope to have a little more free time to explore Chicago.

Accepted: What are your top three tips for MBA applicants?

Kate:

1) Be yourself. I think that this is one of the most underappreciated areas for prospective students. Be genuine and don’t be afraid of enthusiasm. I think that admissions teams are looking for bright students who are passionate and the best way to convey that is to let your personality shine through.

2) Talk to students at each of the schools you are applying to. I contacted the Women’s Business Association at every school I applied to and spoke with a female student about her experience in the program. I find that students give the most honest practical advice to prospective students. They are a great resource in understanding the culture of the school and how you might fit into the environment.

3) Research the programs you are applying to and see how those programs fit into your future goals.

In closing, I would advise any applicant to realize the incredible opportunity the MBA program affords, opportunities that most people will never get to experience. While the admissions process is difficult, there will be a tremendous sense of appreciation and pride once you are enrolled in the program.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages. For specific advice on how to create the best application for Kellogg see:

•  Kellogg 2014 MBA Essay Questions & Tips

•  2013 Kellogg Executive MBA Admissions Tips

Thank you Kate for sharing your story with us!

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Student Interviews, Northwestern Kellogg

Send PM
Get a GRIP on Team Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Get a GRIP on Team Questions

Remember that a tight GRIP = a tight team

I took away a lot of wonderful concepts, frameworks and strategies from my MBA education that led to a successful admission career. In fact, one of the most powerful lessons I learned at Michigan (now Ross) was how to lead and work effectively on teams.

Professor Noel Tichy, one of the gurus of Organizational Behavior and Leadership offered us a simple acronym that has stuck with me to this day: GRIP.  His theory was as follows:  if everyone on the team works toward a common goal that each individual fully understands and to which he/she commits; and everyone on the team understands and has the skills to carry out his/her roles and responsibilities; and everyone on the team shares information in a way that is productive; and the team has agreed to a process by which they will accomplish the goal, then the team will be effective.  In fact, our teams would periodically do a GRIP check to make certain that our GOALS, ROLES, INFORMATION and PROCESS would align to keep the projects moving forward.  When a team has only one GRIP element out of place, the team will be dysfunctional.

I use this framework with my clients when they need to describe their own teams’ successes or failures.  It helps them pinpoint what really happened to the team and not point fingers at an individual that may not have carried or had the skills to carry his/her weight because the “R” was out of alignment.  It helps them understand that by not having a process “P” in place, misunderstandings may occur.  It helps them understand the importance of working towards a common goal.  And it helps them understand the importance of transparent and effective communication “I”.

So when you are asked about teamwork, remember that a tight GRIP = a tight team and I will remember to thank Dr. Tichy for his wisdom and insight and for telling me to get a GRIP on my team.  Thank you Dr. Tichy.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

GMAT Club Bot
Get a GRIP on Team Questions [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  122