Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [2]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
MBAs Across America: Entrepreneurs with a Heart [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBAs Across America: Entrepreneurs with a Heart

Casey Gerald

Michael Baker

Michael Baker and Casey Gerald, CEO & CFO of MBAs Across America are making the American dream come true in towns and cities across the country.

Listen to the full recording of our conversation to learn about MBAxAmerica’s past experiences, plans for the future, and what these two Harvard MBAs have to say about their time at HBS.

00:02:20 – What day one looked like for the MBAxAmerica team.

00:06:54 – Can Harvard educated MBAs relate to the challenges of a mom and pop shop?

00:11:01 – The proof of the pudding: How many entrepreneurs actually implemented the advice.

00:12:58 – Where is MBAxAmerica going next?

00:14:35 – The criterion for choosing MBAs and entrepreneurs for next year’s trip.

00:18:13 – Will MBAxAmerica expand beyond the MBA and the USA?

00:25:10 – The benefits on the MBAxAmerica internship for non-entrepreneurs.

00:27:20 – Mike and Casey’s biggest Aha moments of last year’s trip.

00:31:32 – Best Harvard Business School moments.

00:35:45 – Advice for next year’s HBS applicants.

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk in iTunes so you don’t miss a single episode! *Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Relevant Links:

MBAs Across America

The Secret to MBA Acceptance Webinar

“M.B.A. Students Hit the Road to Help Small-Business Owners”

MBAXAmerica Application For MBAs

MBAXAmerica Application For entrepreneurs

From Psychology to the Media Industry, Strat and Harvard B-School

Related Shows:

•  MBAs Across America: The Coolest HBS Internship (Last year’s interview)

•  5 Million to Share: The 43North Competition

•  Case Interview Secrets and More with Victor Cheng

•  Business, Law and Beyond: An Interview with John Engelman

•  Dr. Douglas Stayman Shares the Scoop on Cornell Tech NYC

•  CommonBond’s Story: A Revolution in Student Loans

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, podcast

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
IV with a UC Berkeley Haas Admitted Student and 2013 MBA Lau [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: IV with a UC Berkeley Haas Admitted Student and 2013 MBA Launcher
This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with MBA applicants, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at the MBA application process. And now…introducing Marisa who will be starting at UC Berkeley Haas in the fall.

Accepted: Let’s start with some basics: Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What is your favorite non-school book?

Marisa: I’m from Santa Barbara, CA, but went to college at Northwestern University, where I majored in Middle East History and International Relations.  My favorite non-school book is “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini — he’s such a powerful storyteller.

[b]Accepted: Congrats on your acceptance to Haas! How would you say that you’re a good fit with the program? [/b]

Marisa: Thank you!  I was really attracted to Haas’ four Defining Principles, but particularly “confidence without attitude.”  When I visited the school and spoke with both current and former students, I found this cultural attribute to be absolutely true — these people are rockstars, but they are humble about their accomplishments and eager to collaborate with others.  I think this phrase describes me pretty well.  I’m confident and ambitious but don’t like to be a jerk about it, and I certainly don’t believe that my success should come at the expense of someone else’s. Plus, I truly believe that humility is essential to good leadership, and I like how Haas emphasizes that as a key aspect of their culture

[b]Accepted: Which other b-schools had you considered? [/b]

Marisa: I applied to Stanford’s GSB in Round 1, and Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business in Round 2 (but withdrew my application after being accepted to Haas).  I also strongly considered Northwestern’s Kellogg SOM but ultimately decided I did not want to return to Evanston.  I don’t like to repeat experiences, even though I’m sure Kellogg itself would have differed from undergrad.  Also, it’s freezing.  But we’ll pretend that wasn’t a serious factor…

[b]Accepted: What are you most looking forward to in starting b-school in the fall? [/b]

Marisa: I’m most looking forward to meeting my classmates and hearing about their experiences and goals for the future.  I’m also looking forward to some of the experiential education opportunities at Haas, like the International Business Development course and Social Sector Solutions consultancy.  As a history major, I rarely had the opportunity to directly tie my classroom learning to practical applications, so I look forward to learning new material in class and then applying it on projects right away.

[b]Accepted: You have a really interesting work history — currently at Deloitte and previously at the FBI. First, can you tell us about what you did at the FBI (if you’re allowed…), and then, how did that lead you to Deloitte, and where do see yourself working post-MBA? [/b]

Marisa: My work history sounds more interesting than it is!  I was a strategic intelligence analyst in the FBI’s counterterrorism division, where I basically conducted research and wrote papers (sounds like a history major, right?).  The intelligence products I wrote, and briefings that I gave to decisionmakers, theoretically helped guide investigations of terrorist activity.  I did have some cool experiences (briefed the Director a couple times and traveled internationally to brief some partner agencies), but ultimately I found the pace a little slow and the bureaucracy more than a little maddening.  I was also far from the action on the ground, so I didn’t feel like I was able to have a true impact in my role.  Ultimately, it just wasn’t the right fit.

I saw consulting as an opportunity to help organizations like my previous employer address the issues that get in the way of executing their missions effectively. So last January I joined Deloitte as a consultant in their Federal Practice here in DC, where I have been working with IC clients on things like strategic planning and business process improvement. I have also been heavily involved with the Federal Women’s Initiative (WIN), founding and leading the WIN Gen Y team focused on engaging and empowering junior women professionals in the Federal Practice. Deloitte is a great company and I’ve learned a ton, but I feel ready to take the next step in my career with an MBA.  Post-Haas, I see myself working in international development consulting, helping organizations create positive social and economic impacts in emerging markets (specifically, in the Middle East).

[b]Accepted: Can you tell us about your experience as a 2013 MBA Launcher? And what about your experience with Forte? Are these programs that you’d recommend to other b-school applicants? [/b]

Marisa: I really enjoyed participating in the pilot Forte MBALaunch program.  For those who are unfamiliar, Forte Foundation established this program to help MBA-interested women navigate the application process, from identifying target schools to acing the GMAT to executing on essays and interviews.  In 2013, the program was launched in New York, DC, and Chicago and included an in-person kick-off event, monthly webinars, a personal advisor, placement in a peer group of other MBALaunch women, and attendance at a local Forte-sponsored MBA fair.

I found the monthly webinars, particularly the ones that forced me to really think about my “story” and how to present myself to the admissions committee, to be extremely helpful.  I don’t think I would have had quite the edge I needed without that guidance.  Plus, since the program started in January, it forced me to start thinking about the process very early, and then kept me on track for Round 1 submissions.

When I applied to the program, I was most excited about being paired with an advisor — a woman who had received her MBA and would help me through the application process.  However, I ended up finding the peer mentorship of my fellow MBALaunch women to be even more impactful.  My advisor provided some necessary tough love and advice — like insisting I consider retaking the GMAT when that was the last thing I wanted to do, which led me to improve my score by 30 points.  But my peer group provided me nearly constant support.  We shared resources, read each others’ essays, and advised one another when we ran into challenges.  In fact, even though the program has officially ended, we’re still getting together soon to help one of our members make her enrollment decision.

Overall, I had a really positive experience with MBALaunch and the awesome Forte women who run the program.  I hope to continue my involvement with Forte in the future.

[b]Accepted: As someone who applied successfully to b-school, you must have some good tips to share. Can you offer 2-3 tips for our readers?[/b]

Marisa: Every applicant is different, but I can offer some general tips that worked for me:

1. Get beyond the rankings lists.  Really think about what you want, and what characteristics are important to you — class size, location, specific focus areas or experiences, recruitment relationships, etc.  It’s not as obvious as you’d think, so talk to those people in your life who know you best and can help you figure out what aspects of a program to prioritize.  And keep an open mind — your dream school might just surprise you.

2. Talk to current students at the schools you’re considering before you start your applications, especially if you’re unable to visit campus before applying.  Not only will this help you get a feel for a school’s culture and determine whether it’s a good prospect for you, but it will also help you target your essays and guide your recommenders in a way that demonstrates your fit with the school.  Speaking of guiding your recommenders…

3. Have candid conversations with your recommenders about why you’re applying to MBA programs, why you’re a fit with the schools you’ve chosen, and what questions they need to address in your recommendations.  I put together packets of logistical and background information for my recommenders, including deadlines, instructions, the specific questions (if available), and context on what I was hoping to get out of an MBA at each school.  Some recommenders will want you to write your own recommendations — resist the urge, and push back!  You can offer to provide as much or as little support they need in terms of brainstorming content and keeping them on track with deadlines, but ultimately the best recommendations are genuine.  If someone doesn’t want to write your rec themselves, they’re probably not the best person for the job.

4. Visit campuses in the spring before you apply!  I totally didn’t do this and wished I had, because many schools don’t open for tours prior to the R1 deadlines.

5. Be sure to take breaks to be with friends and talk about something — anything! — besides b-school.  When you’re head-down in applications with deadlines approaching, it’s tempting to shut everyone and everything out.  The whole process can become an obsession very quickly, so this is way easier said than done, but totally worth keeping in mind.

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: Forte, MBA Admissions, MBA applicant bloggers, UC Berkeley Haas

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Which MBA Programs Should You Apply to Next Season? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Which MBA Programs Should You Apply to Next Season?

Set the course for an efficient, productive application process.

“Which MBA Programs Should You Apply to Next Season?” is excerpted from the Accepted.com special report, Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One.  To download the entire free special report, click here.

It’s late winter or early spring, already in the ebb of the current MBA admissions season. That means it’s the perfect time for people planning to apply next season to break out of hibernation and start tackling a part of the application process that is often shortchanged: school selection.  Doing this part right sets the course for an efficient, productive application process with greater likelihood of satisfying results.

In 15 years of MBA admissions consulting I have found that otherwise highly capable and focused people often basically wing it when it comes to creating their school list. “I’m just applying to all the top ten.” Top ten according to what source? “I realize now [after R2 deadlines have passed] I was overreaching. Are there any good schools I can still apply to?” Probably. “I’m applying to H/S/W, with Duke as my safety.” Duke as your safety?

By starting to develop your list of prospective schools now, you can avoid these and similar problems (yes, these responses are all problems – real ones I’ve heard, more than once).

By approaching school selection thoughtfully and systematically, you will save time, money, and effort in the long run (even if you expend more of all initially). You will conserve precious energy for the nitty-gritty work of the applications. You will be able to start planning school visits and recommendations, two things that often get tangled up when first addressed in the heat of the application season.

In this series I provide various tips and approaches to developing a solid list of schools. Each person’s needs are unique, and there is no one formula that works for everyone, so I will guide you in asking the right questions, answering (or finding answers to) those questions, and deciding accordingly.

This series will cover, among other topics:

•  assessing your profile

•  the role of rankings

•  how many schools you should apply to

• identifying and prioritizing your b-school needs and wants.

Ready? Here are a couple of things you can and should do right now to get started on the school selection process for next season:

•  Capture on paper or your preferred electronic medium those random thoughts that have been floating around in your head, for example, “top 10,” “friendly to older applicants,” “strong quant focus,” “need to be within an hour by plane from my ailing mother.”

•  Read blogs of MBA students not just at schools you’re already interested in but from a wider array of schools – both the substance and the tone of those blog posts will give you a subjective feel for different programs and your own responses to them.

•  If possible talk to MBA students and ask them about their school selection process; what went well and what proved difficult or problematic; ask what they would do differently.

•  Visit schools now! Visit schools you know you are interested in (you can always re-visit later), schools you might be interested in, and even schools on the margins. It’s the perfect time: schools are in session, you’re not pressed by the application process yet, and it’s close enough to application time for your insights from the visits to be relevant if you discuss them in essays. Take advantage of travel you may do for business or pleasure to schedule a visit, rather than trying to cram everything in the fall—when you’ll be even busier than usual with applications plus work. Moreover, visiting now gives you time to digest and reflect on your campus experiences.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.Best MBA Programs Series, MBA Admissions, special report

Send PM
Brave New Worlds [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Brave New Worlds

Helen Keller once wrote: “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” This is an apt quote for many undertakings, and is particularly appropriate for folks setting out to pursue an MBA and entire all the risk and uncertainly of the modern global market.

In hero myths the world over, the hero who wants to attain some lofty goal (the Holy Grail, marriage to a beautiful maiden, etc.) must enter a region of uncertainty and challenge. Often, there’s some preliminary challenging figure at the outset, the Guardian of the Threshold, such as the Tuskan Raiders for Luke Skywalker.

For all who aspire to an MBA, that initial challenge is the GMAT. Standardized tests are always challenging, and this one reflects the uncompromisingly high standards of the business world. Certainly it’s very important to be aware of all the resources available from GMAC, the folks who write the GMAT. While those resources are expensive, the questions therein are by far the best preparation for the GMAT. In fact, I would recommend learning and warming up with other materials, and saving those official questions for relatively late in your studies, so they are the last things you do in the weeks leading up to your GMAT.

It’s also important to get acquainted with the simple logistics of the GMAT. How long is the GMAT? Where does one take it? What ID does one need? etc. etc. It’s very important to get all these little details sorted out well ahead of time, so that on test day, you can remain in your “game head” and not have to sweat niggling details.

Beyond this, it will be important to identify the best MBA Admission resources. There are some fantastic resources available for free, but unfortunately, there are others that so aptly fit the sarcastic description, “Free, and worth every penny!” It’s very important to have some wise guidance when wading through all these potential study aids, particularly if it is all new to you.

All this new information and all these new demands may be intimidating, but remember: how a person responds when facing the unknown is a defining aspect of that person. If you are the kind of person that easily gets overwhelmed and freezes in the face of the unknown, it’s somewhat unclear how you plan to make effective decisions in the ever-evolving electronically driven business world. This is a world that demands resilience and a lion-hearted confidence, and there’s no better place to begin exhibiting those traits than in your preparation for the GMAT.

This post was written by Mike McGarry, resident GMAT expert at Magoosh, a leader in GMAT prep. For more advice on taking the GMAT, check out Magoosh’s GMAT blog.

Tags: GMAT, Magoosh, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Emlyon Launches New MSc in Luxury Management & Marketing [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Emlyon Launches New MSc in Luxury Management & Marketing
Emlyon Business School (formerly École de management de Lyon) just announced the launch of its new pre-experience Masters in Luxury Management and Marketing, a program designed to prepare students for an international management career in the luxury industry.

The 16-month program, which will be run in collaboration with the London College of Fashion, will offer maximum exposure to the world of luxury goods and manufacturing. Classes are held on three continents; students will participate in an internship anywhere in the world.

This looks like a great way to acquire marketable skills while having a blast in Lyon, London, and Shanghai! See more info here.

Tags: Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Tips for Applying to Part-time MBA Programs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Tips for Applying to Part-time MBA Programs

Attending grad school while working is grueling, period.

The extensive available advice about applying to MBA programs was largely created with applicants to full-time MBA programs in mind. If you are applying to part-time MBA programs, most of this advice will be pertinent for you as well. But there are some nuances to applying to part-time programs that warrant attention.

The fact of working while you are studying is one, and it affects the application. The nitty-gritty of your daily work is a resource you will bring directly to class discussions and group projects. You can share the reality of your work world in “real time” with your classmates.  The adcoms view this factor as a core benefit of part-time programs and integral to their unique learning process.  Hence, in your resume, essays, and the application form, put thought into how you present your current work scenario; look at it from the eyes of prospective classmates.

Moreover, since you are continuing to work, your goals won’t necessarily start at the magic moment you graduate. So, in a goals essay (depending on how the question is worded) discuss specific goals that you want to achieve in your current role, while you’re in the program – doing so allows you to further illuminate your work. Part-time MBA programs are usually not for career changers, at least in the short term, and they may not open recruiting to them. Review the program’s policies about recruiting for part-time students before you say that you’ll be using it for post-MBA employment.

Attending grad school while working is grueling, period. Hence, adcoms look for evidence that you are prepared for it.  The last thing they want is students dropping out. Sometimes an essay question directly addresses this issue.  If not, it can never hurt to briefly convey awareness of the challenge and mention plans for handling it.  If you’ve previously successfully studied while working full time, note that fact.

Finally, for the bulk of part-time programs that target local applicants, their applicant pool may contain high concentrations from strong local industries, such as pharma and finance in New York.  Consider and address this factor in differentiating yourself.

Good luck with your applications!

By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Tags: MBA Admissions, Part time MBA

Send PM
Learn the Secrets of MBA Application Success! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Learn the Secrets of MBA Application Success!
If you are applying to b-school and are seeking specific, detailed instructions to guide you to your b-school goal, then you won’t want to miss our upcoming FREE webinar, The Secret to MBA Acceptance, on Wednesday, April 30th at 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET.

Register now to learn the secrets that will help you position yourself so that you’re headed to acceptance!

Spaces are limited! Reserve your spot for The Secret to MBA Acceptance now!

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar

Send PM
4 New Ways to Display Teamwork in MBA Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 4 New Ways to Display Teamwork in MBA Essays

Teamwork, and its close cousin, leadership, are highly prized by graduate programs and universities. Haven’t worked in teams on any regular basis? Don’t worry! There are more ways than you may realize to prove your chops in this area. Consider the following 4 options:

1. No Man is an Island

Unless you’ve been living alone on an island for the last several years, you have undoubtedly participated in various groups. You may have been a member of a sports team or dance troupe, a member of a committee on either a volunteer or workplace basis, helped to organize an event, planned a triathlon, or been a tutor, Big Brother, or Big Sister. In each case, you were working with other people, even if it was only one other person, and had opportunities to display teamwork.

2. Put Your Listening Ears On

Teamwork and collaboration involve effective listening, so if you can discuss a time when you took the time to listen to others, patiently and skillfully, and how doing so eased tensions and increased collaboration, that will demonstrate your teamwork abilities.

3. Boosting Morale and Conflict Resolution

Talk about the steps you took to improve morale or motivate. If you helped to generate enthusiasm for a project when enthusiasm was flagging, or brainstormed an idea to strengthen a group or project, that’s also teamwork. If you were a member of a committee and figured out a way for two warring members of the committee to stop fighting and start working together, that would also constitute teamwork. Any time you took the initiative to get involved with other people (especially when they are difficult!) to find a better way to get things done, find a middle ground, brainstorm a new idea, it’s all teamwork.

4. Think Small

Effective teamwork can also be shown in very small groups. A client once wrote about her efforts to heal a serious rift in her family after her father passed away and siblings fought for control of the successful family business. An ugly succession fight was underway. The client’s ability to patiently coax cooperation in such an emotionally charged environment, including her “shuttle diplomacy” and active listening among family members, displayed skilled teamwork and leadership. Another client wrote about having organized a trip with a few friends, and how she dealt with a dispute between two of the participants whose bickering threatened to ruin the trip for everyone. Her effective listening, and creatively figuring out an activity that both of the “combatants” would not be able to resist, helped defuse the situation and save the trip from descending into a hellish situation for everyone. In both these situations, the “teams” were small but the stakes for those involved were high.

So do not feel stymied when asked for examples of how you have displayed teamwork – as you now see, you’ve been working in teams more often than you realize!

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, leadership, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

Send PM
4 New Ways to Display Teamwork in Application Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 4 New Ways to Display Teamwork in Application Essays

Teamwork, and its close cousin, leadership, are highly prized by graduate programs and universities. Haven’t worked in teams on any regular basis? Don’t worry! There are more ways than you may realize to prove your chops in this area. Consider the following 4 options:

1. No Man is an Island

Unless you’ve been living alone on an island for the last several years, you have undoubtedly participated in various groups. You may have been a member of a sports team or dance troupe, a member of a committee on either a volunteer or workplace basis, helped to organize an event, planned a triathlon, or been a tutor, Big Brother, or Big Sister. In each case, you were working with other people, even if it was only one other person, and had opportunities to display teamwork.

2. Put Your Listening Ears On

Teamwork and collaboration involve effective listening, so if you can discuss a time when you took the time to listen to others, patiently and skillfully, and how doing so eased tensions and increased collaboration, that will demonstrate your teamwork abilities.

3. Boosting Morale and Conflict Resolution

Talk about the steps you took to improve morale or motivate. If you helped to generate enthusiasm for a project when enthusiasm was flagging, or brainstormed an idea to strengthen a group or project, that’s also teamwork. If you were a member of a committee and figured out a way for two warring members of the committee to stop fighting and start working together, that would also constitute teamwork. Any time you took the initiative to get involved with other people (especially when they are difficult!) to find a better way to get things done, find a middle ground, brainstorm a new idea, it’s all teamwork.

4. Think Small

Effective teamwork can also be shown in very small groups. A client once wrote about her efforts to heal a serious rift in her family after her father passed away and siblings fought for control of the successful family business. An ugly succession fight was underway. The client’s ability to patiently coax cooperation in such an emotionally charged environment, including her “shuttle diplomacy” and active listening among family members, displayed skilled teamwork and leadership. Another client wrote about having organized a trip with a few friends, and how she dealt with a dispute between two of the participants whose bickering threatened to ruin the trip for everyone. Her effective listening, and creatively figuring out an activity that both of the “combatants” would not be able to resist, helped defuse the situation and save the trip from descending into a hellish situation for everyone. In both these situations, the “teams” were small but the stakes for those involved were high.

So do not feel stymied when asked for examples of how you have displayed teamwork – as you now see, you’ve been working in teams more often than you realize!

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, leadership, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

Send PM
Management Consulting at Top MBA Programs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Management Consulting at Top MBA Programs

Entrepreneurship is the sexy post-MBA job, but the reality is that less than 5% of grads from top MBA programs start a business at graduation. Per GMAC’s just released Prospective Students Survey Report, 34% of all graduate business students seek consulting positions after they earn their degree. My suspicion is that the figure is even higher among full-time MBA candidates. True, many will work as consultants for a few years, and then down the road start their own business.

If you are in that vast mass of MBA wannabes planning/hoping for a job in consulting immediately after you earn your degree, this ranking is for you! We’ve examined US News’ top MBA programs and the number of grads who have gone into consulting from each one. (The data here is from U.S. News.)

Ranked by Percentage of Grads Going into Consulting

School
Full-Time Graduates
# Reporting Consulting Jobs
% of Grads

Yale
30%

Kellogg
29%

Duke
29%

Michigan Ross
27%

MIT Sloan
27%

CMU Tepper
26%

Chicago Booth
25%

Emory
25%

Dartmouth
25%

Wharton
24%

UVA Darden
24%

Georgetown
22%

NYU Stern
22%

USC Marshall
21%

Texas McCombs
21%

Harvard
19%

Notre Dame Mendoza
17%

UNC Kenan-Flagler
17%

Cornell
17%

UC Berkeley Haas
17%

Indiana Kelley
16%

Columbia Business School
15%

Stanford
13%

UCLA Anderson
11%

-

Ranked by Number of Grads Going into Consulting

School
Full-Time Graduates
# Reporting Consulting Jobs
% of Grads

Wharton
24%

Kellogg
29%

Harvard
19%

Chicago Booth
25%

Michigan Ross
27%

Duke
29%

Columbia Business School
15%

MIT Sloan
27%

NYU Stern
22%

UVA Darden
24%

Yale
30%

Dartmouth
25%

Texas McCombs
21%

CMU Tepper
26%

Georgetown
22%

Stanford
13%

UNC Kenan-Flagler
17%

Cornell
17%

USC Marshall
21%

UCLA Anderson
11%

UC Berkeley Haas
17%

Indiana Kelley
16%

Emory
25%

Notre Dame Mendoza
17%

-

Certainly a high ranking in either of these lists indicates that the program has the recruiting ties, placement track record, and alumni network, as well as the curriculum, to support your consulting goals.  This solid indication implies these schools deserve further research about the appropriateness of a given school for you. However, it doesn’t tell the full picture. Dig into the schools’ class profile, placement stats, curriculum, extra-curricular activities and opportunities to determine which schools to apply to.

Ultimately you want to apply to programs that will take you where you want to go and that are likely to admit you.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsManagement Consulting, MBA Admissions, Rankings, US News

Send PM
UVA Darden Dean to Step Down and Return to Teaching [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: UVA Darden Dean to Step Down and Return to Teaching

Robert E. Bruner is stepping down as dean of UVA Darden at the conclusion of his second term in July 2015 to return to teaching and writing. Bruner has been on the Darden faculty since 1982 and dean for nearly a decade. He is currently the longest serving dean the school has had, and has won numerous teaching awards in his time.

“We’re on a mission at the Darden School,” says Bruner. “Each day, our global community pulls together to improve the world by developing responsible leaders and advancing knowledge. Leading this mission over the past nine years and in the year ahead has been, and is, a privilege. We have depth of leadership throughout Darden. And we have great momentum. I am proud of all that the extended community of the Darden School has – and will – achieve.”

Initiatives Bruner has led include the launch of two EMBA programs (the MBA for Executives and the Global MBA for Executives), the expansion of Darden’s online learning options, the creation of his Dean’s Blog, the collaborative project with Amazon to bring e-readers into the classroom, the delivery of MOOCs on Coursera, the establishment of new research centers (including the Institute for Business in Society and the Center for Asset Management), and much more.

Darden’s class of 2015 boasts record GPAs and GMAT scores.

See the Darden press release for more info.

For more info about UVA Darden, check out our UVA Darden B-School Zone.

Tags: MBA Admissions, UVA Darden

Send PM
Why You Don’t Need a Perfect GRE Score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Why You Don’t Need a Perfect GRE Score

Anyone up for a climb?

Few things have the cachet of a perfect GRE score. Climbing Mt. Everest, and a perfect GMAT score come to mind. All amazing feats, ones in which you may be tempted to rest on your laurels. Yet, that perfect GRE score won’t open the door to every graduate program. Conversely, a score in the 330+ range can only help to get you into a top program (there is no attendant shame in falling short of perfection, as when you turn around thirty feet short of Everest’s summit).

What are schools actually looking for

Schools want a well-rounded candidate, one who has a strong GPA, excellent letters of recommendation, relevant work in the field (published papers don’t hurt!) and of course a competitive GRE score. Spending an extra month of study just so you make sure you can nail a perfect 170 on both the GRE math and the GRE verbal section takes away time that you could be working on other elements of your transcript. Again, being well-rounded trumps getting a perfect GRE score.

Average scores per programs

It may surprise you to learn that the average GRE scores for Ivy League schools are not all in the stratosphere. For instance, the average GRE quant score for Harvard engineers is 159. That means there are some Harvard bound engineers who are scoring near 150. Meanwhile, there is some math whiz with a perfect 170 on the math section who is not going to Harvard.

Does the same apply for the GMAT

For many b-school bound students, there is a raging debate: GMAT vs. GRE. If you fall into this camp, I want to make sure not to mislead you. In other words, don’t think that a perfect GMAT score can do what a perfect GRE score can’t—get you into the school of your choice. As coveted as that GMAT 800 may be, it by no means guarantees a one-way ticket to Yale or Wharton. Indeed, each year Stanford apparently turns away candidates with perfect GMAT scores.

Now that you know you don’t have to aim for a perfect score, only a very good one, you can give yourself a little bit of wiggle room. Faced with a tough triple-blank Text Completion that you just can’t wrap your head around? Guess and move on. There won’t be too many of these, and you’ll be able to relax, knowing that you don’t have to achieve perfection—just get pretty close.

This post was written by Chris Lele, resident GRE expert at Magoosh, a leader in GRE prep. For help with GRE vocabulary, check out our free flashcards and Vocab Wednesday videos on the Magoosh GRE Blog.

Tags: GMAT, Grad School Admissions, GRE, Magoosh, MBA Admissions

Send PM
What are My Chances? Latina Software Developer Moving to Mar [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What are My Chances? Latina Software Developer Moving to Marketing
This blog post is one in a series of MBA applicant profile evaluations called “What are My Chances?” authored by Michelle Stockman. Michelle, who started consulting for Accepted in 2007 and worked previously in the Columbia Business School admissions office, will provide selected applicants with school recommendations as well as an evaluation of their qualifications.

If you would like Michelle to evaluate your profile at no charge and as part of this series, please provide the information requested at https://reports.accepted.com/what_are_my_chances.

Profile #6: “Camilla” [b]Latina software developer, plans a move to marketing[/b]

How have you inspired others to perform their best?

-Background & Work Experience: 29-year-old US citizen Latina with B.S. Comp. Sci. from a UC. Started out as developer at mid-tier financial software company, promoted to team lead of major account. Moved to startup that grew from 80 to 500 people and was acquired by giant e-retailer. Now working as a team lead in product management.

Well played. Looks like you’ve handled your cards well while riding the wave of growth in the tech industry. Right now you’re two of a kind. You’ve got hard skills as a developer, and it seems, you’ve got charisma. You not only kept your job in an acquisition, but you’ve been promoted several times. Not everyone is so lucky, or should I say, so savvy at securing a leg up when bought out, says the tech industry grapevine.

The adcom will want to know how you earned these promotions. In your resume and essays, really detail impact and leadership. Your resume bullet points should quantify what you accomplished on high profile projects. As you prep your essays, make a list of challenging projects and professional setbacks—especially dealing with dysfunctional teams. A huge part of marketing is managing creative personalities under huge amounts of pressure. How have you inspired others to perform their best?

-Short-term goal: Move outside product management into marketing.

As you’re switching functions, spend your essay real estate making the case for transition. Have you had any exposure to marketing through your experience in product management?  Let them know you’re not just jumping blind because you’re bored or dissatisfied. Have you participated in a marketing initiative at your company? What did you contribute, and what did you learn about marketing? What do you still need to learn?

-Long-term goal: Start tech marketing firm.

As stated above – you need to make the case for switching industries. Show you’ve done your homework by talking about conversations or research on the future of the industry.

-GMAT: 680

Not a good test taker? This is a little low. They could ding you on this if your GPA is also low. But on the upside, you are coming from an underrepresented minority. You also have a technical degree. Further, your work experience and promotions appear to speak for themselves.

-GPA: 3.62. 
First-generation college student. Supported self, and cared for ailing mother during college.

No problem with the GPA. This is really good, especially since you supported yourself and looked after your mother. It speaks to your time management and academic ability. Write about these mitigating factors in the optional essay if you had any semesters where you’re grades were a bit low.

-Extracurriculars:
 Due to family obligations, most of free time is spent with them. My brother was wounded in combat in Afghanistan, so as an extended family we are involved in the Wounded Warrior Project, supporting social events for veterans.

Don’t apologize! I would suggest writing about what you have done to help support your brother and other families through their recovery. Did you organize any activities, fundraising for families, or attend support groups? The details will show how this experience has shaped your outlook on service.

-Schools:

Stretch matches: Stanford, Kellogg, Wharton

On-par matches: Stern, Ross, UC Berkeley, UT McCombs, Duke, Darden

Safety matches: Purdue Krannert, Indiana Kelley

Final Note: As a woman, and a Latina – coming from an underrepresented minority in the hot tech industry – the adcom will be attracted to candidates who portray themselves not only as leaders, but also as pioneers.

Michelle Stockman is a professional journalist, former Columbia Business School admissions insider, and experienced MBA admissions consultant.

Tags: career changers, Marketing, MBA Admissions, What Are My Chances

Send PM
Catch Our MBA Webinar Tomorrow [Wed]! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Catch Our MBA Webinar Tomorrow [Wed]!
Tick tock, tick tock – that’s the sound we hear over at Accepted.com as we prep for our webinar, The Secret to MBA Acceptance, at 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET on Wed, April 29.

Don’t miss out – if you’re applying to b-school next year, then this webinar is a MUST!

Join us in just a few hours by reserving your spot here: The Secret to MBA Acceptance

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar

Send PM
Assessing Your MBA Admissions Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Assessing Your MBA Admissions Profile

Take a good look at your profile.

“Assessing Your MBA Admissions Profile” is excerpted from the Accepted.com special report, Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. To download the entire free special report, click here.

Thinking about what you want and need in an MBA program is the fun part. Before you do that, tackle the less fun part: assessing your profile. Knowing a program has everything you’ve ever dreamed of is nice, but if it does not welcome people like you, it’s just a fantasy, not something to expend effort and money applying to.  Conversely, learning that a seemingly so-so program would likely value your candidacy might prompt you to take a closer, and warmer, look.

Break down your assessment into several basic areas, as follows.

•  Work experience. There are many dimensions to this element: your industry and company, your role overall, how you compare to accomplished peers, how fast you’ve advanced and/or how impressive your impact has been, and your leadership (formal and/or informal). What are your strengths in this area, and what are the weaknesses or challenges? A challenge might be, for example, that you’ve increased responsibility significantly but because you work for a “flat” company you don’t have promotions. Another challenge: You work in the tech side,  so you have to illustrate your business knowledge and exposure. One more: You’re a successful consultant  or financial analyst,  but how do you differentiate yourself in this group? Strengths would be distinctive roles or industries, visibly rapid advancement, clear leadership.

•  Academics. This part includes your undergrad GPA and transcript, grad GPA and transcript (if any), and GMAT or GRE score(s). What are the strengths and weaknesses in each area, and how do they add up overall? For example, a weak undergrad GPA  and solid GMAT will not be great if the GPA trended down and the quant section of the GMAT was under 80%. However, if the GPA trended up and the GMAT quant was 90%, you’re in much better shape. A strong grad GPA won’t completely neutralize a low undergrad GPA but it can go a long way to doing so. (NOTE: If your GPA is low and you have time to take a class or two and earn A’s—I recommend doing this even if you have a high GMAT.)

•  Goals. What industry? What function? What specific position(s) are you considering immediately post-MBA? Is it a major career change? A slight career shift? What is the link between your current work and your goals? If it’s a career change,  how will you build your bridge between here and there?

•  Extracurriculars. At the least, extracurricular activities will round out your profile. At most, they will set you apart and give your application extra sparkle. They will be more important to some programs than to others. And the weight they have in any individual application will vary depending on the other factors, as adcoms review the applications holistically.

•  Other miscellaneous factors. Honor code infraction, DUI, DWI, academic probation—all clear negatives, but again, how negative truly will vary. Perhaps the worst is the honor code infraction. On the positive side: obstacles overcome, extraordinary level of achievement in almost any area, and military experience.

With a clear understanding of your profile and your competitiveness, you can determine which schools are likely safeties, on-pars, and reaches.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.

Tags: Best MBA Programs Series, MBA Admissions, special report

Send PM
Specialized Master’s Degrees in Business Gain Popularity [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Specialized Master’s Degrees in Business Gain Popularity

23% of applicants who are undecided about where to apply turn to admissions consultants to help them make that decision.

GMAC’s recent mba.com Prospective Students Survey reveals that even though MBA degrees still come in first as the most sought-after graduate business degree, close to half of prospective business graduate students are considering non-MBA business master’s programs, and one in five prospective students isn’t considering an MBA at all.

Here are some additional findings from the survey:

• Candidates focusing exclusively on specialized master’s degrees increased from 13% to 20%.
  • Candidates focusing exclusively on MBAs decreased from 55% to 53%.
  • Those interested in both non-MBA and MBA business degrees decreased from about 33% to about 25%.
  • 60% of men considered pursuing only MBA programs, while for women, that percentage was at 45%.
  • On the other hand, women were more likely than men to pursue specialized master’s in business programs – at 27% of women compared to 15% of men.
  • Younger candidates (aged 24 and younger) are more likely to consider both non-MBA and MBA business degrees than are older candidates.
My thoughts

On an egocentric note, I find the growing appeal of the specialized masters programs to be somewhat gratifying. Based on salary data in GMAC‘s 2012 Year-end Poll of Employers, I urged college grads then to consider specialized masters programs. (See “Grad Degrees that Lead to Jobs” for the details.) Now not all grads may have heard the word from me, but clearly the news that specialized masters’ grads have professional opportunity and jobs has contributed to increased applicant interest.

I took note of other data in the survey, specifically the fact that 23% of applicants who are undecided about where to apply turn to admissions consultants to help them make that decision. That’s still not in the top 10 of resources (family and friends are #1), but admissions consultants weren’t even mention in the 2011 Prospective Students Survey as sources of information. Clearly more and more applicants are turning to consultants.

The true value of this report is for schools much more than applicants. You know what you want, but the schools, and companies like Accepted, need to understand better what you value. So thanks for sharing your thoughts.

In a few weeks I’ll attend the annual AIGAC conference. A highlight of that event is the release of AIGAC’s applicant survey results. I look forward to hearing those results and sharing them with you then. Many of you participated in that survey too. Thank you!

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schoolscareer, GMAC, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Forte Helps Women in Business Thrive: Interview with Elissa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Forte Helps Women in Business Thrive: Interview with Elissa Sangster

Things have come full circle for Admissions Straight Talk. We couldn’t be more excited about our second interview with the very first guest to have appeared on our podcast: Elissa Sangster, Executive Director for the Forté Foundation.

Listen to the recording of our conversation to learn about the newest programs Forté is running to support women MBAs (past, present, and future).

00:03:32 – What’s new and exciting at Forté.

00:06:52 – Does going into business equal selling your soul?

00:12:51 – The very exciting MBALaunch program.

00:15:05 – Why Forté has reached out to 5,000 women in college.

00:20:20 – A word on the challenges facing women who want to go to b-school.

00:22:19 – Forté’s support for women post-MBA.

00:26:30 – What is the FortéFellows Program and how can someone get involved?

00:28:30 – The difference between the Forté Forum and other MBA fairs.

00:31:29 – Elissa’s take on the “Is an MBA worth it” debate.

00:36:47 – Advice for MBA applicants (very good advice, btw).

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Related Links:

• Forté Foundation

• MBA Launch

• Get Accepted in 2015: 7 Steps to a Successful MBA Application, a webinar

• The Secret to MBA Acceptance, a webinar

Related Shows:

• Interview with Forté’s Elissa Ellis Sangster

• From Luxury Marketing to Entrepreneurship: A Talk with Daria Burke

• CommonBond’s Story: A Revolution in Student Loans

• Interview with Anna Runyan of Classy Career Girl

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, College Admissions, Forte, MBA Admissions, podcast

GMAT Club Bot
Forte Helps Women in Business Thrive: Interview with Elissa [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  122