Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

accepting admisson to tier 2 school or reapply to tier 1

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
accepting admisson to tier 2 school or reapply to tier 1 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 22:36
Hello everyone,

Would appreciate your advice on this if possible.

I was accepted into a school ranked in the early 20s on Forbes for Fall 2012 and got rejected at harvard/yale/wharton.

Now what I'm confused as to is whether I should

a) ask for a deferral from the current school I've gotten into (anyways financial issues are a bit worrisome) and reapply to the above schools

or

b) go ahead and attend the current school for Fall 2012

My background:

Age - 24
Work ex - Worked at Teach For India
Founded and worked as the CEO of my own nonprofit organization in South Asia for 2 years
Worked as a movie screenwriter
GPA - 3.5 (Went to a top state public school and got a triple degree/ triple major)
GMAT - 710

* I think I'm leaning towards reapplying then its because of the brand names of those top schools. Don't know whether it would just make sense to go with the current school. Would appreciate your help on this a lot!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: accepting admisson to tier 2 school or reapply to tier 1 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 22:56
phdprospect wrote:
Hello everyone,

Would appreciate your advice on this if possible.

I was accepted into a school ranked in the early 20s on Forbes for Fall 2012 and got rejected at harvard/yale/wharton.

Now what I'm confused as to is whether I should

a) ask for a deferral from the current school I've gotten into (anyways financial issues are a bit worrisome) and reapply to the above schools

or

b) go ahead and attend the current school for Fall 2012

My background:

Age - 24
Work ex - Worked at Teach For India
Founded and worked as the CEO of my own nonprofit organization in South Asia for 2 years
Worked as a movie screenwriter
GPA - 3.5 (Went to a top state public school and got a triple degree/ triple major)
GMAT - 710

* I think I'm leaning towards reapplying then its because of the brand names of those top schools. Don't know whether it would just make sense to go with the current school. Would appreciate your help on this a lot!

Hello,

To be very honest, this choice is very personal. Still, I would submit a few points to help you take a decision

1) Did you seek feedback from these schools post rejection ? if yes, do you think that you can do something to improve on the areas of improvement suggested by them. did you get ding analysis done from someone ? do you think you submitted competitive application (especially essay, if you want help on this, you can send me your submitted essay and i might give you an insight)

2) were you interviewed at those schools ?

3) Do you think you are ready to give one more year and work on the areas of improvement, if yes, i think you should let the offer go, because this degree is gonna stick with you for the rest of your life. you are 24 and even if things do not work out in your way in the days to come, you will easily land up similar kind of school next year

4) If you think that your goals are in tandem with the schools (from where you have an admit) , then you may go ahead to attend the school. I am talking this point especially from the point of view of getting a job post MBA (assuming that you are an international applicant).

Hope this helps

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: accepting admisson to tier 2 school or reapply to tier 1 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 23:41
Thanks a lot.

I wasn't interviewed at any of these schools. Not an international applicant though. I'll mail you my essay as well. Thanks.
Re: accepting admisson to tier 2 school or reapply to tier 1   [#permalink] 30 May 2012, 23:41