Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Access to personal belongings during the breaks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 03:36
Hi
I need to know if test takers are allowed to access their personal belongings (e.g. bag) during the 10 minute breaks. Say, if someone needs to get some medicine or grab a quick snack :-) (4 hours can be a bit tough on stomach!)
Thanks
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 04:48
Yes, but there are limits.

Your mobile phone is off limits, or any other method of telecom.

You have full access to the restroom and your snacks.

Also, the break is 8 minutes, not 10.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USGBC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
No. Opening your bag is NOT allowed. It is your responsibility to keep the medicine or food items
outside your bag but inside the locker.When I gave the exam I was unaware of this rule and had
kept my snack inside the bag. During break I opened my bag, as soon as I took the snack the
proctor stopped me and told that she will have to contact GMAT officials to see if I can continue
the test. But I argued saying I was unaware of this rule and none of the proctors at the center mentioned
before. Finally she agreed. But yea, bottomline is do not touch your bag. You have to keep food outside your bag.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 17:37
River10 wrote:
No. Opening your bag is NOT allowed. It is your responsibility to keep the medicine or food items
outside your bag but inside the locker.When I gave the exam I was unaware of this rule and had
kept my snack inside the bag. During break I opened my bag, as soon as I took the snack the
proctor stopped me and told that she will have to contact GMAT officials to see if I can continue
the test. But I argued saying I was unaware of this rule and none of the proctors at the center mentioned
before. Finally she agreed. But yea, bottomline is do not touch your bag. You have to keep food outside your bag.

Hope this helps.

Ok. Can anyone please tell me where the lockers\restrooms are located on the test center? If, during the break, you go to the locker for a snack, would you have to go through the id-process (showing id and all the rest)? what about the rest rooms?

-----------------------
tusharvk

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 20:52
Yes. Anytime you come out of the testing room and go to the locker or restroom the
palm-vein process is repeated.

Check this: http://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/testday
You will not be permitted to leave the testing room without the test administrator’s permission.
You will be required to provide a digital fingerprint and/or palm vein pattern any time you leave or enter the testing room.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 09:35
River10 wrote:
Yes. Anytime you come out of the testing room and go to the locker or restroom the
palm-vein process is repeated.

Check this: http://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/testday
You will not be permitted to leave the testing room without the test administrator’s permission.
You will be required to provide a digital fingerprint and/or palm vein pattern any time you leave or enter the testing room.

Thank you.
So, if you have only 8 min break and sign-in and out proc will reduce that down to 5 min, is it a better strategy to sit near the computer and relax during the break? May be use the time in jotting down some math formulae and\or grid for the verbal section on the provided workbook? Is that allowed?
The link about the test day says that the testing must begin promptly after you sit at the workstation.

-----------------------
tusharvk

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 16:18
You can not sit near the computer and relax during the break. If you opt for a break
you have to go out of the testing room. You loose time if you are late to enter the room
and to top it if the incident which happened to me happens, then you loose more time.
I think by the time I went back to my work station, I had lost 2-3 mins of the Math session.
So I didn't take any break before verbal. I had 1 min before the verbal section began to read the
verbal section instructions and I jotted down the verbal grid during that time.
Re: Access to personal belongings during the breaks   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2009, 16:18