Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 07:21
egmat wrote:
Vinay911, not sure if you are still looking for a response on this question. But here it is anyway (I am royally late in responding to this one :( )
As many posters have commented, we have to establish the correct equation here. Simplistically here is the equation we are looking for:

Since your doubt pertains to choices D and E, I will only focus on those. The difference between these two choices is in terms of what is there in the blank below. Choice D has nothing in this blank and choice E has "those that". Now you may question that choice E actually states "those charging". Remember that "those charging" is equivalent of "those that charge".

For example : cow that grazes all day long = cow grazing all day long

Ok now lets look at both constructions in terms of the equation:

Per choice D - More than 3x as many colleges charge certain fees as ____ charge over $16000
Per choice E - More than 3x as many colleges charge certain fees as those that charge over $16000

Now what are the entities being compared - colleges that charge < $8000 & colleges that charge > 16000
Choice E clearly states that comparison.

Whereas if you look choice D, it is missing the "COLLEGE" part of the comparison. It only states the "charge" part.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

Regards,
Payal

According to the new GMATprep exams released a couple days ago, the correct answer is D.

I am so confused... Any ideas why is it correct??
Attachments

File comment: According to the new GMATprep exams released a couple days ago, the correct answer is D.

Captura de pantalla 2013-09-29 a la(s) 17.16.23.png
Captura de pantalla 2013-09-29 a la(s) 17.16.23.png [ 76.61 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 172

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 11:03
jacg20 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Vinay911, not sure if you are still looking for a response on this question. But here it is anyway (I am royally late in responding to this one :( )
As many posters have commented, we have to establish the correct equation here. Simplistically here is the equation we are looking for:

Since your doubt pertains to choices D and E, I will only focus on those. The difference between these two choices is in terms of what is there in the blank below. Choice D has nothing in this blank and choice E has "those that". Now you may question that choice E actually states "those charging". Remember that "those charging" is equivalent of "those that charge".

Per choice D - More than 3x as many colleges charge certain fees as ____ charge over $16000
Per choice E - More than 3x as many colleges charge certain fees as those that charge over $16000

Now what are the entities being compared - colleges that charge < $8000 & colleges that charge > 16000

Whereas if you look choice D, it is missing the "COLLEGE" part of the comparison. It only states the "charge" part.

Regards,
Payal

According to the new GMATprep exams released a couple days ago, the correct answer is D.

Same here! :-s any e-gmat experts who can help clarify?

-MBAJunkie

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 19:57
jacg20 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Regards,
Payal

I too had the same issue. Can anyone please explain?? :roll: :cry:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [1] , given: 185

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there!

Since this is a controversial question, our team is discussing it. We'll get back to you as soon as we can!

Regards,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 11-14-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 07:40
egmat wrote:
Hi there!

Since this is a controversial question, our team is discussing it. We'll get back to you as soon as we can!

Regards,
Meghna

Hi Experts,

Any updates on this? I too encountered this question in GMAT Prep Exam pack 1. The OA is given as D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 05:00
Hi all,

Either the OA here is wrong or the answer specified in GMAT Exam Pack 1 diagnostic is wrong. I got this question wrong in the diagnostic and so, I found this link. The correct answer actually is D and not E. I had given E as an answer and got it wrong. You may check this in the pdf file that I have attached.

What actually amazes me is that even the e-GMAT gurus are in the favour of the incorrect option E, despite of recurring doubts in the minds of students. Either they tailored the answer to get to the OA or GMAC made a mistake in the diagnostic test.

Please confirm what the correct answer actually is. D or E?

Best,
Keshav
Attachments

File comment: The square shows the correct answer which is D.
24-12-2013 18-15-49.pdf [22.26 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 05:24
I'm still a bit confused - in particular, why would we go with choice E over choice A?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 10:19
Than is used to compare two entities, whereas in the question we are told that "more than three times". In other words, we are comparing multiple entities meaning than is incorrect?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [1] , given: 210

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
D is the right answer.

Format of comparison changes with moving verb inside as many as or keeping it be before as many as.

For such question always look at the structure and make your own sentence in simple english.

E.g 3 times as many Americans were killed in Civil war as killed in Vietnam war. (my standard simple sentence)

bcz Americans were killed is inside as many .... as; we do not need repetition of Americans after as we just need a verb for a good construction of sentence.

Now look at this original question you will find D is technically perfect .

Another Eg:
E.g 3 times as many Americans were killed in Civil war as Indians were killed in battle of Panipath.
E.g 3 times as many Americans were killed in Civil war as Indians in battle of Panipath.

Now do'er of action are different, thus above comparison is valid.

Go to this link:
according-to-a-1996-survey-by-the-national-association-of-69882.html

HARD WIRE these simple examples in your brain as it save precious time while choosing technically right answer.
List down every possible way of comparison sentence structure and hard wire it in brain.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 07:49
Help!

Are we 100% sure that the correct answer is

E: "as those charging"?

I selected E while taking GMATPrep3 from Exam Pack 1, and my software is saying that I was incorrect. It says that the correct answer is D, "as charge." Is this a glitch???

EDIT: OA is in fact D. I found this link helpful:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to-a-1996-survey-by-the-national-association-of-69882.html
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 09:14
mickeyd wrote:
Help!

Are we 100% sure that the correct answer is

E: "as those charging"?

I selected E while taking GMATPrep3 from Exam Pack 1, and my software is saying that I was incorrect. It says that the correct answer is D, "as charge." Is this a glitch???

EDIT: OA is in fact D. I found this link helpful:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to-a-1996-survey-by-the-national-association-of-69882.html

OA is D.
E is incorrect. There is no scope for confusion.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 03:48
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
A) than those that charge
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging

this is wrong question. pls, look at gmatprep question "women over age of 30..."

According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more babies were born to women over the age of thirty //than// under it.

1. than
2. than born
3. than they were
4. than they had been
5. than had been born

the rule of ellipsis is simple.
- the cut off part must be present somewhere
- the remaining part must be parallel to a phrase so that the meaning is clear or the remaining part is not parallel with some thing but the meaning is already clear. in case, both choice is clear in meaning, the choice which is parallel to some phrase is prefered and chosen.

I find out above rule.
appy the above rule. both D and E is wrong. (see the above gmatprep question )

there is no "charge over" so we can not use "charge under" or "charging under". so the remaining part is not parallel with any phrase and the remaining part itself is not clear in meaning. wong.

I am a student just willing to beat gmat. I wish experts, member comment on my above idea so that we can master ellipsis. this point is tough and need carefull consideration. pls, speak up. a student like me never want to say a question is wrong.

am I correct?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 12:33
A tricky question, indeed.

Let's take a modified version of a famous Bruce Lee statement:
I fear the person who has practiced 5 kicks more than the person practicing 2 kicks.

Here, it is not clear whether the author fears the 5-kicker more than "he fears" the 2-kicker, or the author fears the person who has practiced (5 kicks more than the person practicing 2 kicks has practiced or fears). To disambiguate this sentence, the sentence must be changed to:
I fear the person who has practiced 5 kicks more than (I) fear (or "do") the person who has practiced 2 kicks.

Similarly, in Choice E in the given question, the absence of a second verb introduces ambiguity as to what entities are being compared.

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 07:14
egmat wrote:

Regards,
Payal

Attachments

File comment: The official answer is (D)
23.gif
23.gif [ 123.96 KiB | Viewed 495 times ]

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 16

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2014, 14:19
I just had this question in one of my GMAT Prep Exam Pack #1 test. It actually says that the correct answer is D. Not E.

Any new explanation on this?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 16:41
I ran into this problem in GMATPrep. Strangely the official answer is D. "as charge"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 15:13
I just ran into this problem in the official GMAT software (GMAT Prep), in two additional exam sets and the correct answer is D, not E as indicated in this topic.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 138

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 23:39
skg wrote:
. According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
A) than those that charge
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging

I am still confused b/w D and E. Why D "as charge" doesn't sound right to me?

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2014, 23:39