Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a better Business Bureau, if you fail to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
According to a better Business Bureau, if you fail to [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 21:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
According to a better Business Bureau, if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it violates the New york Consumer Protection Law.

A.if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it
B.if one fails to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest price, it
C.failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest
D.failure to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as the lowest
E.failure to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as that of the lowest
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 10:36
"D"...shudn't adverb stay close as close to the verb "advertise" as possible ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 11:49
I pick C.

but I have a question

C. failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest (did)

should there be a verb after "lowest"?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 19:55
DLMD wrote:
I pick C.

but I have a question

C. failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest (did)

should there be a verb after "lowest"?


In fact, it omits price.

highest price and lowest price are both the objectives of verb advertise.

But I need more convincing reasons to negate D.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 562
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Business Bureau [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 11:43
jpv wrote:
According to a better Business Bureau, if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it violates the New york Consumer Protection Law.

A.if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it
B.if one fails to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest price, it
C.failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest
D.failure to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as the lowest
E.failure to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as that of the lowest


Hmm, i take exception to (C) and others. I expect (C) to read thus:

...failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest price.

any more ideas???
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 728
Location: Milwaukee
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 12:38
C makes the most sense
parallel & no misplace modifiers

_________________

Praveen

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 184
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 19:05
guess it should be D

becuase only D follows the rule of
as X, as Y!

_________________

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 19:40
I also hesitated between C and D. Can anybody comment on why
"failure to advertise the highest price as prominently as the lowest"
is better than
"failure to advertise as prominently the highest price as the lowest"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2004
Posts: 274
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 06:26
C for me.

I think technically both C and D are correct. However, C sounds better to ear just because of the better placement of adverb.
This cannot be an ETS GMAT question.

He failed to walk in the park quietly.
He failed to walk quietly in the park.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 07:20
I am still confused on why it is not "D"....the adverb "prominently" shud stay close to the verb "advertise", only D has that. Can anyone enlighten me plz ? Thx
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 09:43
'D' is wrong because of its comparison 'as prominently the highest price... as the lowest' - compares the prominently highest price to the lowest.
Instead it should read as in 'E' 'as prominently the hightest price... as that of the lowest'.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 04:41
rthothad wrote:
'D' is wrong because of its comparison 'as prominently the highest price... as the lowest' - compares the prominently highest price to the lowest.
Instead it should read as in 'E' 'as prominently the hightest price... as that of the lowest'.


Cannot accept this.

In choice D, it omits price. So, it's right.

'price of the lowest' is awkward.

Please keep up more discussion.
  [#permalink] 31 Mar 2005, 04:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to YHP 6 14 Aug 2007, 21:07
2 According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to leeye84 15 22 Apr 2007, 12:58
According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to Puilunchristin 6 21 Jan 2006, 21:42
According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to SunShine 2 28 Dec 2005, 15:42
According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to ywilfred 3 06 Sep 2005, 06:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to a better Business Bureau, if you fail to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.