Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [78]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [21]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [14]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [3]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal of confusion in the medical profession about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to health.
(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition more related to appearance than to
(D) about obesity and if it is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition related to appearance more than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition related to appearance more than

is der any correct idiom pertaining to 'confusion'

I think C? Dont you have confusion "over" something? Like "i am confused over which car to buy"

I think you need to follow parallel with "to appearance" so answers B,E are no good since they dont have "to" at the end.D has the more after appearance and i think that is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:McCombs Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal [#permalink]
Kudos
A.

B) I don't like "being" in the sentence, also we need "to" at the end for parallelism between appearance and health.
C) Somewhere I read that "whether or not" should not be used
D) "if" should be "whether"
E) we need "to" at the end for parallelism between appearance and health.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal of confusion in the medical profession about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to health.
(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition more related to appearance than to
(D) about obesity and if it is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition related to appearance more than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition related to appearance more than

is der any correct idiom pertaining to 'confusion'

I think I'll go with (A). It is grammatically correct and parallel. Also, I'm not sure, but I think confusion ABOUT is an acceptable idiom.

(B) or if it is sounds wordy, the use of "whether" is a better choice.
(C) "whether or not" is unidiomatic, "whether" alone suffices, anything with the phrase "whether or not" should automatically be a wrong answer.
(D) this choice also uses "if it is".
(E) I think "or it is" is redundant. The most concise way to say something is "whether obesity is X or Y", NOT "whether obesity is X, or it is Y..." I'm not sure whether "confusion concerning" is unidiomatic or not, but the "or it is" alone should be enough to disqualify this answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: general
Schools:ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern
 Q50  V31 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Kudos
I somehow disagree with A being the correct answer.
In the construction, 'whether X or Y', X and Y should be parallel.
In A, 'obesity is a biological disorder'[sub+linking verb+compliment] is not parallel with 'a condition more related to'.
In E, the two fragments, 'Obesity is a biological disorder' and 'it is a condition' are parallel.
Hence, E is the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: general
Schools:ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern
 Q50  V31 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Kudos
sudeep wrote:
IMO A

(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to - parallel and concise
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than -awkward
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required) a condition more related to appearance than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required)a condition related to appearance more than

I don't understand why 'it is' is not required.
I chose E over A, only because of the 'it is' in it. The idiomatic 'expression is whether X or Y', where X and Y should be parallel. Just because someone colors two part of a sentence 'blue' does not mean that it is parallel and concise.
:)
Atleast, bigoyal's reasoning sounds plausible..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
naish wrote:
sudeep wrote:
IMO A

(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to - parallel and concise
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than -awkward
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required) a condition more related to appearance than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required)a condition related to appearance more than

I don't understand why 'it is' is not required.
I chose E over A, only because of the 'it is' in it. The idiomatic 'expression is whether X or Y', where X and Y should be parallel. Just because someone colors two part of a sentence 'blue' does not mean that it is parallel and concise.
:)
Atleast, bigoyal's reasoning sounds plausible..

Instantly, I was also with E as the than at the end sounds correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [4]
Send PM
Kudos