Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a panel of health officials, there has been a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

According to a panel of health officials, there has been a [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

59% (02:08) correct 41% (01:12) wrong based on 177 sessions
According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal of confusion in the medical profession about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to health.
(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition more related to appearance than to
(D) about obesity and if it is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition related to appearance more than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition related to appearance more than

is der any correct idiom pertaining to 'confusion'
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 208 [1] , given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
According to a panel of health officials, there has been a great deal of confusion in the medical profession about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to health.
(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition more related to appearance than to
(D) about obesity and if it is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition related to appearance more than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is a condition related to appearance more than

I think C? Dont you have confusion "over" something? Like "i am confused over which car to buy"

I think you need to follow parallel with "to appearance" so answers B,E are no good since they dont have "to" at the end.D has the more after appearance and i think that is wrong.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
A.

B) I don't like "being" in the sentence, also we need "to" at the end for parallelism between appearance and health.
C) Somewhere I read that "whether or not" should not be used
D) "if" should be "whether"
E) we need "to" at the end for parallelism between appearance and health.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:28
IMO "D".

every other option missfits. "C" was close but "whether or not" doesn't make sense!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

I think I'll go with (A). It is grammatically correct and parallel. Also, I'm not sure, but I think confusion ABOUT is an acceptable idiom.

(B) or if it is sounds wordy, the use of "whether" is a better choice.
(C) "whether or not" is unidiomatic, "whether" alone suffices, anything with the phrase "whether or not" should automatically be a wrong answer.
(D) this choice also uses "if it is".
(E) I think "or it is" is redundant. The most concise way to say something is "whether obesity is X or Y", NOT "whether obesity is X, or it is Y..." I'm not sure whether "confusion concerning" is unidiomatic or not, but the "or it is" alone should be enough to disqualify this answer.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 106

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A

(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to - parallel and concise
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than -awkward
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required) a condition more related to appearance than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required)a condition related to appearance more than

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 9

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 02:42
A.Sentence stands as it is.

"Always....Read between the lines"

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 441 [1] , given: 56

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A

-Correct
-breaking parallelism by using "being" in 1st half and "if it is" in 2nd part. Also use of "than" in the end is incorrect. Correct form should be "related to appearance than to health"
-"whether or not" sounds awkward and is not parallel to "or it is..". Also "whether" should be sufficient, "or not" is redundant
-changes meaning of the sentence. Sounds as if confusion is about obesity
-Use of "than" in the end is incorrect. Correct form should be "related to appearance than to health"

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 07:17
thnks al...OA is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 18:22
"dispute over...." confusion about....is correct

A stands.

E is awkward.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 18:58
I somehow disagree with A being the correct answer.
In the construction, 'whether X or Y', X and Y should be parallel.
In A, 'obesity is a biological disorder'[sub+linking verb+compliment] is not parallel with 'a condition more related to'.
In E, the two fragments, 'Obesity is a biological disorder' and 'it is a condition' are parallel.
Hence, E is the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 06:50
sudeep wrote:
IMO A

(A) about whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or a condition more related to appearance than to - parallel and concise
(B) with respect to obesity being a biological disorder posing serious health risks or if it is related more to appearance than -awkward
(C) over whether or not obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required) a condition more related to appearance than to
(E) concerning whether obesity is a biological disorder posing serious health risks or it is(not required)a condition related to appearance more than

I don't understand why 'it is' is not required.
I chose E over A, only because of the 'it is' in it. The idiomatic 'expression is whether X or Y', where X and Y should be parallel. Just because someone colors two part of a sentence 'blue' does not mean that it is parallel and concise.
:)
Atleast, bigoyal's reasoning sounds plausible..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
naish wrote:
sudeep wrote:
IMO A

I chose E over A, only because of the 'it is' in it. The idiomatic 'expression is whether X or Y', where X and Y should be parallel. Just because someone colors two part of a sentence 'blue' does not mean that it is parallel and concise.

Instantly, I was also with E as the than at the end sounds correct.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
WashingtonGMAT wrote:
naish wrote:
sudeep wrote:
IMO A

Interesting discussion. I agree that coloring alone does not make two parts parallel and concise but in this case, the reasoning is sound. '...whether obesity is a X (a noun) or a Y (noun again)...' is parallel construction.

As to why 'it is' is not required in the second part, compare the following sentences:

I don't know whether he is right or wrong.
I don't know whether he is right or he is wrong.

IMO, the first sentence is better.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 109

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 15:26
+1 A 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 23:30
A ... whether is used for uncertainty
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 04:34
Question was not underlined, anyway answer is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

Re: 35/1000 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 01:02
Werewolf wrote:

Interesting discussion. I agree that coloring alone does not make two parts parallel and concise but in this case, the reasoning is sound. '...whether obesity is a X (a noun) or a Y (noun again)...' is parallel construction.

As to why 'it is' is not required in the second part, compare the following sentences:

I don't know whether he is right or wrong.
I don't know whether he is right or he is wrong.

IMO, the first sentence is better.

You are correct.Both the sentences are perfectly fine. However in GMAT Land the second sentence is considered as Redundant. You dont have to repeat he is again. Remember 3 C's Correctness, Concision and Clarity.....Second one is not concise..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a panel of health officials, there has been a [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 07:58
Here in option e, 'related to appearance more than' is incorrect. 'more related to appearance than' is correct according to the given sentence. So, the stress changes and also the meaning changes. In other words 'more' should modify 'related'. But E is not doing so. Also, if you are left with A and other option at the end and you are not able to choose between the two, go for A blindly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 59

Re: According to a panel of health officials, there has been a [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 09:55
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

The meaning of the sentence is distorted in A with the use of "or" without pronoun "it". What it means here - obesity....health risks or a condition... -note this is ambiguous between health risks or condition. But what the sentence actually means is obesity is a disorder posing health risks or obesity is a condition more related to appearance.

B cannot be over ruled on purely usage of "being". Given other choices, I find B the best. there is confusion with "....more to appearance than (to) health" - I think we can omit additional "to" here. Apart from that B has no grammar error.
Correct me if I am wrong.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: According to a panel of health officials, there has been a   [#permalink] 01 May 2013, 09:55