Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent magazine article, of those office

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 15:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

91% (02:24) correct 8% (00:00) wrong based on 12 sessions
According to a recent magazine article, of those office employees who typically work 8 hours at the office each day but sometimes say that they will work at home on a particular day, 25 percent actually work less than one hour. At the same time, over 90 percent of those same office employees believe they are more productive working at home than working in their office.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions about the office employees discussed in the article?

a On average, the office employees working at home for a day work fewer hours than office employees working at the office.
b 10 percent of the office employees are less productive working from home than working in their office.
c At least 15 percent of the office employees do not define productivity exclusively in terms of the number of hours worked.
d At least 25 percent of the office employees can complete the same amount of work in one hour at home as in 8 hours at the office.
e Some of the office employees make statements regarding their productivity that are not in fact true.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 21:21
will go with B

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Manager
Manager

Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 21:30
my answer is wrong. its not B. have checked OA at some other forum.

so guys push yourself to think little harder

GS

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 23:51
I guess C

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 00:04
sudeep wrote:
I guess C

why do you think so!

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 23

Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
According to a recent magazine article, of those office employees who typically work 8 hours at the office each day but sometimes say that they will work at home on a particular day, 25 percent actually work less than one hour. At the same time, over 90 percent of those same office employees believe they are more productive working at home than working in their office.

IMO C

let set A be the set of people who feel they are more productive at home
let set B be the set of people who work less than 1 hour at home

P(A) = 90%
P(B) = 25%
let P(A union B) = 100%

So.. P(A union B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A intersect B)
So.. P(A intersect B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A union B)

So P(A intersect B) >= 90 + 25 - 100 = 15

P(A intersect B) is nothing but 15 percent of the office employees who do not define productivity exclusively in terms of the number of hours worked....It defines productivity both in terms of number of hours worked from home and in terms of number of hours worked less than 1 hour at home.

HTH
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 03:39
c its the only choice whichv cannot reject ...... other talk about productivity n all
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 10:14
E for easy...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 11:08
IMO D..what is the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: magazine article [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 16:25
i thought B would be right but got it wrong. "over 90% ...." so less than 10% is less productive...

good Q.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 08:15
C. 90 percent of the office employees believe that they are more productive at home than at work. At the same time, 25 percent of the office employees actually work fewer hours when they work at home than when they work at the office. The overlap between these two groups is at least 15 percent of all of the office employees. This group of employees believes that they are more productive at home than at work and yet this group actually works fewer hours at home than at work. Thus, these employees must not define productivity exclusively in terms of the number of hours worked.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 09:45
Can somebody tell /guess the difficulty level of this question, I think this would be one of the toughest that I have seen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 276

Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:26
IMO it is C guys. This is more of a mathematical problem.

Eliminate A and E as it is somewhat Out of scope. Now the battle is between B,C and D.

B- makes a brave statement about productivity that is not mentioned or can be inferred.
D-At least 25% can complete the same amount of work in 1hr?? where did they deduce this :shock: from
So the left out choice is C
The OA is C as well.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 489 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Pure Mathematics.
I have posted a picture too so that conclusion can be drawn easily.
As you can see that R1C1-> atleast 15% feel productive at home, a fact that these people do not define productivity in terms of number of hours worked.
Nice question though MGMAT.
Attachments

Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif [ 7.03 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]

Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif [ 7.03 KiB | Viewed 1547 times ]

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 229

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 20:24
Hi marcab,

You have applied Overlapping sets to this problem , I must say you will apply management techniques with 100% perfection to real time industrial issues.
Great going.

Rgds,
Saurabh

GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 75

Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 01:59

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions about the office employees discussed in the article?

a On average, the office employees working at home for a day work fewer hours than office employees working at the office. Generic statement. Passage Scope: those office employees who typically work 8 hours.
b 10 percent of the office employees are less productive working from home than working in their office. Generic statement. Passage Scope: those office employees who typically work 8 hours.
c At least 15 percent of the office employees do not define productivity exclusively in terms of the number of hours worked.
d At least 25 percent of the office employees can complete the same amount of work in one hour at home as in 8 hours at the office. OFS. Passage do not mention about the amount of work
e Some of the office employees make statements regarding their productivity that are not in fact true. We can not question the premise

Therefore, IMO C

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Re: According to a recent magazine article, of those office   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 01:59