Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.75
WE: Corporate Finance (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 09:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:38) correct 35% (00:45) wrong based on 68 sessions
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.
(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations

Shraddha,

I have seen the correct answer of this question so many times but I still end up choosing the wrong answer.

See my analysis specifically between choice A and E
Meaning
Owning a house is a goal for majority of adults
Earlier generations had the same goal too.

Per my understanding the goal is compared.
POE
Choice A - Like is followed by that, which is a noun and stands for dream. Hence correct. No error
Choice E - As is followed by clause, goal is compared to clause not correct.

Please help.

Thanks,
Sugandha

Edit: by carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 118 [4] , given: 12

Re: OG13 Q#85 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

Let's see if we can break this one down. This is a comparison so both sides of the comparison need to be parallel in structure. The first half of the comparison has the structure doing X is still a goal of Y so the second half needs to have that same structure such as: as doing X was a goal of group Y in the past.

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.
This translates to: Doing X is still a goal of group Y, like that of group Y in the past. This is missing the verb in the second of half. Owning and living in a freestanding house is incorrectly replaced by THAT instead of IT.

Let's pretend that we could use THAT the sentence would read: Owning and living in a freestanding house is still a goal of of a majority of young adults like owning and living in a freestanding house a goal of earlier generations. The verb is missing from the second half.

This translates to: Doing X is still a goal of group Y, as doing X was a goal of group Y in the past or Owning and living in a freestanding house is still a goal of of a majority of young adults as owning and living in a freestanding house was a goal of earlier generations. This is parallel throughout.

It often helps to replace the pronouns with the nouns that they are replacing so that you get a more complete idea of how the sentence should be structured.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you need more advice on this question.

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: OG13 Q#85 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 17:39
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: OG13 Q#85 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 05:34
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

Let's see if we can break this one down. This is a comparison so both sides of the comparison need to be parallel in structure. The first half of the comparison has the structure doing X is still a goal of Y so the second half needs to have that same structure such as: as doing X was a goal of group Y in the past.

This translates to: Doing X is still a goal of group Y, like that of group Y in the past. This is missing the verb in the second of half. Owning and living in a freestanding house is incorrectly replaced by THAT instead of IT.

Let's pretend that we could use THAT the sentence would read: Owning and living in a freestanding house is still a goal of of a majority of young adults like owning and living in a freestanding house a goal of earlier generations. The verb is missing from the second half.

This translates to: Doing X is still a goal of group Y, as doing X was a goal of group Y in the past or Owning and living in a freestanding house is still a goal of of a majority of young adults as owning and living in a freestanding house was a goal of earlier generations. This is parallel throughout.

It often helps to replace the pronouns with the nouns that they are replacing so that you get a more complete idea of how the sentence should be structured.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you need more advice on this question.

HG.

do you mean that in the structure:

main clause + comma+like

"like" refers to the subject of the main clause. for example

I speake English, like you

in this sentence "Like you" modifies " I" . is that correct?

and so , in A we have

"like that of earlier generations" refer to " owning and living"

and we have

"like the goal of earlier generation" refers to "owning and living". this is absurd.

is my thinking correct?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 12

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestand [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

OK, let 's take a deeper look here:

You have two ideas in this sentence.

1. Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults.

2. Living in a freestanding house on its own land was a goal of earlier generations.

In order to create a comparison we have to maintain all of the elements in both ideas. So we end up with this:

Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults as living in a freestanding house on its own land was a goal of earlier generations.

Repeat nouns can be replaced by it/that. In general IT can replace an entire phrase while THAT replaces only a piece. In the example above THAT could replace A GOAL but cannot replace LIVING IN A FREESTANDING HOUSE ON ITS OWN LAND.

An example of correct usage of THAT: The goal of the Giants is the same as THAT of the Jets: to win the Superbowl (That replaces the goal)

An example of correct usage of IT: Winning the super bowl is the goal of the Giants as IT is of the Jets. (IT replaces winning the superbowl)

The second example is very similar to the GMAT question.

So let's replace our noun phrase LIVING IN A FREESTANDING HOUSE ON ITS OWN LAND with IT.

Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults as it was a goal of earlier generations.

Last but not least "a goal" is implied so we can omit it.

Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults as it was of earlier generations.

I hope that this resolves our concerns.

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 12

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestand [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 12:44
Expert's post
And a quick: Yes your thinking is correct!

HG.

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestand   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2013, 12:44