Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 08:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 01:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:13) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations

This is from OG. We discussed before, but I need to clarify some doubt.
I think you will consider A and E.
Could you tell me why not A? in choice A, 'that' in place of 'goal', it compares two generations' goal. I didn't see any error.

Thanks :-D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 73
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 04:51
explanation in OG:

The intended comparison should be completed by a clause beginning with as and containing a subject and verb that
correspond to the subject and verb of the main clause. In E, the best choice, it refers unambiguously to the phrasal
subject owning ... land, the verb was corresponds to is, and today's young adults are appropriately compared to
earlier generations. Choices A and B lack a verb corresponding to is and a clear referent for that. Choices C and D
are confusing and illogical because their verbs, did and have, cannot substitute for is in the main clause.

But IMHO:
also you could find the parallel structure

a goal of a majority of young adults
as it was of earlier generations
_________________

===========================
Let us make hay while the sun shines.
Don Quixote. Part i. Book. iii. Chap. xi.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 65
Location: Milton Keynes UK
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 07:14
I would go for E.

Parallel structure:

a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

goal <--> it
young adults <--> earlier generations
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 07:19
E)

A) should be out because parallelism is tested "...is still a goal..." and "...was of..." is parallel. "that" is not parallel to "is"
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:41
paddy wrote:
I would go for E.

Parallel structure:

a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

goal <--> it
young adults <--> earlier generations


Hi, in choice E.
'it' is in place of 'owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land' rather than 'goal'

But I think choice A is also right, if we see as the following

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal, like that of earlier generations, of a majority of young adults.

'that' is in place of 'goal'. I think this comparison is OK? why wrong?

Please give me more explanation.
ThX
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 01:04
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
- 'that' has no clear referent

(E) as it was of earlier generations
- clearly tells us the goal of young adults are similar to those of previous generations

E it is.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 04:54
ywilfred wrote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
- 'that' has no clear referent


Hi, I supposed 'that' refer to 'goal'.
Could you answer my above-mentioned question?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 28
Location: SE Michigan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 10:26
I think it's also about Like vs. As

Like - used to compare nouns
As - used to compare actions, so what follows as is typically a clause

(from Kaplan verbal book)

so "as" fits better.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 13:00
like is to compare nouns/pronouns while as it to compare clause. in this case, it is comparing clauses.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC60--OG [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 16:03
chunjuwu wrote:
(E) as it was of earlier generations


can "it" refer to a whole phrase "owning.... land"? I thought "it" can only refer to Noun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 17:56
chunjuwu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
- 'that' has no clear referent


Hi, I supposed 'that' refer to 'goal'.
Could you answer my above-mentioned question?

Thanks.


Chunjuwu,

'like that' of earlier generatiosn is awkward. Like in the fist place is used to describe similarities. By saying 'like that', it means that owning and living in a freestanding house is similar to a goal of previous generation. This clearly is wrong. We want to say they share the same goal, not two goals that have some distincit similarities.

'as it was' in (E) clearly refers to the goals. Owning and living in a freestanding house was a goal of previous generations. That same goal is still the case for young adults today.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 18:11
ywilfred wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
- 'that' has no clear referent


Hi, I supposed 'that' refer to 'goal'.
Could you answer my above-mentioned question?

Thanks.


Chunjuwu,

'like that' of earlier generatiosn is awkward. Like in the fist place is used to describe similarities. By saying 'like that', it means that owning and living in a freestanding house is similar to a goal of previous generation. This clearly is wrong. We want to say they share the same goal, not two goals that have some distincit similarities.

'as it was' in (E) clearly refers to the goals. Owning and living in a freestanding house was a goal of previous generations. That same goal is still the case for young adults today.


it means that owning and living in a freestanding house is similar to a goal of previous generation.

This really helps.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: I know my GPA is brilliant.
Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 36
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: SC60--OG [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 07:43
DLMD wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
(E) as it was of earlier generations


can "it" refer to a whole phrase "owning.... land"? I thought "it" can only refer to Noun


sometimes I feel answer of such SC questions entirely depends on what the preparer of the question wants to test. Accordingly, preparer wants to test "like vs as" in this question so the answer is E. If it were a question testing pronouns, E would never be the answer since "it" in option "E" is clearly ambigious.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1369 [0], given: 245

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 09:10
Expert's post
The OG’s explanation is indeed weird. To say that the two-letter word – it - refers to a phrasal subject- Owning and living in a freestanding house- is perplexing What is more amazing is that- it - is singular while the phrasal subject is indeed plural involving two distinct phenomena, such as owning and living
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: I know my GPA is brilliant.
Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 36
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 22:05
daagh wrote:
The OG’s explanation is indeed weird. To say that the two-letter word – it - refers to a phrasal subject- Owning and living in a freestanding house- is perplexing What is more amazing is that- it - is singular while the phrasal subject is indeed plural involving two distinct phenomena, such as owning and living


you are exactly right on this. at least they should have put "they were" in place of "it was" :-D
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2012, 22:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a salr15 7 06 Jan 2009, 12:50
1 According to a recent poll, owning and living in a ssandeepan 8 30 Jul 2008, 19:01
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a maratikus 5 24 Jun 2008, 17:50
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a adub35 8 27 Feb 2007, 03:58
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a HongHu 10 09 Feb 2005, 10:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.