Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 0

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 01:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

92% (01:31) correct 8% (00:26) wrong based on 12 sessions
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations

This is from OG. We discussed before, but I need to clarify some doubt.
I think you will consider A and E.
Could you tell me why not A? in choice A, 'that' in place of 'goal', it compares two generations' goal. I didn't see any error.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 04:51
explanation in OG:

The intended comparison should be completed by a clause beginning with as and containing a subject and verb that
correspond to the subject and verb of the main clause. In E, the best choice, it refers unambiguously to the phrasal
subject owning ... land, the verb was corresponds to is, and today's young adults are appropriately compared to
earlier generations. Choices A and B lack a verb corresponding to is and a clear referent for that. Choices C and D
are confusing and illogical because their verbs, did and have, cannot substitute for is in the main clause.

But IMHO:
also you could find the parallel structure

a goal of a majority of young adults
as it was of earlier generations

===========================
Let us make hay while the sun shines.
Don Quixote. Part i. Book. iii. Chap. xi.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 07:14
I would go for E.

Parallel structure:

a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

goal <--> it
young adults <--> earlier generations
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 07:19
E)

A) should be out because parallelism is tested "...is still a goal..." and "...was of..." is parallel. "that" is not parallel to "is"
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:41
paddy wrote:
I would go for E.

Parallel structure:

a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

goal <--> it
young adults <--> earlier generations

Hi, in choice E.
'it' is in place of 'owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land' rather than 'goal'

But I think choice A is also right, if we see as the following

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal, like that of earlier generations, of a majority of young adults.

'that' is in place of 'goal'. I think this comparison is OK? why wrong?

Please give me more explanation.
ThX
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 01:04
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

- 'that' has no clear referent

- clearly tells us the goal of young adults are similar to those of previous generations

E it is.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 04:54
ywilfred wrote:

Hi, I supposed 'that' refer to 'goal'.
Could you answer my above-mentioned question?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 10:26
I think it's also about Like vs. As

Like - used to compare nouns
As - used to compare actions, so what follows as is typically a clause

(from Kaplan verbal book)

so "as" fits better.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 13:00
like is to compare nouns/pronouns while as it to compare clause. in this case, it is comparing clauses.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC60--OG [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 16:03
chunjuwu wrote:

can "it" refer to a whole phrase "owning.... land"? I thought "it" can only refer to Noun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 17:56
chunjuwu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

Thanks.

Chunjuwu,

'like that' of earlier generatiosn is awkward. Like in the fist place is used to describe similarities. By saying 'like that', it means that owning and living in a freestanding house is similar to a goal of previous generation. This clearly is wrong. We want to say they share the same goal, not two goals that have some distincit similarities.

'as it was' in (E) clearly refers to the goals. Owning and living in a freestanding house was a goal of previous generations. That same goal is still the case for young adults today.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 18:11
ywilfred wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

Thanks.

Chunjuwu,

'like that' of earlier generatiosn is awkward. Like in the fist place is used to describe similarities. By saying 'like that', it means that owning and living in a freestanding house is similar to a goal of previous generation. This clearly is wrong. We want to say they share the same goal, not two goals that have some distincit similarities.

'as it was' in (E) clearly refers to the goals. Owning and living in a freestanding house was a goal of previous generations. That same goal is still the case for young adults today.

it means that owning and living in a freestanding house is similar to a goal of previous generation.

This really helps.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: SC60--OG [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 07:43
DLMD wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:

can "it" refer to a whole phrase "owning.... land"? I thought "it" can only refer to Noun

sometimes I feel answer of such SC questions entirely depends on what the preparer of the question wants to test. Accordingly, preparer wants to test "like vs as" in this question so the answer is E. If it were a question testing pronouns, E would never be the answer since "it" in option "E" is clearly ambigious.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 09:10
Expert's post
The OG’s explanation is indeed weird. To say that the two-letter word – it - refers to a phrasal subject- Owning and living in a freestanding house- is perplexing What is more amazing is that- it - is singular while the phrasal subject is indeed plural involving two distinct phenomena, such as owning and living

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 22:05
daagh wrote:
The OG’s explanation is indeed weird. To say that the two-letter word – it - refers to a phrasal subject- Owning and living in a freestanding house- is perplexing What is more amazing is that- it - is singular while the phrasal subject is indeed plural involving two distinct phenomena, such as owning and living

you are exactly right on this. at least they should have put "they were" in place of "it was" :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

According to a recent poll,owning and living in a. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 05:29

A.like that of earlier generations
B.as that for earlier generations
C.just as earlier generations did
D.as have earlier generations
E.as it was of earlier generations

The OG explains that A is incorrect because "that", without subjet and verb, is not parallel to the main clause.
But if we ignore this error, is the pronounce"that" an appropriate one here?
In Manhattan SC, it pointed out that when you use "it","they",or other personal pronounce,you mean the same actual thing as the antecedent. in contrast, when you use pronounce"that", you refer to a NEW COPY but not the same one. In this example, the subject is "owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land" and it mentioned "is still a goal of..." , so it is obvious that the "goal" is a single goal shared by generations.

so, is "that" or "it" more appropriate here?

Thx alot
hope you forgive my poor expression :) :) :) :)

Last edited by carcass on 28 Jul 2014, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the title of the question
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: According to a recent poll,owning and living in a. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 05:43
ZoeHu wrote:

The OG explains that A is incorrect because "that", without subjet and verb, is not parallel to the main clause.
In Manhattan SC, it pointed out that when you use "it","they",or other personal pronounce,you mean the same actual thing as the antecedent. in contrast, when you use pronounce"that", you refer to a NEW COPY but not the same one. In this example, the subject is "owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land" and it mentioned "is still a goal of..." , so it is obvious that the "goal" is a single goal shared by generations.

Thx alot

Hi ZoeHu,

I think the OA you provided might be incorrect. I think the correct answer is (E). A couple things about your analysis:
1) I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about that being a new copy. I may be mistaken here, but I have never thought of it that way. (Notice my use of that does not imply a copy of the thought).
2) I assume you meant pronoun, not pronounce.
3) To answer these types of questions, I try to simplify the sentence as much as possible to reduce noise. In this case, I opted to remove all of the confusing prepositional phrases...

According to a recent poll,owning and livingin a freestanding house on its own land is still a goalof a majority of young adults

After you do that, it becomes a lot easier to identify the correct answer choice by trying to identify whether the pronoun clearly has a noun it can refer to.

Lighthouse Prep

Learn more about Polaris, (FREE Official Guide companion app) and free 20-Minute GMAT Drills at www.lighthouseprep.us, Facebook, Google+, and Twitter.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: According to a recent poll,owning and living in a. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 08:07
LighthousePrep wrote:
ZoeHu wrote:

Thx alot

Hi ZoeHu,

I think the OA you provided might be incorrect. I think the correct answer is (E). A couple things about your analysis:
1) I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about that being a new copy. I may be mistaken here, but I have never thought of it that way. (Notice my use of that does not imply a copy of the thought).
2) I assume you meant pronoun, not pronounce.
3) To answer these types of questions, I try to simplify the sentence as much as possible to reduce noise. In this case, I opted to remove all of the confusing prepositional phrases...

According to a recent poll,owning and livingin a freestanding house on its own land is still a goalof a majority of young adults

After you do that, it becomes a lot easier to identify the correct answer choice by trying to identify whether the pronoun clearly has a noun it can refer to.

yes, the right answer is E , this is my first time to post the question here so i made some mistakes when i submit my question.
thx for your explanation. yes, that should be pronoun( OMG my poor english. )
I think you may be right. Now this question is quite easy to figure out.
Thx again
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 337 [0], given: 5

Re: According to a recent poll,owning and living in a. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 13:05
Expert's post
To clarify, "that" does not always function as a pronoun and even when functioning as a pronoun it's not always acting in this "new copy" fashion. This particular sentence, however, does have "that" acting as a pronoun where it would be a new copy. Here is another GMATPrep sentence that uses "that" in the same way: "The Neanderthal had a vocal tract like THAT of the apes" (I'm pulling from memory so that may not be word-for-word).

Using the pronoun "that" to represent a new copy doesn't work particularly well here. It makes sense when you are talking about things that obviously cannot be shared: "Their house looks just like that of my parents" or "Her dancing was superior to that of her rival". [Notice that the "new-copy" that construction is a bit awkward and can be easily stated in other ways, such as using the possessive.] In this sentence the goals are shared and not exclusive, so it doesn't really call for "that" as a pronoun.

The real kicker against "that" in this problem (as cited by the OA) is the lack of parallelism between the main clause and this subordinate clause. "That" would stand in the place of the very long idea "owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land", which is followed by the verb "is". To be parallel, we would need to include the verb "was" after "that" to be parallel in structure. ....owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is a goal..., as that was... [again, I would prefer using the pronoun "it" to indicate the goals are the same]

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: According to a recent poll,owning and living in a. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 22:40
To add to what Kyle Widdison stated above, we anyway cannot assume the verb (is/was) after that in option A, because this option uses like.

Remember that like is a preposition and so, cannot be followed by verb (prepositions can only be followed by nouns/pronouns/noun-phrases).

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Re: According to a recent poll,owning and living in a.   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2014, 22:40