Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 17:29
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

66% (01:42) correct 34% (00:39) wrong based on 23 sessions
36. According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 18:36
answer is E.
coparing right things, grammatical.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 19:21
Can we rephrase the sentence this way?

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like earlier generations.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 19:24
I'm going to go against the trend here and vote for A.

that of correctly refers to the goal of young adults today owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land (gerund phrase).

What is OA?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 19:26
chuckle wrote:
Can we rephrase the sentence this way?

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like earlier generations.

No, because then you get an illogical comparison, comparing owning and living... to earlier generations
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 16:10
Oooops... I just saw a big miss! It cannot be A as I explained earlier, because although that of could refer to the goal explained, there needs to be a verb corresponding to is as well.

So I'm going to fall in line and go with E as well. In E, it refers to the goal described and was is parallel with is. The comparison is clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 17:58
comparing goal of gen next with gen next so 'Like' is out should be 'as'

'that for' wrong idiom
does not make sense...
...correct answer
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000 Q36 - freestanding house a dream of young adults [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 18:33
'E' it is.

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2006, 18:39
Good job guys. OA is E.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 23:11
Question sounds incorrect to me. What's the source?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 00:09
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults,like that of earlier generations.
(A) like that of earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did

i read the previous queries related to this questions but still i am not sure if my understanding is correct.So, please correct me if i am wrong.

A)According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults,like that of earlier generations.

meaning: In this sentence the goal of present generation and earlier generations are compared.

as we have like after comma, THAT is compared to the subject of the sentence owning and living..... land.

In this sentence THAT should refer to goal. But THAT refers to the nearest noun which can be young adults,majority of young adults, or goal. so there is ambiguity.

E)as it was of earlier generations

here "it" unambiguously refers to the subject of the sentence "owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land" and doesn't refer to because when a pronoun is used just after comma it should refer to the subject.
so the sentence can be re written as :According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, as owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land was (a goal-elipsis) of earlier generations.

the Og explanation says that option a is incorrect because phrase without subject is not parallel to the main clause.

i am not sure what does this mean.Does it mean that "that"is ambiguous ?

is there any other error that i am missing in A ??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 01:34
SidKaria wrote:
In this sentence THAT should refer to goal. But THAT refers to the nearest noun which can be young adults,majority of young adults, or goal. so there is ambiguity.

Hi Sid, when you mention: THAT refers to the nearest noun which can be young adults,majority of young adults, or goal, I believe you are interpreting the usage of that as as relative pronoun (For example, This is the ball that burst. Here, that as as relative pronoun and refers to ball).

In the sentence under consideration, that is used as a demonstrative pronoun. You might want to refer to the discussion on the thread below, to enhance your understanding.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to-a-recent-poll-owning-and-living-in-a-15189.html#p1387526

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2014, 01:34