Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 19:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (01:37) correct 23% (00:37) wrong based on 34 sessions
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.
(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: SC According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 23:50
ssandeepan wrote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

E.
"owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land" is a clause and demands "as"; "was" is parallel with "is"
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: SC According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 05:08
Between A and E, on test day I would have chosen A.

Not too sure, but it seems as we're referring to a "goal", rather than "owning and living..."

That's why I used like rather than as.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 07:19
I will go with E.

"owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults"

X is still a goal of Y -> 'it' was a goal of A

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

Rule: Use like when you are comparing 2 unlike things. Use as when you are comparing something similar or same.
we are talking about goal of young adults & goal of earlier generations. IMO use 'as'.

A> ruled out.
B> 'as that for' no no in this case
c> ruled out
d>have, doesnt identify the antecedent
e>it clearly identifies with goal & correct usage of 'as'
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 07:57
ssandeepan wrote:

Clearly E for parallelsim and "as" for comparing two clauses
X is goal of you youg adults, as it was of earlier generation
--> X is goal of you youg adults, as X was [goal]of earlier generation.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS

The first sentence is "owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults", we should look for similar structure in the 2nd sentence.

= like that (the goal) of earlier generations
= WRONG, not ll to 1st sentence

= WRONG, "as" is used to modify clause instead of noun "that"

= WRONG, because of "as" again

= as earlier generations have
= not ll
=WRONG

= as it was (the goal) of earlier generations
= ll with first sentence
= Correct

Ans is E
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMB, IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V22
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 01:19
can anyone suggest why "owning and living..land" is considered as singular; here we are using "and" to combine 2 goals so verb should be plural (are)
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 01:29
mail2harvinder wrote:
can anyone suggest why "owning and living..land" is considered as singular; here we are using "and" to combine 2 goals so verb should be plural (are)

There are few exception in such usage....but IMO GMAT will not test on such usage..as you can clearly see in this question ..this is in non underlined portion.

one example which i can remember is;
fish and chips is my favourite breakfast.

MOREOVER CONSIDER== AS -->THIS IS WRONG IN GMAT.
CORRECT USAGE IS CONSIDER X,Y

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMB, IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V22
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 07:59
thanks
blueseas wrote:
mail2harvinder wrote:

There are few exception in such usage....but IMO GMAT will not test on such usage..as you can clearly see in this question ..this is in non underlined portion.

one example which i can remember is;
fish and chips is my favourite breakfast.

MOREOVER CONSIDER== AS -->THIS IS WRONG IN GMAT.
CORRECT USAGE IS CONSIDER X,Y

hope it helps

thanks for "consider as" correction :-) but i am still struggling to find the rules for singular/plural usage when there is "AND" in the subject, as per MGMAT subject is considered plural whenever "AND" is used within the subject
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 14:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1474

Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 14:58
M getting confused with the antecedent of "it" in option E! Unable to figure out whether it refers to the whole idea of "owning and living......" or just to the "goal". Can someone please guide me through.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: HKUST '15, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 42

CAT Tests
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2014, 02:50
maggie27 wrote:
M getting confused with the antecedent of "it" in option E! Unable to figure out whether it refers to the whole idea of "owning and living......" or just to the "goal". Can someone please guide me through.

According to me , It refers to the whole idea "owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land" and a goal is implicit and is in ellipsis.
as it was [a goal] of earlier generations

I am no expert but gave my opinion.if i am wrong no bashing plz :lol:

Success has been and continues to be defined as Getting up one more time than you have been knocked down.

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2014, 02:50