Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent school survey, the number of students

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 314
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 06:34
sprtng wrote:
can't be B or D because they actually strengthens the argument.

can't be C as they changed the system, didn't say anything about 10 years ago, could be that they changed it back 10 years ago again.

can't be E as it is not related to this argument


Can you explain why it is A?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 06:47
I repeat.

Netcaesar, is there a typo in A?

The option A says:
Most of the students who now attend campus services do so largely for social reasons.
Was it supposed to be?
Most of the students who now attend religious services do so largely for social reasons.

Because if A is about campus services, it is not relevant to religions services, which is what the question is about.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 300
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 07:02
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
sprtng wrote:
can't be B or D because they actually strengthens the argument.

can't be C as they changed the system, didn't say anything about 10 years ago, could be that they changed it back 10 years ago again.

can't be E as it is not related to this argument


Can you explain why it is A?


hmmm i did assume campus service is referring to campus religious service in this context...

if people go to services for social reasons, then that undermines the increase in spirituality, which in turn undermines that argument that increase in spirituality caused cheating rate to go down.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 49
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number of students [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 08:02
The inference is that increased spirituality leads to a decrease in cheating

If students attend church for mostly social reasons that means they are not going for spiritual reasons.

This weakens the inference because any increase in attendance is likely to be for social reasons which shows that increased spirituality is not the reason for the decrease in cheating
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: San Francisco
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number of students [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 09:11
C is a trap. It is called the Shell game as per Powerscore CR bible.

The question says the students cheating is reduced because of their attendance to religous services. We need to find an answer which defies this logic and hence A which says that religous services were more of social rather than learning anything about being moral and hence have no effect on the students cheating in the exams or not.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Posts: 64
Location: LA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number of students [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 09:32
First, this is a simple one but a good one.

One premise is that the number of students attending religious services on campus has increased.
The conclusion is that an increased spirutuality has massively reduced incidences of cheating on exams.
The assumption made is that the increased participation in sprirutuality led to decrease in cheating on exams.

Between options (A) and (C),
Option (A) attacks the premise that the students who attend do so for social reasons.
Where are option (C) suggests an alternative reason for the decrease in cheating on exams.

Both statements are good and both weaken the inference. But option A weakes a premise that is stated in the argument.
Where as the option C introduces a new weaking explanation. So A is a better option than C.

So, A.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Math Divisibility Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 314
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 10:54
sprtng wrote:
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
sprtng wrote:
can't be B or D because they actually strengthens the argument.

can't be C as they changed the system, didn't say anything about 10 years ago, could be that they changed it back 10 years ago again.

can't be E as it is not related to this argument


Can you explain why it is A?


hmmm i did assume campus service is referring to campus religious service in this context...

if people go to services for social reasons, then that undermines the increase in spirituality, which in turn undermines that argument that increase in spirituality caused cheating rate to go down.



This is one way to see it. Consider the following analogy

People who play "shoot them up" video games do so for pleasure. These people cannot experiment any increase in violence, since they only play the video games for pleasure.

I think this is a big assumption. Also I don't like option A because it attacks a premise, most problems in the OG or LSAT attack the conclusion rather than the premise.

I'd like to know the source of this question and the OE if possible
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 359
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 32

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 17:39
my take:

Extracted: "It must be an increased spirituality at our college that has massively reduced incidences of cheating on exams during this period"

(B) Spirituality can be expressed and felt without attendance at regular religious services.

Therefore B attacks the assumption that the increased number of students attending religious services on campus leads to increased spirituality. By questioning the validity of increased spirituality, the argument that points to reduced cheating incidents is weakened.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 359
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 32

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 17:43
izing wrote:
I repeat.

Netcaesar, is there a typo in A?

The option A says:
Most of the students who now attend campus services do so largely for social reasons.
Was it supposed to be?
Most of the students who now attend religious services do so largely for social reasons.

Because if A is about campus services, it is not relevant to religions services, which is what the question is about.


I share your sentiments. Thats why I did not choose A.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 07:23
Tough one!
A seems to be correct only if WE assume that because the students have become increasingly spiritual, they are attending church. A disproves our assumption by saying that no, its not the spirituality of the students that takes them to church; its for social reasons that they go to church. Yes, then A is the answer.
But, what if going to church increases the spirituality of these students? Then, for whatever reason the students go to church, they are coming out as spiritual beings. In this case, A does not weaken the argument.
Now lets examine C.
15 years ago, strict proctoring took over and since last 10 years, the cheating has decreased by 40%. Well, this does not mean that the cheating was not on the decline in the period 15 years ago to 10 years ago. It could have been steadily decreasing in that period as well except that the decline may not have been as remarkable as in the last 10 years!
So, C could be the correct answer as it provides alternative explanation for the decline in cheating.
Just a food for thought!!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 196
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 14:44
rkassal wrote:
Tough one!
A seems to be correct only if WE assume that because the students have become increasingly spiritual, they are attending church. A disproves our assumption by saying that no, its not the spirituality of the students that takes them to church; its for social reasons that they go to church. Yes, then A is the answer.
But, what if going to church increases the spirituality of these students? Then, for whatever reason the students go to church, they are coming out as spiritual beings. In this case, A does not weaken the argument.
Now lets examine C.
15 years ago, strict proctoring took over and since last 10 years, the cheating has decreased by 40%. Well, this does not mean that the cheating was not on the decline in the period 15 years ago to 10 years ago. It could have been steadily decreasing in that period as well except that the decline may not have been as remarkable as in the last 10 years!
So, C could be the correct answer as it provides alternative explanation for the decline in cheating.
Just a food for thought!!!

What makes you think that "changing from Honour system to a closely guarded exam" would reduce cheating.For the last 10 years it has been equally "closely" guarded,no info has been provided that the guarding process has chnaged which should reduce cheating.We tend to fall in the trap of "assuming" that this alternative gives us an alternate explanation because we are used to looking at a "new piece of information which provides us an alternate reason which weakens the conclusion" whereas this question weakens the PREMISE and such type is rare.We should not forget that the exam knows the general test taking tendencies and uses our own ways to ead us to its traps....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 314
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: According to a recent school survey, the number [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 01:12
sasen wrote:
What makes you think that "changing from Honour system to a closely guarded exam" would reduce cheating.For the last 10 years it has been equally "closely" guarded,no info has been provided that the guarding process has chnaged which should reduce cheating.We tend to fall in the trap of "assuming" that this alternative gives us an alternate explanation because we are used to looking at a "new piece of information which provides us an alternate reason which weakens the conclusion" whereas this question weakens the PREMISE and such type is rare.We should not forget that the exam knows the general test taking tendencies and uses our own ways to ead us to its traps....


I don't think that this is an official problem, I'd like to see a GMAT official problem in which the correct answer choice weakens the premises rather than the conclusion, so that it strengthens your argument about the general test taking tendencies.
Re: According to a recent school survey, the number   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2009, 01:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
According to a recent census, the number of high school zoom612 6 06 Jul 2006, 10:45
According to a survey of graduating medical students rchadha 9 01 Sep 2005, 09:16
According to a survey of graduating medical students perezhan 13 24 May 2005, 17:41
According to a survey of graduating medical students chunjuwu 6 20 Jan 2005, 05:06
According to a survey of graduating medical students caribcon 2 11 Dec 2004, 18:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to a recent school survey, the number of students

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.