Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study, fifteen corporations in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

According to a recent study, fifteen corporations in the [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2005, 23:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
According to a recent study, fifteen corporations in the United States that follow a credo of social responsibility are also very profitable. Because of their credos, these fifteen corporations give generously to charity, follow stringent environmental-protection policies, and have vigorous affirmative-action programs.

Q.Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the statements above?

A.Following a credo of social responsibility helps to make a corporation very profitable.
B.It is possible for a corporation that follows a credo of social responsibility to be very profitable.
C.A corporation that gives generously to charity must be doing so because of its credo of social responsibility.
D.Corporations that are very profitable tend to gives generously to charity.
E.Corporations that have vigorous affirmative-action programs also tend to follow stringent environmental-protection polices.

Best regards,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 00:56
A with B.
If B then it could be with A.
A and B are not in relationship of cause-effect.

B.It is possible for a corporation that follows a credo of social responsibility to be very profitable.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 14:12
I am also with (B).

It follows this pattern:
If A then B
since A so B.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 21:16
B is the best, all other choices may have alternative explanations.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 21:27
What do you think of (A)?

Also, I think what (B) states is the exactly the same as what the sentence of "fifteen corporations in the United States that follow a credo of social responsibility are also very profitable" says. I don't see any differences between those 2 setences. Am I correct? Thank you.

Best regards,

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 21:44
Taku wrote:

Also, I think what (B) states is the exactly the same as what the sentence of "fifteen corporations in the United States that follow a credo of social responsibility are also very profitable" says. I don't see any differences between those 2 setences. Am I correct? Thank you.

It is a matter of causal relationship.
A says that following the credo makes the orgs profitable. However, the stem implies that the orgs are profitable DESPITE following the credo.
B just expounds on the stem saying that despite following the credo, some firms can still be profitable.

HTH
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2005, 07:47
greycellz wrote:
Taku wrote:

It is a matter of causal relationship.
A says that following the credo makes the orgs profitable. However, the stem implies that the orgs are profitable DESPITE following the credo.
B just expounds on the stem saying that despite following the credo, some firms can still be profitable.

HTH

Just to add to greycellz, in 'B' there is a word 'possible' which is less aggressive/extreme than 'A'.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2005, 06:07
Taku wrote:

Hi, I think the most apparent b/w A and B is the matter of tone.

(A) seems too absolute. Following a credo doens't necessarily make the organizations profitable.

(B) says it is possible ...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2005, 06:14
Taku wrote:

The best answer to an inference question of this type is that which closely restates what is already in the stem. So, yes, you are correct. B restates the argument, but qualifies it with the word 'possible'. Go with it B.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2005, 15:39
Thanks a lot for the discussions! Appreciate your kind support. Yes, the OA is (B).

Best regards,

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2005, 18:57
1)Recent study: 15 corps in US that follow credo of social responsibility are also profitable

2)Because of their credo, these 15 corps
-give generoulsy to charity
-follow stringent environmental protection policies
-have vigorous affirmative action pgms

Q.Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the statements above?

A.Following a credo of social responsibility helps to make a corporation very profitable.
- Not sure. all we know are these 15 corps happen to be profitable

- Yes, it's possible for a corp to be profitable whiel following a credo of social responsibility

C.A corporation that gives generously to charity must be doing so because of its credo of social responsibility.
- We're told that for the 15 corps, because of their credo, they give generously to charity, but we can't translate these to all corps

D.Corporations that are very profitable tend to gives generously to charity.
- Can't link the two premise together as a cause-effect relationship

E.Corporations that have vigorous affirmative-action programs also tend to follow stringent environmental-protection polices
- Can't be inferred

B is best.
  [#permalink] 18 Apr 2005, 18:57