Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:22) correct 40% (01:17) wrong based on 220 sessions
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.
At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school.
The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.
Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

OA after some discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Last edited by yossarian84 on 24 Nov 2010, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 104 [4] , given: 0

Re: High school seniors [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
yossarian84 wrote:
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
(A) High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.
(B) At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school.
(C) The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.
(D) Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
(E) The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

Here we have an inference question with lots of facts and figures. Since the answer to an inference question is something that MUST BE TRUE based on one or more of the pieces of information, we think to ourselves "I'll be able to draw concrete conclusions from the numbers, so there's an excellent chance that the correct answer will be a mathematical deduction."

Accordingly, let's start with the choices related to math, (B) and (C).

Quote:

We know that 1/3 have significant financial responsibilities, but we have no info on how those students fulfil those duties. Accordingly, (B) is not a MUST BE TRUE and can be eliminated.

Quote:
(C) The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

We know that 1/3 have significant responsibilities; we also know that 80% have opened a bank account and 1/3 of the 80% have bounced a cheque.

Is 1/3 of 100% > than 1/3 of 80%? YES! Accordingly, (C) MUST BE TRUE and is the correct answer to the question.

When you're practicing, you should review every answer choice to every question. So, although in a test situation we'd choose (C) and move on, let's go into "review mode" and take a quick look at the other 3 choices:

Quote:
(A) High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.

Nothing in the stimulus suggest that this is a MUST BE TRUE - we'd have to know a lot more about the educational system to evaluate the impact of (A) - eliminate.

Quote:
(D) Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.

Just because those who have significant financial responsibilities contribute to food, shelter or clothing, that doesn't mean that the reverse is true. This is more of a classic LSAT trap (reversal of sufficiency and necessity, related to formal logic) than a GMAT one.

Quote:
(E) The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

Classic scope shift/too extreme trap - we know that 2/3 don't have "significant" financial responsibilities, but that's not the same as "no" financial responsibilities.

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: High school seniors [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 17:56
Agree with C too. What's the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: High school seniors [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
skovinsky wrote:
yossarian84 wrote:

Here we have an inference question with lots of facts and figures. Since the answer to an inference question is something that MUST BE TRUE based on one or more of the pieces of information, we think to ourselves "I'll be able to draw concrete conclusions from the numbers, so there's an excellent chance that the correct answer will be a mathematical deduction."

Accordingly, let's start with the choices related to math, (B) and (C).

When you're practicing, you should review every answer choice to every question. So, although in a test situation we'd choose (C) and move on, let's go into "review mode" and take a quick look at the other 3 choices:

Thanks Stuart,

OA is C indeed.

In the test I got confused by the question stem - "Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above"

I thought its an identify the conclusion question....and hence marked A...though I knew that C must be true.

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: High school seniors [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is C.

A. Opinion
B. Out of Scope
C. Correct. Given from arguement, 1/3 of students have significant financial responsibilities. 1/3 of 80% of students have bounced a check. Therefore high school seniors with significant financial responsibilties are greater.
D. The passage lists these as an example of significant financial responsibilities. Not that these actions lead to significant financial responsibilities
E. Passage talks about significant ifnancial responsibilites.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 09:51
A little math involved but my answer is also C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 10:27
Answer is C.. that is the only statement that can be derived from the information provided in the paragraph
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 23:33
i think the question is wrong. it mentions only percentages. what if only 100 people were surveyed in the first first study and thousand people were surveyed in the second(nowhere is it mentioned the no. of people surveyed is the same). then people having responsibilities is one third of 100=33 approx. now the no. of people whose checks bounced in one third of 80% of 1000=0.3 * 800. which is more than 33. Can the experts throw light on this please?

this time, we play for keeps

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 23:46
As far as i have seen, most of math related options (if there is only one among the option) seem to be the OA.

Has anybody else observed this?

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 48

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 02:20
vinzycoolfire wrote:
i think the question is wrong. it mentions only percentages. what if only 100 people were surveyed in the first first study and thousand people were surveyed in the second(nowhere is it mentioned the no. of people surveyed is the same). then people having responsibilities is one third of 100=33 approx. now the no. of people whose checks bounced in one third of 80% of 1000=0.3 * 800. which is more than 33. Can the experts throw light on this please?

i guess that your claim about the number of students surveyed would have made an excellent choice if the question had involved finding an assumption that weakens the argument. However, since we are presented with facts here, the default assumption made must be that the 2 surveys involved the same number, or set of people.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 09:04
well thebigr002 imho in must be true questions the answer choice should be backed by the facts provided to you. that means you cannot assume this. in fact you can actually classify an answer as wrong if it is not backed by the facts provided. so i am still not convinced.

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 22:06
yossarian84 wrote:

High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.
The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.
Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

My option : A
Analysis: Option B false ,because the above info points to 1/3 rd seniors exactly.
Option C: No discussion for checks/bouncing checks is made here.
Option D:These responsibilities include, [highlight]but are not limited to[/highlight]. This says all!!
Option E:This cannot be concluded as the above info says"themselves or their families"
Intern
Intern

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 22:14
gmadhav wrote:
yossarian84 wrote:

My option : A
Analysis: Option B false ,because the above info points to 1/3 rd seniors exactly.
Option C: No discussion for checks/bouncing checks is made here.
Option D:These responsibilities include, [highlight]but are not limited to[/highlight]. This says all!!
Option E:This cannot be concluded as the above info says"themselves or their families"

:oops: Plz ignore my above analysis.Could not read the passage entirely because the page did nt load completely :cry:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 06:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 113

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 23:44
I choose C, agree with the explanations written so far. One question though, how can you be sure that the number of high school seniors questioned from first study equals to the number of high school seniors from the second study.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 23:44