Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 15

Reviews Badge
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:52) correct 30% (01:55) wrong based on 310 sessions
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

a)High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.

b)At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school.

c)The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

d)Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.

e)The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

iam cofused betweeen (A) and (C)
reason:ps bible says that from %age info we cannot make any conclusion about absolute values.So, c cannot be correct.Also ,(c) assumes that sample size of both surveys are the same which need not be true ,in that case again(c) seems to be doubtful
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 20:52
A is enticing but C can be concluded with more certainty.

While incorporating a pers. fin. class in the core curricula might help we don't know for sure if that class will really help in reducing bounced checks.

C can be concluded because if we assume X to be the total number of students, then we know that 1/3*X have high financial responsibility. However, numb of students with a bounced check = 1/3*(.8X), since only 80% of the students have a bank a/c and out of that one third accounts have a bounced check.

therefore we can conclude that X/3 > .8X/3. Hence Ans =C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 10:36
+1 with the above explanation. While A could be correct, C must be correct from the question stem (1/3 of X greater than 1/3 0.8X).

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 23:09
C is as direct as it gets .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 19:50
c
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 20:20
Yes, you cannot make conclusions about absolut values from %ages, for instance if i was saying that 30 % of X is more than 20 % of Y, I am not justified. But what if i am saying 30 % of X is more than 20 % of X. That will always be true, right? regardless of the value of X it's 30 % would always be more than its 20 %. Also 30 % of X would be less than 30 % of Y, if I know X is less than Y.
C compares number of students who say they have financial responsibilities (1/3rd of total) to number of students who have accounts( 80% of total) AND have bounced a cheque (1/3rd of account holder i.e. 1/3rd of 80 % of Total)
We are sure that 1/3 (T) > 1/3 (80%) (T)
Thus we can draw C as a conclusion wuithout any doubt
COming to the query about sample size: Sample size doesnt matter. The studies are not saying that 1/3rd of THEIR SAMPLE or 80 % of their SAMPLE- The study is talking about the total number of high school students and presenting data about them. The sample sizes use to draw these conclusions are as irrelevant to the question as the technique of survey!
Thus C is correct option.
Why A is wrong is that it is making a judgment/giving an opinion based only on assertions given in the premises.Even if we can infer from the study that students lack personal finance skills, how can we say that incoporating them in the curricula will make students adopt this sunject, learn from it, use these skills in daily life..lot of ifs. Therefore not a watertight conclusion
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Design (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 21:23
A is out of scope
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 22:01
+1 C

The answer which is closer to the argument is better. There is no doubt in C.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: mgmat cr-statistics+conclusion [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 18:52
dreambeliever wrote:
A is enticing but C can be concluded with more certainty.

While incorporating a pers. fin. class in the core curricula might help we don't know for sure if that class will really help in reducing bounced checks.

C can be concluded because if we assume X to be the total number of students, then we know that 1/3*X have high financial responsibility. However, numb of students with a bounced check = 1/3*(.8X), since only 80% of the students have a bank a/c and out of that one third accounts have a bounced check.

therefore we can conclude that X/3 > .8X/3. Hence Ans =C

But we should note that the two results came from two researches which only took sample of the whole students in the school. Do they ensure that number of students in the first result is equal to that in the other. We should be careful with percentage and number which GMAT often plays trick on. That is why I got stuck with this question. I am not sure this question would appear on the real test...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 20:20
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.”

According to this statement from the argument, the first study focuses on the high school students in general. So we have to consider all the high school students, not just a specific group.

At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students.

Now, this second study also talks about the same high school students. I think we can safely infer that the number of students being spoken about is the same because there is no distinction made in the argument about the number of students in either study. Both the studies are referring to ALL the high school students in general. The overall strength of all high school students should be taken into consideration.

Taking this into consideration, I think it is pretty clear that C is a clear winner. The numbers and percentages can now be used to show that C must be true.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 31

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 17:09
A is a trap - it is forcing us to bring in outside knowledge such as possible sources of money. The passage never talks about the money sources
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 13

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 19:11
I dont think C is right

1/3 of high school seniors with “significant financial responsibilities.” can be any number can 9 or 99 we dont know that

80% of high school seniors can be 99 or 999 and 1/3 of those can be greater then or less then we just can derive that.

So dont think "C" is right

I think "B" is more relevant because it clearly says "one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school" and this can be concluded from statement
"one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities."
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 13:45
kuttingchai wrote:
I dont think C is right

1/3 of high school seniors with “significant financial responsibilities.” can be any number can 9 or 99 we dont know that

80% of high school seniors can be 99 or 999 and 1/3 of those can be greater then or less then we just can derive that.

So dont think "C" is right

I think "B" is more relevant because it clearly says "one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school" and this can be concluded from statement
"one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities."

Just take a imaginary number of seniors in high school...say 1000 high school seniors.

If 1/3 of them have "significant financial responsibilities" then that's 333 students.

If 80% of 1000 has a checking account, that's 800 students. Of those 800, about 1/3 bounced a check and that makes it 266 students.

333 > 266

Very straightforward.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 11:41
C is with high certainty while A is not necessarily certain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 33

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 19:37
Marked C. A is an opinion and cannot be concluded from the stem. C is the obvious choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 02:25
Let X be the number of High school seniors

High school seniors with significant financial responsibilities = (1/3)X ------------- (1)
High school seniors with bank accounts = 80% of X = 0.8 X ------------------------- (2)
High school seniors with bank accounts that has bounced check = (1/3)(0.8)X --- (3)

Clearly (1) > (3)

C is the answer
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 09:29
Marked E, pity me..
the mistake in E is the use of "students" and not "seniors" which i missed.
Otherwise, C is perfect, logically and mathematically.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 10:03
Argument evaluation:
1st study, 1/3 of HSS (high school seniors) = "significant financial responsibilities" (= food, shelter, clothing for themselves and families)
2nd study; 80% of HSS never take a personal finance class even though 80% of HSS opened bank accounts
1/3 of these accounts holders has bounced a check

=> easy to choose choice C as the correct one.
c)The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 03:00
C is the correct choice .. use numbers to reach to the sam eanalysis as one-third > (1/3)* 80%

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 11:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2014, 11:54