Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study, the elderly in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

According to a recent study, the elderly in the United [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (01:23) correct 13% (00:00) wrong based on 15 sessions
According to a recent study, the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as to receive it from them.
(A) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as
(B) the elderly in the United States are four times as likely to give regular financial aid to their children as it is for them
(C) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children than
(D) it is four times more likely for the elderly in the United Statesto give regular financial aid to their children than they are
(E) it is four times as likely that the elderly in the United States will give their children regular financial aid as they are

wats d diff betwn 'as likely' and 'more likely' and wats d correct idiom pertaining to them.. as in ...'more likely to/than'..?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:45
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
According to a recent study, the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as to receive it from them.
(A) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as
(B) the elderly in the United States are four times as likely to give regular financial aid to their children as it is for them
(C) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children than
(D) it is four times more likely for the elderly in the United Statesto give regular financial aid to their children than they are
(E) it is four times as likely that the elderly in the United States will give their children regular financial aid as they are

wats d diff betwn 'as likely' and 'more likely' and wats d correct idiom pertaining to them.. as in ...'more likely to/than'..?

Is it C?

As likely is "about the same" - like 50/50 chance of either happening. More likely is the chances of something happening is greater. So I think that means B and E are out of the answers. I think C is more clear. D is a bit wordy and B just doesnt sound right with the last part....

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:46
My answer is C.

Made my choice on the premise that "more likely....than" is the proper idiomatic expression.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 05:20
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

IMO C ... more X than Y

A is wrong for wrong idiom. ( more X as Y ??)
B unnecessary 'it' twice

D 'it' is referring to what?
E same as D
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 05:21
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

and by the way can you please underline the testing part? it makes easy for us..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 07:35
ugimba wrote:
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

IMO C ... more X than Y

B unnecessary 'it' twice

E same as D

'it' could be a placeholder IT, which doesnt has an antecedent.... or is it that only in particular cases this 'placeholder IT' is used.

ugimba wrote:
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

and by the way can you please underline the testing part? it makes easy for us..

des wer few of ma new posts, so just missed out to underline, will do so hereafter.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 08:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
ugimba wrote:
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

IMO C ... more X than Y

B unnecessary 'it' twice

E same as D

[quote="
'it' could be a placeholder IT, which doesnt has an antecedent.... or is it that only in particular cases this 'placeholder IT' is used.

you are correct. 'it' can be used as place holder. I too was not too confident making that option wrong by just 'it' but some how this sentence was not as good as option C ..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 08:56
C for me.

more likely X than Y

more likely [to give] than [to receive] --> is idiomatic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 112

Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 18:11
c...explanation same as seekmba
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top Taiwanese university

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 02:04

hope it's right and helpful!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 06:17
Is it C? Considering the responses I think C is the right choice, but can u share the OA please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: as/more likely [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 08:47
IMO C.
"as to' is incorrect according to me and in C its nicely replaced by than

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a recent study, the elderly in the United [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 08:51
Even though 'as likely as' expression is correct, the original sentence is trying to say something like 4 times more likely than, so only C reflects the intended meaning. Also C is concise while other choices are wordy.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent study, the elderly in the United [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 04:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: According to a recent study, the elderly in the United   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2014, 04:49