Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 01:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (02:15) correct 31% (01:31) wrong based on 22 sessions
According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering from severely debilitating depression, a large majority of the patients reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression. Yet sleep-deprivation is not used to treat depression even though the conventional treatments, which use drugs and electric shocks, often have serious side effects.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the fact that sleep-deprivation is not used as a treatment for depression?
•For a small percentage of depressed patients, missing a night’s sleep induces a temporary sense of euphoria.
•Keeping depressed patients awake is more difficult thank keeping awake people who are not depressed.
•Prolonged loss of sleep can lead to temporary impairment of judgment comparable to that induced by consuming several ounces of alcohol.
•The dramatic shifts in mood connected with sleep and wakefulness have not been traced to particular changes in brain chemistry.
•Depression returns in full force as soon as the patient sleeps for even a few minutes.

OA is later. Will you explain how to solve this CR? For me, there are at least 3 answers that can be possibly correct :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 02:04
E.
E shows why sleep deprivation is not used: depression is returned in full force after sleeping. Then what's the meaning to take another measure that gives the same result: better let them sleep and search other methods (such as conventional treatment) to cure.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 12:45
E

Which of the following, if true, best explains the fact that sleep-deprivation is not used as a treatment for depression?
•For a small percentage of depressed patients, missing a night’s sleep induces a temporary sense of euphoria. --- which does not explain why sleep-deprivation is not used as a treatment for depression
•Keeping depressed patients awake is more difficult thank keeping awake people who are not depressed. --- more difficult can mean anything - 0.1% more difficult might not be very dfficult even though its 'more' dificult
•Prolonged loss of sleep can lead to temporary impairment of judgment comparable to that induced by consuming several ounces of alcohol. ---- Different problem, not relevant, also is temporary as indicated
•The dramatic shifts in mood connected with sleep and wakefulness have not been traced to particular changes in brain chemistry. ----not relevant
•Depression returns in full force as soon as the patient sleeps for even a few minutes. --- makes most sense in the context since it doesnt solve the main issue
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 15:47
E says its not a cure...cuz depression returns back..and its not humanly possible to go without sleeping for too long..well maybe those sick B***tds experimenting with human beings at Guantanomo might have a differing opinion..

so E is best
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 21:28
Thank you, guys.

Now it makes sense. OA is E.
GREAT JOB!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2008, 22:20
E, this question is from OG11 as I remember
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 02:06
E is funny and correct . it also implies that in order to prevent depression the patient should not sleep. for 1 day it is ok ... for 2 days :)) for 4 day :D for 40 days of depression free life one should avoid 40 days of sleep :p

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 13:29
E
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 21:56
Rice wrote:
According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering from severely debilitating depression, a large majority of the patients reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression. Yet sleep-deprivation is not used to treat depression even though the conventional treatments, which use drugs and electric shocks, often have serious side effects.

•For a small percentage of depressed patients, missing a night’s sleep induces a temporary sense of euphoria.
•Keeping depressed patients awake is more difficult thank keeping awake people who are not depressed.
•Prolonged loss of sleep can lead to temporary impairment of judgment comparable to that induced by consuming several ounces of alcohol.
•The dramatic shifts in mood connected with sleep and wakefulness have not been traced to particular changes in brain chemistry.
•Depression returns in full force as soon as the patient sleeps for even a few minutes.

OA is later. Will you explain how to solve this CR? For me, there are at least 3 answers that can be possibly correct :-D

Answer is E because if depression returns back in FULL FORCE then that treatment is no good.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 23:13
Clear E.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 153 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Good replies above on why E is the correct answer. I was just talking to a student about ruthless quick-elimination based on scope (a really valuable skill) and thought it might be useful here too. As you get really good at recognizing what is or is not relevant to the conclusion, you can often avoid thinking too much about the answers at all-- as *soon* as you recognize it's out of scope (which can take 3 seconds sometimes!) you can cross off that choice and move on. If something looks like it will take a little more time to evaluate, feel free to *defer* rather than spending a lot of time to evaluate it in sequence. You may get rid of all the others quickly, which will leave you with the correct answer in the least amount of time. Or you may come across something clearly better down the road (again, the most efficient use of time).

We're being asked to explain why sleep deprivation, while successful at lifting depression after a night, isn't used to treat depression.

(A) "For a small percentage of patients"-- you can almost stop reading here. Who cares about a small percentage, unless there is some really horrible side effect? A quick skim of the rest of the choice reveals that this group experiences something GOOD, not bad. Nix.

(B) Keeping depressed patients awake is more difficult than keeping awake people who are not depressed. Again, who cares? We only care about treatment of depression-- we're not comparing depressed people to un-depressed people.

(C ) Prolonged loss of sleep can lead to temporary impairment of judgment comparable to that induced by consuming several ounces of alcohol.
(Hmmm...This one actually does show a negative effect of sleep deprivation. I might DEFER here.)[/color]

(D) The dramatic shifts in mood connected with sleep and wakefulness have not been traced to particular changes in brain chemistry. Who cares about *why* it works (unless, again, there's some negative?) We know THAT it works, and want to know why we don't use it more.

(E) Depression returns in full force as soon as the patient sleeps for even a few minutes.

Whoa, in full force? And in even a few minutes? Well, we clearly have to sleep at some point, so this is a BIG drawback, and much more directly so than C. So we don't have to waste time thinking intensely about C (which is less relevant to the issue we're trying to resolve), and can go with E in the least possible amount of time.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 13:26
As depression come back in full force sleep deprivation is not used.
Ans. E

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 14:31
E for me!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: GMAT PREP CR depression [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 18:55
E.+1
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Human Resources, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 03:36
can anyone help
I have a little query .I picked C.My line of reasoning was as the option says that the loss of sleep caused impairment of judgement and the people reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression,cant it be a case where because of this impairment in judgement they felt relieved of their depression while actually they were not.As soon as they gained proper judgement they they felt depressed.So this is supposed to mean loss of sleep actually does not lift depression and gives the strongest cause for it not to be used as a treatment.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1191

Kudos [?]: 3186 [1] , given: 179

Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 04:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
therock99 wrote:
can anyone help
I have a little query .I picked C.My line of reasoning was as the option says that the loss of sleep caused impairment of judgement and the people reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression,cant it be a case where because of this impairment in judgement they felt relieved of their depression while actually they were not.As soon as they gained proper judgement they they felt depressed.So this is supposed to mean loss of sleep actually does not lift depression and gives the strongest cause for it not to be used as a treatment.

So, you mean that a person can be depressed even though he does not think so.

Isn't depression a state of mind? Aren't you depressed only when you think you are depressed?

-Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 05:25
So, you mean that a person can be depressed even though he does not think so.

Isn't depression a state of mind? Aren't you depressed only when you think you are depressed?

-Chiranjeev[/quote]

Hi
Thanks for replying
Yes depression is a state of mind .But it is caused by the circumstances we are in .An impairment of ones judgement can cause a person to judge those circumstances differently and be relieved of that depression.But that relief is temporary and false.

for example if i cant judge my GMAT score to be good or bad .I will be happy if I get a 100 (100 was almost the best I could get in my board exams) .I wont be depressed with my score .But when I am able to judge then only I can understand its a bad score and be depressed about it.The temporary problem in judgement does no good to my depression only hides it for a moment which will come back as soon i find my reasoning

Just one more example :A hears that his shop is burned and is depressed.Go tell him it wasnt ur shop but ur neighbors n he is relieved.It dat a solution to his problem of depression I would say NO

You can say its a far fetched conclusion but still this proves that loss of sleep does not solve the problem but just hide it

E as it stand is a stronger contender.But just want to know a solid reason to eliminate C
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3186 [1] , given: 179

Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
therock99 wrote:

Hi
Thanks for replying
Yes depression is a state of mind .But it is caused by the circumstances we are in .An impairment of ones judgement can cause a person to judge those circumstances differently and be relieved of that depression.But that relief is temporary and false.

for example if i cant judge my GMAT score to be good or bad .I will be happy if I get a 100 (100 was almost the best I could get in my board exams) .I wont be depressed with my score .But when I am able to judge then only I can understand its a bad score and be depressed about it.The temporary problem in judgement does no good to my depression only hides it for a moment which will come back as soon i find my reasoning

Just one more example :A hears that his shop is burned and is depressed.Go tell him it wasnt ur shop but ur neighbors n he is relieved.It dat a solution to his problem of depression I would say NO

You can say its a far fetched conclusion but still this proves that loss of sleep does not solve the problem but just hide it

E as it stand is a stronger contender.But just want to know a solid reason to eliminate C

Ok. I think whether we take your interpretation (depression was there but they did not feel it) or my interpretation (depression was not there) for option C, it does not matter much because option C uses the word "temporary", so even if the depression is healed, it is temporary. So, it sort of explains why sleep-deprivation is not used.

But again, we both agree that option E is better and the questions asks us to find the "best" answer statement, not the "correct" one.

-Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 23:40
egmat wrote:
therock99 wrote:

Ok. I think whether we take your interpretation (depression was there but they did not feel it) or my interpretation (depression was not there) for option C, it does not matter much because option C uses the word "temporary", so even if the depression is healed, it is temporary. So, it sort of explains why sleep-deprivation is not used.

But again, we both agree that option E is better and the questions asks us to find the "best" answer statement, not the "correct" one.

-Chiranjeev

Thanks for replying ,
yes I do agee with the answer but I just wanted to clarify my thought process,I have noticed that the more you think in these CR question the more you get them wrong .They basically are maths question where you have to apply simple addition subtraction on the value(premise) and come up with the answer .When u actually start reasoning in critical reasoning u get all question wrong .
Is this what think ,or is what happens to others also
One more question,I have seen people talk about prephrase and prethink....but when u think over the top...it takes mor tym fer u cum bak and see the obvious choice ...wuldnt it be better to analyse the choices on their merit rather dan make ur own answer b4 diving into the answer choice .Bcoz wat i see is 90 % of cr is in ur face answers and we confuse ourself by thinking too much :shock:
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3186 [0], given: 179

Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 20:37
Expert's post
therock99 wrote:
Thanks for replying ,
yes I do agee with the answer but I just wanted to clarify my thought process,I have noticed that the more you think in these CR question the more you get them wrong .They basically are maths question where you have to apply simple addition subtraction on the value(premise) and come up with the answer .When u actually start reasoning in critical reasoning u get all question wrong .

Is this what think ,or is what happens to others also

NO. The more you think, the better you become. The more critically you see, the more clear and sure you become of your answers. Critical Reasoning is not at all like Maths. In Maths, there is always black and white. In CR, there is a lot of grey area. Even in the question we discussed, we saw that option C could be interpreted in different ways and could be a weak contender for the answer. This is never applicable in Maths.

Also, you NEVER get questions wrong even if you think INFINITELY more than required. The only requirement is that you don't go in the wrong direction. This requirement is even applicable when you think little. Right?

We at e-GMAT not only read and solve OG questions but also eat, drink and breath them. You can look at our articles to get a sense of that:

list-of-free-e-gmat-cr-resources-156073.html#p1246727

But this kind of analysis of OG questions does not make us wrong but instead supremely confident of the answers and the explanations we provide.

Also, even if you look at this question, you knew that option E was better than option C. Right?

therock99 wrote:
One more question,I have seen people talk about prephrase and prethink....but when u think over the top...it takes mor tym fer u cum bak and see the obvious choice ...wuldnt it be better to analyse the choices on their merit rather dan make ur own answer b4 diving into the answer choice .Bcoz wat i see is 90 % of cr is in ur face answers and we confuse ourself by thinking too much :shock:

Well, if 90% of CR questions actually throw questions in your face, then probably you need not prethink. In such a case, your accuracy is CR must already be around ~95%. Then, you need not worry about prethinking. It is meant for lesser mortals who have accuracy less than 85-90%.

By the way, if you still interested in knowing about prethinking, you can attend our free session on 22nd September. You can register on our website for free trial; once you do that, you'll get all the notifications for free sessions.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 20:37