Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [109]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [54]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [36]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only one percent [#permalink]
Kudos
in E, first part says "suffer", second part says "did so". Tense is not matching.

A is correct, had is required because we r talking about 2 events (depression and age of 75) of which, one had occurred before another.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only one percent [#permalink]
Kudos
rashminet84 wrote:
in E, first part says "suffer", second part says "did so". Tense is not matching.

A is correct, had is required because we r talking about 2 events (depression and age of 75) of which, one had occurred before another.

In "A", "by the age of seventy five" & "by age twenty four" are not parallel.

What do you say guys?? I ignored "A" only because of this reason. "the" was missing in "by age twenty four" ?????
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
"by the age of seventy five" & "by age twenty four" - more than word per word, the logical structure should be parallel. "by the age of seventy five" and "by age twenty four" are both nouns and hence missing a "the" shouldn't be an issue. For example you can compare a "mice" to "lions and tigers" which would still be correct in a sentence:

Like mice, lions and tigers are extremely hard working animals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Send PM
I see no body selecting B. Am I missing something very obvious here? Moreover as per Manhattan GMAT a clause after semi-colon be able to stand on its own. So how can A be the correct answer.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [4]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
arundas wrote:
I see no body selecting B. Am I missing something very obvious here? Moreover as per Manhattan GMAT a clause after semi-colon be able to stand on its own. So how can A be the correct answer.

(A) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 had suffered major depression by the age of seventy-five; of those born since 1955, six percent had become depressed by age twenty-four

The bolded portion is a clause that is related to the clause before semi colon.

For semi colon it is not necessary to explain the previous clause but if they are related there is no harm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
is there an official answer to this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
Kudos
@aman :

of those born since 1955, six percent had become depressed by age twenty-four .

This is a complete sentence and should be able to stand independently. A is the correct option.

Initially , I thought it was C but the latter part of the sentence is awkward with parallelism being violated .

(C) of Americans born before 1905, only one percent of them have suffered major depression by age seventy-five, but six percent of those born since 1955 do by the age of twenty-four
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
I think A would be correct choice.

According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only one percent of Americans born before 1905 had suffered major depression by the age of seventy-five; of those born since 1955, six percent had become depressed by age twenty-four.
(A) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 had suffered major depression by the age of seventy-five; of those born since 1955, six percent had become depressed by age twenty-four [seems correct syntactically and meaning-wise]
(B) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression by the age of seventy-five; if they are born since 1955, six percent become depressed by age twenty-four [incorrect usage of the word suffer; should be suffered. Similarly for become]
(C) of Americans born before 1905, only one percent of them have suffered major depression by age seventy-five, but six percent of those born since 1955 do by the age of twenty-four [have suffered should be had suffered; since 1955 did by..]
[only one percent of them--unnecessary usage of them. omitting it makes the meaning clear as well]
(D) major depression is suffered by the age of seventy-five by only one percent of Americans born before 1905, and by age twenty-four by the six percent born since 1955 [no matching between only one percent and by the six percent;Incorrect sentence construction]
(E) Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression by the age of seventy-five only one percent of the time, but six percent of those born since 1955 did so by age twenty-four [suffer ..did so...No matching of tenses...also the meaning becomes ambiguous..by the age of seventy-five only one percent of the time..are we referring to a period/ passage/ quantity of time?]
Plz clarify between A, B and E....
E seems to be appropriate....????..
In A had is required or not????
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In "those born since 1955", "since" means "after". You need to use the past perfect to imply that the Americans became depressed "before" they turned (simple past) 24.

Read the sentence with present perfect:
Of those born after 1955, six percent have become depressed by age 24.

The present perfect is used for actions occurring in this window: past--present. But the Americans did not turn 24 today. You cannot combine the present perfect with markers of the past such as "last week" or "by some (past moment)".

--Prasad
GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [1]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM