Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC 41/1000 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 04:40
is there an official answer to this?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: SC 41/1000 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 10:48
A seems better .
between A,B........B seem vague
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: SC 41/1000 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 04:40
Since published is in the past..ie., she published a report on something that had happened before..so, past perfect needs to be used here..it is correctly used only in option A...the second part of (B) after the semi-colon talks about ..if they are born, which is awkward.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC 41/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 10:01
I think A would be correct choice.

According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only one percent of Americans born before 1905 had suffered major depression by the age of seventy-five; of those born since 1955, six percent had become depressed by age twenty-four.
(A) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 had suffered major depression by the age of seventy-five; of those born since 1955, six percent had become depressed by age twenty-four [seems correct syntactically and meaning-wise]
(B) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression by the age of seventy-five; if they are born since 1955, six percent become depressed by age twenty-four [incorrect usage of the word suffer; should be suffered. Similarly for become]
(C) of Americans born before 1905, only one percent of them have suffered major depression by age seventy-five, but six percent of those born since 1955 do by the age of twenty-four [have suffered should be had suffered; since 1955 did by..]
[only one percent of them--unnecessary usage of them. omitting it makes the meaning clear as well]
(D) major depression is suffered by the age of seventy-five by only one percent of Americans born before 1905, and by age twenty-four by the six percent born since 1955 [no matching between only one percent and by the six percent;Incorrect sentence construction]
(E) Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression by the age of seventy-five only one percent of the time, but six percent of those born since 1955 did so by age twenty-four [suffer ..did so...No matching of tenses...also the meaning becomes ambiguous..by the age of seventy-five only one percent of the time..are we referring to a period/ passage/ quantity of time?]
Plz clarify between A, B and E....
E seems to be appropriate....????..
In A had is required or not????

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SC 41/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 21:58
arundas wrote:
I see no body selecting B. Am I missing something very obvious here? Moreover as per Manhattan GMAT a clause after semi-colon be able to stand on its own. So how can A be the correct answer.

(B) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression by the age of seventy-five; if they are born since 1955, six percent become depressed by age twenty-four..

In this question, we are trying to show contrast between people who are born before 1905 and since 1955. The usage of "if" is not very apt, also u can observe that a present tense is usage "Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression" and thus the choice can be eliminated.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SC 41/1000 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 21:59
arundas wrote:
I see no body selecting B. Am I missing something very obvious here? Moreover as per Manhattan GMAT a clause after semi-colon be able to stand on its own. So how can A be the correct answer.

(B) only one percent of Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression by the age of seventy-five; if they are born since 1955, six percent become depressed by age twenty-four..

In this question, we are trying to show contrast between people who are born before 1905 and since 1955. The usage of "if" is not very apt, also u can observe that a present tense is used "Americans born before 1905 suffer major depression" and thus the choice can be eliminated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 04:01
I am studying verb form/tense tab
I see that the actions is in the past but B,C,D,E, use verb in present time. so, B,C,D,E are wrong.

is my thinking correct?
VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 05:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 07:40
"By the end", "by the age" demand the use of past perfect. But "since" used in context of time demands present perfect.

In the original sentence since and by the age is used together. Is it correct to use past perfect?
Experts??

Consider Kudos if post found to be helpful :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
GMAT prep 1 : 650 Q49 V30
MGMAT 1 : 600 Q44 V30

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 10:22
In "those born since 1955", "since" means "after". You need to use the past perfect to imply that the Americans became depressed "before" they turned (simple past) 24.

Read the sentence with present perfect:
Of those born after 1955, six percent have become depressed by age 24.

The present perfect is used for actions occurring in this window: past--present. But the Americans did not turn 24 today. You cannot combine the present perfect with markers of the past such as "last week" or "by some (past moment)".

--Prasad
GMAT and MBA admissions Coach

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: According to a study published by Dr. Myrna Weissman, only   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2014, 10:22