Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a survey of graduating medical students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 22:30
+1 for C
A) Means Minority students = 4+1 ( More than ) other students
B) Means Minority students = 4+1 ( More than ) other students
c) Means Minority students = 4 ( More than ) other students
d) more likely that minority graduates rather than
e) as ................... than - idiom error

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:15
I choose C. As..as construction is need to compare two things. The two "are" --> Good parallelism. X is more likely than y --> sounds strange and confusing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Minority Graduates [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 04:23
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of
American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than
are other graduates in planning to practice
in socioeconomically deprived areas.

A. minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in
planning to practice
B. minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who
plan on practicing
C. minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on
practicing
D. it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other
graduates will plan to practice
E. it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan
to practice

There have been lotta discussion around this question however, not one of them is concrete.
OA i have is A but I chose C..can someone help me understand why A and not C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 12:37
D and E are out at the beginning. A and B are awkwardly constructed. That leaves us with C.

petrifiedbutstanding

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:24
+1 C

"likely to" is the idiom.
"more" always requires "that"

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 22:00
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Association of American Medical College, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as are other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice.

D and E are definitely out. very awkward.
A is out since 'more likely than are', should compare 'minority graduates' to 'other graduates' .. are is not needed.

Remaining B and C, even though i choose C, for the use of 'as likely as', i can't find whats the issue with B. Anyone ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 04:35
Seems like a matter of tense and S/V agreement. Subject is minority grads, verb is plan, so you have to pick the combination that fits best.
A. minority grads are likely...in planning (doesn't work)
B. minority grads are likely...who plan (doesn't work)
C. minority grads are likely...to plan (could work)
D. is likely minority grads...will plan (could work)
E. is likely minority grads...to plan (doesn't work)

So between C and D, the main difference seems to be picking between "As likely as" and "more likely than". D sounds awkward because of the arrangement of the words; "more likely that minority grads rather than other grads will plan..."
C is the remaining choice and best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 06:02
It boils down to plan on practicing vs. in planning to practice.

Someone has to be more likely TO DO something and not more likely IN DOING something.
I believe the same concept works for AS LIKELY and also MORE LIKELY as well.

The funny thing I think most people would have been stumped with in this question is that the correct asnwer actually CHANGES the meaning of the ORIGINAL.

The author intends to say MORE LIKELY than which implied 5x times rather than 4x times
where as the correct answer changes that meaning to state 4x times. I think this is because the GMAT doesn't like the 4x more likely than format. It prefers a much simpler either 5x as likely as or the 4x as likely as.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 08:24
A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
- it should be AS likely.
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
- "who plan on praticing.." describes "other graduates".
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as are other graduates to plan on practicing
- CORRECT- uses "as likely as".
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
- super wordy and awkward
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice
- really awkward sequence of wordiness

Answer is C
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 12:03
It boils down to A or C

A: X is more likely than Y.................... in planning to practise.....

C : X is more likely than Y......................to plan in practising...... ( lets replace as likely with more likely)

X is more likely than Y.............( to do what?)..... = To plan ...( then some narratives wrt PLAN ie in practising in rural/urban......bla blal bla areas)

one more thing that can be mooted over :

it compares graduates to minority graduates : So it implies normal graduates can do things much better than minority graduates

thus Minority graduates can be as less or equal to BUT definitely not MORE than normal graduates in any act.

Leading to ............... AS LIKELY AS ......... and not MORE LIKELY THAN

Leading to C = my take.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 00:29
The moment I saw this question I felt like I had seen this problem before. Reading through the posts it has been mentioned to be a GMATPrep question.

I chose C owing to the fact that "as likely as" is the correct use of the idiom. I am not sure of I recall having read this during my last attempt on this question but that is why I chose C.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

VP
VP
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 22:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2013, 22:33