Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a survey of graduating medical students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 19:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

42% (01:44) correct 58% (00:55) wrong based on 641 sessions
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Association of American Medical College, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as are other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
sdrandom1 wrote:
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Association of American Medical College, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) same
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as are other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

I'm not that good at grammar, so I can't describe exactly what's wrong with the original, but "in planning to practice" sounds a little weird & awkward, so (A) is out.

As for (B), 'who plans on graduating' changes the meaning a little bit, it turns the last phrase into a modifier for "other graduate", & it also messes up the contrast.

(D) wordy & awkward
(E) Again, the "it is" construction is wordy compared to (C).

(C) is the best choice, it concisely and clearly expresses the original meaning of the sentence.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 21:35
I would go with A. OA?
>> four times MORE likely looks appropriate rather than AS LIKELY...if we specify the number of times than it should be either MORE or LESS likely

B >> "who" is misplaced
C >> "as likely as"
D >> "will plan to practice" is awkward
E >> "as likely"
sdrandom1 wrote:

(A) same
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 23:49
I am going for C.

A) 'in planning to practice' doesnt seem correct
B) seems that the graduates will practice.
D) & E) is wordy
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 07:46
I would go for D.
The sentence basically wants to convey that minority grads are more likely to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas than grads.
'...as likely...' changes the meaning of the sentence. It should be '...more likely...'
So we are felt with A, B and D.

A)minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice----- minority grads are more likely in planning not practicing
B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing----- minority graduates are more likely to do what..??? is not clear. It appears that it is the graduates who plan on practicing, and not the minority grads.

option D convey the best meaning. '...it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice...'

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 08:37
Economist wrote:
I would go with A. OA?
>> four times MORE likely looks appropriate rather than AS LIKELY...if we specify the number of times than it should be either MORE or LESS likely

B >> "who" is misplaced
C >> "as likely as"
D >> "will plan to practice" is awkward
E >> "as likely"

Same reason as Economist and same choice A. What is OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 09:37
Sorry for keeping you all in suspense....

First of all this is a GMATPrep question. The OA is C.
But I chose the answer as A (same like humans and Economist have).
I am still not sure what's wrong with A?

more likely than is correct idiom. My reasoing behind not picking C was that C alters the meaning of the sentence by saying "as likely as". But doesn't the author intends to say that the minority graduates are 'more likely'???

Obviously more likely does not convey the same meaning as 'as likely'.

Is it just the idiom "in planning" that made A the wrong option?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 10:42
'...more likely than...'
'...as likely as...'
how can they be the same..? explain please.. am confused :(

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 17:57
I liked C but thought it changed the meaning of the original sentence: by using the words "as likely as" instead of "more likely than." Chose B as next best.

Given that "likely" is a probability concept, as likely is not the same as more likely.

Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 18:53
sdrandom1 wrote:
Sorry for keeping you all in suspense....

First of all this is a GMATPrep question. The OA is C.
But I chose the answer as A (same like humans and Economist have).
I am still not sure what's wrong with A?

more likely than is correct idiom. My reasoing behind not picking C was that C alters the meaning of the sentence by saying "as likely as". But doesn't the author intends to say that the minority graduates are 'more likely'???

Obviously more likely does not convey the same meaning as 'as likely'.

Is it just the idiom "in planning" that made A the wrong option?

Same thoughts. Threw out C initially because 'as likely as' changes the original meaning.
Since this is a GMATPREP qu, we'll just have to modify our POE process.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 15:48
I think C is a better choice than A because "four times as likely as" still conveys what the author is trying to say. The "in planning" in choice A is incorrect so in the end it just seems that C is the least incorrect of all of the choices.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 19:41
I think that idiomatically we always say x times as ... as. For example we'd rather say he is four times as strong as his brother than he is four times stronger than his brother. I might be wrong but that is my feeling.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 20:11
I will pick A

C- Changes the meaning a bit.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice -> more likely...in planning to practice is a wrong usage
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing -> plan to practice seems better than plan on practising. Besides the option is comparing minority graduates with the graduates who plan to practice in xxx area which is not the case
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as are other graduates to plan on practicing -> Correctly states that the minority graduates are four times as likely as....to plan...
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice -> more likely that... rather than... does not sound right
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice -> as likely...than...is unidiomatic
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 33

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
This is a good question. It involves subtle meaning change and logical comparision. Lets see what we have !!

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
Incorrect: Check: Minority Graduate Vs Other Graduates in Planning ( are they working in Planning Dept !!)
Incorrect: Here the Relative pronoun Who takes the Socioeco....part of sentence with Other Graduates. We are left with nothing to compare !!
Correct: Here we mean to say that Minority Grads are 4 times likely to choose(plan) Socio..than other Grads.
This comparision is perfect. Isnt it ?

Incorrect: "WILL" Going tooo far man ?
Incorrect: Do you mean to say : That the plan is 4 times more preferable to Min Grads than Other Grads !!

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 03:33
According to my source OA is E.

For me, they are all wrong.
A: likely in (has to be likely to)
B: plan on is not idiomatic
C: same as above
D: more rather than??
E: as likely than

I'm definitely with F.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 09:26
sdrandom1 wrote:

Option c. Always prefer "as likely as..." over "more likely than"...
"As ...as..." is the correct idiom.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 23:59
C for me... though was bit confused. :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 09:17
i think meaning got slightly changed in answer choice 'C'..i go with 'E"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 353

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Minority graduates [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 09:45
i too dont agree with the answer c here.
Re: Minority graduates   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2011, 09:45