Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a survey of graduating medical students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 11:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:50) correct 33% (01:27) wrong based on 65 sessions
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

Pls. explain your answer!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 354 [1] , given: 241

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice - apart from the highlighted error this sentence incorrectly compares "Minority graduates" (Noun) with "are other graduates" (Clause)
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing -
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing - Correct
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice - Same error as B
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice - Correct form is "As likely as"

Hope it helps

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Q42-1000SC [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 05:38
narrowed it to B and C.

Is it (C)? will explain if C is correct
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q42-1000SC [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 01:17
my 20 cents

"Likely to plan to/on" is idiomatic --> C and E left
"as likely as" is the right form --> C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Q42-1000SC [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 01:50
yes C for me too ...

"plan to" is the right idiom
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q42-1000SC [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 04:33
C must be the ans
the biggest problem with D is its poor idiomatic construction. we don't say 'it is X times MORE likely that A will happen, RATHER THAN B'; 'more' is supposed to go with 'THAN', and is incompatible with 'rather than'. the proper construction would be 'it is X times more likely that A will happen than that B will happen.' better than either of these, though, is the more compact form: 'A is X times more likely to happen than is B.'
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 46

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 19:47
If we say "X is four times more likely than Y", it means- probability of X= five times probability of Y; Here the intended meaning is that probability of minority students= four times that of other students, hence we've to use- four times as likely as.
This way we can eliminate A, B, D. Again "as likely than" isn't the correct construction, hence E eliminated.
So answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 01:55
nsp007 wrote:

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

Pls. explain your answer!

i pick C. "to plan on practicing" is correct idiomatic expression. D and E are out because of wrong construction.

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2012, 01:55