Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a survey of graduating university students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 954 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
According to a survey of graduating university students [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:47) correct 51% (01:19) wrong based on 193 sessions
According to a survey of graduating university students conducted by the International Association of Rose Vendors, MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than are other graduates in planning to present roses to their partners on Valentine’s Day.

(A) MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than are other graduates in planning to present
(B) MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than other graduates who plan on presenting
(C) MBA graduates are nearly five times as likely as other graduates to plan on presenting
(D) it is nearly five times more likely that MBA graduates rather than other graduates will plan to present
(E) it is nearly five times as likely for MBA graduates than other graduates to plan to present
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 382 [2] , given: 241

Re: According to a survey of graduating-Valentine's Day Question [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
According to a survey of graduating university students conducted by the International Association of Rose Vendors, MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than are other graduates in planning to present roses to their partners on Valentine’s Day.
(A) MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than are other graduates in planning to present-
Incorrect comparison as this option compares a Noun "MBA graduates" with a clause "Are other graduates". Moreover use of comparison indicator More .....than is inappropriate in this sentence.

(B) MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than other graduates who plan on presenting-
Use of comparison indicator More .....than is inappropriate in this sentence. Moreover the sentence means that MBA graduates are 5 times more likely than Other Graduates. because "who plan on.......day" is a modifier.

(C) MBA graduates are nearly five times as likely as other graduates to plan on presenting - CORRECT

(D) it is nearly five times more likely that MBA graduates rather than other graduates will plan to present-
Use of incomplete comparison indicator "More" is incorrect in this sentence. Moreover two markers are used (More, Rather Than)

(E) it is nearly five times as likely for MBA graduates than other graduates to plan to present -
Correct comparison marker is "as likely ......as" (as far as this option is concerned) instead of "As likely..than"

So the Correct answer has to be C.

Hope this detailed explanation helps
(Kindly express appreciation by pressing KUDOS button)
Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 948 [1] , given: 895

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to a survey of graduating-Valentine's Day Question [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, i will also go with C

A) than are is incorrect
B) This choice lacks verb and hence does not form a sentence.
C) To plan on presenting…. Correct structure
D) rather may be problamatic here. Incorrect structure. Correct structure is five time as likely for x as for y to present .......
E) incorrect comparison five times as likely for x than y correct usage is five times as likely for x as for y

Regard,

Abhijit

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: According to a survey of graduating-Valentine's Day Question [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 14:26
In my opinion C is the right answer.
A > more likely than are other graduates (wrong)
B >is wrong because of "who plan on presenting". This make the comparison improper.
C >correct. X (is/are) as likely as Y to plan on presenting. This is the right construction
D&E > "it is nearly five times more likely". Wrong construction.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 954 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to a survey of graduating-Valentine's Day Question [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 03:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Updating the post with OA and OE.
Vercules wrote:

The question is about comparisons and grammatically both "more likely than" and "as likely as" will be correct.
The correct idiom is "A is more likely than B to plan/ do etc. (something)", "in planning" is incorrect

If a choice would have been correct if it were " MBA graduates are five times more likely than other graduates to plan on presenting"

(A) MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than are other graduates in planning to present

"in planning is" unidiomatic and "MBA graduates" are incorrectly being compared with "are other graduates"

(B) MBA graduates are nearly five times more likely than other graduates who plan on presenting

again incorrect comparison is being made between "MBA graduates" and "other graduates who plan". The relative clause starting with "who" is only modifying "other graduates" and not "MBA graduates".

(C) MBA graduates are nearly five times as likely as other graduates to plan on presenting

This choice is correct; the meaning is clear and the construction is idiomatic and concise.

(D) it is nearly five times more likely that MBA graduates rather than other graduates will plan to present

"it' is an ambiguous pronoun; moreover, only one of "more likely" and "rather than" is required; this creates redundancy.

(E) it is nearly five times as likely for MBA graduates than other graduates to plan to present

This choice has the same error as choice (D). "to plan to present" is less preferred than "to plan on presenting" and the comparison "as likely --- than" is incorrect.

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 99

Re: According to a survey of graduating university students [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 22:45
I understand that noun is being compared with a clause which is wrong.
But can someone explain me what is the wrong usage of comparison indicator More .....than in the option A.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a survey of graduating university students [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 05:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to a survey of graduating university students [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 10:48
idiomatic constructions can be used:

As Likely As

X more than Y; X and Y must be parallel...

X rather than Y; X and Y must be parallel...

Plan to

Likely to
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Re: According to a survey of graduating university students [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 16:54
Can someone please explain - is 'as likely as' = 'more likely than'? I thought they differ in meaning...Please help!
Re: According to a survey of graduating university students   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2014, 16:54