Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to analysts, an alliance between three major

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 12:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:53) correct 35% (00:52) wrong based on 260 sessions
According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive internet data over regular telephone lines with speeds much higher than is currently possible.

A. with speeds much higher than is
B. with speeds that are much higher than are
C. at much higher speeds as are
D. at much higher speeds than that
E. at speeds much higher than are
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

Re: GWD #21 V1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 12:11
I picked D because I thought that "that" in D could refer to speed.
In other words, at much higher speeds than speed currently possible.

But I realized soon that "that" in D is not consistent with speedS, which are plural.

So if "that" in D were "those", could D be an answer?
(at much higher speeds than those currently possible.)
If it could, which one is better between the modified D and E as an answer?

Also, I have a question regarding E.

Is it ok to say that "speeds" are omitted before "are" in E?
( at speeds much higher than (speeds) are currently possible.)

Thanks.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [5] , given: 185

Re: GWD #21 V1 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive internet data over regular telephone lines with speeds much higher than is currently possible.

Error Analysis

1. Use of “with” is not correct here. This gives the sense of “in addition with”. The correct idiom to use here is “at speeds”.
2. Singular verb “is” does not agree in number with plural subject “speeds”.

POE

Choice A: with speeds much higher than is: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: with speeds that are much higher than are: Incorrect. 1. This choice repeats the idiom error of Choice A. 2. “that are” is not needed in the sentence.

Choice C: at much higher speeds as are: Incorrect. The correct idiom is X much higher “than” Y, and not much higher “as” Y.

Choice D: at much higher speeds than that: Incorrect. Singular “that” does not agree in number with plural “speeds”.

Choice E: at speeds much higher than are: Correct.

eybrj2 wrote:
So if "that" in D were "those", could D be an answer?
(at much higher speeds than those currently possible.)
If it could, which one is better between the modified D and E as an answer?

Also, I have a question regarding E.

Is it ok to say that "speeds" are omitted before "are" in E?
( at speeds much higher than (speeds) are currently possible.)

Thanks.

Even if Choice D had “those” instead of “that”, Choice E still would have been a better choice because “are” after than clarifies the comparison in the sentence.
The sentence says that the alliance would make the internet speed much higher than the speeds currently are. The presence of “are” makes the comparison clear between the current speeds and the speeds that will be in the future.

And yes, you are correct in saying that "speeds" is understood after "are".

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 8

According to analysts, an alliance between [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of
the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive Internet data
over regular telephone lines with speeds much higher than is currently possible.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 03 Jul 2013, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 31

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 20:12
Hi Shraddha,

Can you please explain how E is correct in term of how the option uses the correct parallel form. ? And, which are the parallel elements in this comparison. ?
E) uses at speeds much higher than are currently possible. . Shouldn't it be at speeds much higher than speeds currently possible. . I am confused with the are here. I believe the sentence should have had a verb form of "TO BE" in the first part of the comparison.

Thanks
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [2] , given: 122

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
eybrj2 wrote:

Idiom:
receive data at speeds --> correct
receive date with speeds --> wrong.

According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive internet data over regular telephone lines with speeds much higher than is currently possible

Wrong. "with speeds" is wrong. In addition, "speeds" is plural --> "is" is wrong

Wrong. "with speeds" is wrong.

Wrong. "higher + as" is wrong.

Wrong. "speeds" is plural --> "that" refers to singular --> wrong comparison.

Correct.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 166

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 00:26
pqhai wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

Idiom:

According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive internet data over regular telephone lines with speeds much higher than is currently possible

Wrong. "with speeds" is wrong. In addition, "speeds" is plural --> "is" is wrong

Correct.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply!
I have a doubt regarding "that" always referring to plural.
But let me put one sentence :
"Dr Lees's degree allows him to diagnose ear , nose and throat diseases that he cures for very little fee".
As per my knowledge this sentence is correct.
But at the same time "that" here refers to diseases. Could you please explain? Am I wrong anywhere ?

Also, for (e) :

According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive internet data over regular telephone lines at speeds much higher than are currently possible.
In this sentence which part is exactly parallel to" at speeds much higher than are"

Thanks!

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1388 [1] , given: 122

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Practicegmat wrote:
pqhai wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

Idiom:

Correct.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply!
I have a doubt regarding "that" always referring to plural.
But let me put one sentence :
"Dr Lees's degree allows him to diagnose ear , nose and throat diseases that he cures for very little fee".
As per my knowledge this sentence is correct.
But at the same time "that" here refers to diseases. Could you please explain? Am I wrong anywhere ?

Also, for (e) :

According to analysts, an alliance between three major personal computer companies and most of the nation’s largest local telephone companies would enable customers to receive internet data over regular telephone lines at speeds much higher than are currently possible.
In this sentence which part is exactly parallel to" at speeds much higher than are"

Thanks!

Hi practicegmat.

The two "that" are different. The one in the question is "demonstrative pronoun". The one in your example is "relative pronoun".

* Demonstrative pronoun can function by themselves as substitutes for specific nouns / antecedents. ==> The parallel nature must be maintained.
For example:
WRONG: The books I borrowed at the library yesterday are similar to THAT of your. "books" - plural is not parallel to "that" which refers to singular antecedent.
CORRECT: The books I borrowed at the library yesterday are similar to THOSE of your.

*Relative pronoun is used to introduce one type of subordinate clause called a relative clause
"that" modifies the preceding noun/noun phrase. It does not matter the preceding noun/noun phrase is singular or plural.
For example:
CORRECT: The cars THAT have introduced in the auto show are very expensive.

Hope it's clear.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 166

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 05:15
Thanks pqhai for the great explanation! I got it.
Could you also answer to my next question :

For (e) :

Thanks!

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1388 [1] , given: 122

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Practicegmat wrote:

For (e) :

Thanks!

Hi practicegmat.

I think your question should be: what is comparing in the structure "at speeds much higher than are"? Because the phrase "at speeds much higher than are" is not parallel to anything.

The structure is: customers receive data at speeds much higher than are currently possible
Subject: customers
Verb: receive
Object: speeds.
Modifier: much higher than are currently possible.
==> The sentence could be rewritten like: The structure is: customers receive data at speeds much higher than [speeds] are currently possible
==> "new" speeds is comparing with "speeds are currently possible"

Hope it helps.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 02:04
Practicegmat wrote:

For (e) :

Thanks!

Hi Practice gmat,

I think in this case "at speeds much higher than are" you are confused because the verb "are" does not parallel to any precedding verb.

From my understanding, the sentence can be rewritten as: " Customers receive internet data at speeds (which are) much higher than (speeds) are currently possible.

Two phrases between the blankets are omitted without distorting the meaning of the sentence.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 04:16
eybrj2 wrote:

I agree that E is best
but in E, there is no "is, are" at the firt half of comparision, I can not use "are" at the latter half.

unless you show a og question in which is pattern appears in oa, this question is considered good. otherwise. this is wrong question

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: According to analysts, an alliance between three major   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 04:16