Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to findings derived from...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 87

CAT Tests
According to findings derived from... [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 03:43
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (01:40) correct 50% (00:54) wrong based on 122 sessions
According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the area of the brain in which a second or third language is stored depends on the age of the language learner; whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, language areas overlap in a young child.

(A) whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner,
(B) whereas for adults each language occupies a distinct area of the brain and
(C) each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when they are learned by an adult, while
(D) each language in adults occupied a distinct area of the brain, while
(E) each language occupying a distinct area of the brain for an adult learner, and

I will post the OA soon. Please explain the answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by gmatter0913 on 22 Sep 2013, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 362 [4] , given: 241

Re: According to findings derived from... [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 03:57
This post received
KUDOS
According to findings derived from functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the area of the brain in which a second or third language is stored depends on the age of the language learner; whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, language areas overlap in a young child.

(A) whereas each language occupies a distinct area of the brain in an adult learner, - CORRECT

(B) whereas for adults each language occupies a distinct area of the brain and - Use of WHEREAS & AND together is incorrect. Both words mean different things. Thus Incorrect.

(C) each language occupies a distinct area of the brain when they are learned by an adult, while - Singular antecedent "Each Language" require singular pronoun and not plural. Moreover, WHEN is incorrectly used. Thus Incorrect

(D) each language in adults occupied a distinct area of the brain, while - This option means that in the past language occupied a certain area of the brain, but not it doesn't. Changes the meaning. Thus Incorrect

(E) each language occupying a distinct area of the brain for an adult learner, and - This sentence is a big run-on and fragment as OCCUPYING is acting as a modifier. Thus Incorrect.

Hope this will help many to come

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: According to findings derived from... [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 04:03
Yeah!! For some reason my mind told me "whereas" is not a proper construction.

Can the sub-ordinate clause be separated by a semi-colon?

Is the sentence after the semi-colon in option A a complete sentence? Can it stand on its own?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 362 [1] , given: 241

Re: According to findings derived from... [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
gmatter0913 wrote:
Can the sub-ordinate clause be separated by a semi-colon?

The answer is NO

gmatter0913 wrote:
Is the sentence after the semi-colon in option A a complete sentence? Can it stand on its own?

The structure of option A is
Clause 1 + ; + Clause 2

The structure of Clause 2 is
Dependent Clause A + , + Independent Clause B

We can also write The structure of Clause 2 as
Independent Clause B Dependent Clause A
Observe there is no COMMA before Dependent clause

I hope this answers all of your queries

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 136

Re: According to findings derived from... [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 04:00
Hello fameatop,

Can you please detail the correct usage of "When". Its been increasingly used in incorrect answer choices, so just want to make sure how "When" works.

Thanks
Himanshu

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 50

Re: According to findings derived from... [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello fameatop,

Can you please detail the correct usage of "When". Its been increasingly used in incorrect answer choices, so just want to make sure how "When" works.

Thanks
Himanshu

If you are asking about option C then apart from "when", there is another error --> use of plural pronoun "they" to refer to singular noun "each language".

You can find a very good explanation of the usage of "when" by e-gmat in their blog:
http://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=169

Kudos please if my reply helped you :)
Re: According to findings derived from...   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 07:34