Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 18

Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
This question tests comparisons and consistency:

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's
The phrasing is okay, but there is a bit of an unknown. "modeled the face of the statue like his mother's ????" It's not explicit what he modeled after his mother.

(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife
This phrasing is a bit wordy but it makes sense. Notice the comparisons:
modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother

Here's a color coding:

the face of the statue
that of his mother

Notice the consistency in the phrasing. the face = that, of = of, the statue = his mother. The same applies "the body" and "that of his wife. It's wordy, but the comparison is correct.

(C) modeled the face of the statue like his mother and the body like his wife
This statement implies he "modeled the face of the statue" like he "modeled his mother". He did not "model his mother"

(D) made the face of the statue after his mother and the body after his wife
This phrasing implies the sculptor made the face of the statue after he made his mother. The sculptor did not "make" his mother.

(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife
Similar to C, this implies the "face" looks like his "mother" and the "body" looks like his "wife". The meaning is distorted because the face should look like his mother's face, not his mother.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 21:19
kple12 wrote:
This question tests comparisons and consistency:

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's
The phrasing is okay, but there is a bit of an unknown. "modeled the face of the statue like his mother's ????" It's not explicit what he modeled after his mother.

(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife
This phrasing is a bit wordy but it makes sense. Notice the comparisons:
modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother

Here's a color coding:

the face of the statue
that of his mother

Notice the consistency in the phrasing. the face = that, of = of, the statue = his mother. The same applies "the body" and "that of his wife. It's wordy, but the comparison is correct.

(C) modeled the face of the statue like his mother and the body like his wife
This statement implies he "modeled the face of the statue" like he "modeled his mother". He did not "model his mother"

(D) made the face of the statue after his mother and the body after his wife
This phrasing implies the sculptor made the face of the statue after he made his mother. The sculptor did not "make" his mother.

(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife
Similar to C, this implies the "face" looks like his "mother" and the "body" looks like his "wife". The meaning is distorted because the face should look like his mother's face, not his mother.

got ya!!
Thanks nicely explained :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: BRAC University - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 01:58
Modeled after is the correct idiom. Therefore, B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:29
GmatPython wrote:
Modeled after is the correct idiom. Therefore, B is the answer.

I too go with B. Modeled after is the correct idiom

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS :-)

CEO
CEO
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 23:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi,   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 23:01