Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 7

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:57) correct 53% (01:14) wrong based on 94 sessions
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.
A the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted
B famous because of “The Godfather,” the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
C the ailing mobster, famous because of “The Godfather,” came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
D near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather”
E Corleone, famous because of “The Godfather,” was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those
he most trusted.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 619 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 22:15
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.
A the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted
B famous because of “The Godfather,” the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
C the ailing mobster, famous because of “The Godfather,” came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
D near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather”
E Corleone, famous because of “The Godfather,” was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those
he most trusted.

A sounds the best.
"famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted" correctly modifies a town, which thereby modifies "Corleone".
Famous and Near are parallel as they both are adjectives that modify the same noun.
+1A

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 7

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 22:26
Marcab wrote:
shikhar wrote:
he most trusted.

A sounds the best.
"famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted" correctly modifies a town, which thereby modifies "Corleone".
Famous and Near are parallel as they both are adjectives that modify the same noun.
+1A

Yep I also chose A.
But doesnt He in A has "The godFather " as the antecedent ??

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 619 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 22:50
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
Marcab wrote:
shikhar wrote:
he most trusted.

A sounds the best.
+1A

Yep I also chose A.
But doesnt He in A has "The godFather " as the antecedent ??

Honestly speaking, the term "The Godfather" immediately struck my mind as the movie so never thought that "he" may refer to the term.
Anyways, the inverted commas enclosing the term themselves tell that "The godfather" is not a person.
Let me know what you think.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 35

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 23:36
Unable to decide whether a town is famous because of “The Godfather” or whether
the ailing mobster is famous because of
“The Godfather”... I thought the former one is correct so chose C as the answer.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 142

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 00:56
daviesj wrote:
“The Godfather”... I thought the former one is correct so chose C as the answer.

It is clearly stated: a town famous because of the “The Godfather”
So you should not get confused.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2422 [0], given: 693

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 05:53
Expert's post
daviesj wrote:

C is impossible because the godfather doesn't refuge in corleone.......this the meaning of C. In other words, the godfather went in corleone and this is not true, is the ailing mobster

A is the answer

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 76

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 06:13
Me too with A.
The sentence is grammatically correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 22:01
Can anyone elaborate why D is not a correct option..

I happened to chose A...but still..can D be the OA?
Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2422 [0], given: 693

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 06:25
Expert's post
rohitgupta86 wrote:
Can anyone elaborate why D is not a correct option..

I happened to chose A...but still..can D be the OA?

be careful when you think in this scenario that D could be the OA because is dangerous.

In D the subject of the sentence is completely reverse (and it become an incidental phrase) and what is the modifier (and not the subject) become the Subject. This is pheraps the worst scenario to spot a SC.

Hope it helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 15:39
i had a confusion between A & E...
went for A only because it is in active voice...and E in passive...

is it right????
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 23:26
A the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted - correct
B famous because of “The Godfather,” the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted modifier issue - "famous because of “The Godfather" incorrectly placed next to "According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor"
C the ailing mobster, famous because of “The Godfather,” came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted meaning issue - the ailing mobster was not famous because of “The Godfather...rather town was famous"
D near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” modifier issue
E Corleone, famous because of “The Godfather,” was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted. passive construction

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2013, 23:26