Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 43

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 00:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:04) correct 30% (00:00) wrong based on 20 sessions
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

The answer is A- the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted

The original sentence is the correct answer

My logic:
This sentence is testing noun modifiers which should TOUCH the noun they modify:
Now I get how "because of the godfather and near to those he most trusted" modifies a town
How a town modifies Corleone

What I dont get is why the ailing mobster isn't modifying the anti-Mafia prosecutor (clearly not the same person)

I would appreciate help on this one. Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

We appreciate your kudos'

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 44

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing m [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 01:10
manimgoindowndown wrote:
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

The answer is A- the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted

My logic:
This sentence is testing noun modifiers which should TOUCH the noun they modify:
Now I get how "because of the godfather and near to those he most trusted" modifies a town

What I dont get is why the ailing mobster isn't modifying the anti-Mafia prosecutor (clearly not the same person)

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, [u]the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

I will try to explain this..
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor - this is a modifier modifiing "the aling mobster"
a town famous - this is a modifier modifiing "Corelone"

If u try to grasp meaning of sentence
According to X --> the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone (which is a famous town)

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1035 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing m [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 02:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manimgoindowndown wrote:

My logic:

"the ailing mobster" is a noun phrase, "ailing" is acting as an adjective for "mobster" and the whole phrase "the ailing mobster" expressed the sense of a noun. So, it is acting as a noun in the sentence. anti-Mafia prosecutor is again a noun.

e.g.

According to the chef, the decaying food should be disposed. --> the noun phrase "the decaying food" is not modifying anything

In fact the whole phrase "a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted" modifies the noun "Corleone"

For example:

Tom, an honest person and a hard-working professional who never gives up, got promoted last week --> Here the whole phrase "an honest person and a hard-working professional who never gives up" modifies "Tom"

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing m   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2013, 02:01