Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to its proponents, a proposed new style of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 2

According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:00) correct 36% (01:05) wrong based on 401 sessions
According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

A. According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
B. By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
D. A proposed new style of aircraft, say its proponents, could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 04 Aug 2013, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 11:02
D for me.
A. According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Quote:
a proposed new style of aircraft after the modifier

B. By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Quote:
propnents after the modifier

C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
Quote:
According to its proponents should have started the sentence. with it skimming looks odd

D. A proposed new style of aircraft, say its proponents, could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
Quote:
Hold It

E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Code:
Skimming just after modifier
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 18:21
Quote:
According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

This one is cool. First A is the first given sentence. Difficult to find mistake. According to its proponents, (its refer to a proposed new style of aircraft).
D - say its proponents does not sound good (though it is subjunctive). Also two 'its' be careful. Possessive Poison.

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Last edited by Leopard on 14 May 2008, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 18:51
Modifier Issue:
A new Style cannot fly … rather its Aircraft that fly. Eliminate A, E
By Skimming along the top …. Proponents – definitely not proponents but its Aircraft – eliminate B
It has no clear referent – eliminate C

Answer: D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 08:48
OA: A Thanks :-D
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 12:07
wow..a tough-one + 1..for post a gmatprep question and not labeling it that way..now when i take the gmatprep my result would be skewed :(

A for me too..after reading it again and again..
Director
Director

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 12:11
fresinha12 wrote:
wow..a tough-one + 1..for post a gmatprep question and not labeling it that way..now when i take the gmatprep my result would be skewed :(

Thanks .This question is not from GPrep. :)
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 12:14
saravalli wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

Thanks .This question is not from GPrep. :)

hmm...really? i just searched it on google and saw it in a gmatprep screen..maybe its a gmatter software??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 17:43
Can somebody explain why D is incorrect. Sorry but I am little lost here.
Director
Director

Re: SC - aircraft [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 05:45
marshpa wrote:
Can somebody explain why D is incorrect. Sorry but I am little lost here.

I too chose D but then realized that the second 'its' does not have a clear anticedent. (aircraft / earth?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 04:19

E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:moderate [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 08:39
Nihit wrote:

A.According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.correct
B.By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours. Skimming wrongly modifies proponents
C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere. with it skimming is not right
D. A proposed new style of aircraft, say its proponents, could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.because of its skimming is wrong
E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours what is Mr."it" referring to?

A??

Nihit can you tell us the source of this problem ?? Thanks

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:moderate [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 09:32
A. According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours. - According to its proponents incorrectly modifies a proposed
B. By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours. - According to its proponents incorrectly modifies a proposed
C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere. With is too far of Car
E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours- According to its proponents incorrectly modifies a proposed

Answer:D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

Re: SC:moderate [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 11:53
OA is A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: SC:moderate [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 07:47

A. According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours. - CORRECT
B. By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours. - 'By skimming along the top of the atmosphere' is incorrectly modifying 'proponents'
C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere. - 'it' can refer to 'Earth' or 'aircraft'
D. A proposed new style of aircraft, say its proponents, could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere. - same as C
E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours - awkward
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 00:30

Everything else seems okay except the colored "its" referring to "a proposed new style". I wasn't sure if "a proposed new style's proponents" makes sense in the context.

Meaning distortion. Having "by ~" in the front implies that "skimming ~" is the reason for the proponents' support.

The colored one sounds like 'skimming ~' is additional information.

D. A proposed new style of aircraft, [color=#0000ff]say its proponents, could[/color] fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
S/V agreement error

E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours
Missing the subject

I chose A as the answer.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs Exec '18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 21:25
"According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours."

The above sentence is the correct answer choice for one of the question in OG. Shouldn't the modifier "by skimming along the top of the atmosphere" be placed after "fly", as it essentially modifies how the aircraft flies. Is it because its a verb modifier it can come anywhere? Still if it can be placed anywhere why not after "fly", that seems more correct. Am I missing something.

Pls let me know if we need the entire passage and choice. I gave only the correct choice as I have concern only on that (I am able to see why others are wrong, but able to see how this is correct, as the misplaced modifier bothers me).

Thanks
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Unable to understand a correct answer choice [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 09:54
Expert's post
Hii rich.
The answer to your question lies in your question itself.
why do you think " by skimming.........." can't modify the preceding phrase. Because here the modifier can't modifier the preceding phrase, hence on changing the place of the modifier it will distort the meaning; it will not modify "fly".
That's all in my opinion.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 317

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 03:00
I think more on this is required , OA of the problem is not justified yet.

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:24
rich895, Your doubt is correct! I also feel many times the same :x . First, even modifier is placed at different place, the sentence can not become wrong. Second, There would be other choices which are wrong in more strong reasons. Sometimes, you need to eliminate worst choices and choose little bad one :)

Coming to the question,
Given: a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Your way: a proposed new style of aircraft could fly by skimming along the top of the atmosphere between most points on Earth in under two hours.

Here 'by skimming along the top of the atmosphere between most points on Earth in under two hours' is an adverb clause and part of it is placed before the verb in Correct answer choice.
As per me, it doesn't not wrong as well as it doesn't change the meaning of it.

Quoting the question for reference...

Quote:

Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 09:24