Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:04

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 158 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

57% (02:38) correct 43% (02:05) wrong based on 78 sessions
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have
unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming
conscious by a psychological mechanism termed
“repression.” Researchers investigating the nature of
this mechanism observed occasions on which a
patient undergoing therapy became aware of and
expressed a previously unconscious belief. They
found that such occasions were marked by an unusual
decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.

If the information above is true, and if the
researchers’ investigation was properly conducted,
then which of the following must also be true?

(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during
therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure
of the extent to which the patient is becoming
conscious of previously repressed beliefs.
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs
remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able
to discover this belief.
(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most
conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs,
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed
beliefs that had previously been unconscious from
those that had long been conscious but that the
patient had not previously expressed.
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of
repression works are all unconscious, the operation of
the mechanism itself is some thing of which patients
are consciously aware.

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 12:32
A?
nitya34 wrote:
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have
unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming
conscious by a psychological mechanism termed
“repression.” Researchers investigating the nature of
this mechanism observed occasions on which a
patient undergoing therapy became aware of and
expressed a previously unconscious belief. They
found that such occasions were marked by an unusual
decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.

If the information above is true, and if the
researchers’ investigation was properly conducted,

(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during
therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure
of the extent to which the patient is becoming
conscious of previously repressed beliefs.
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs
remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able
to discover this belief. stem doesn't imply anything about beliefs
that remain unconscious

(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most
conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs, nothing to suggest this
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed
beliefs that had previously been unconscious from
those that had long been conscious but that the
patient had not previously expressed. nothing to suggest this
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of
repression works are all unconscious, the operation of
the mechanism itself is some thing of which patients
are consciously aware.nothing to suggest this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 13:05
Hi mates,

It's really tough :shock: +1

I'd say A but I'm afraid more because of my intuition than because any logic :oops:

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 13:16
(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs.---This is wrong because the argument never mentions about the extent of becoming conscious...
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief.---this cud be right because arg mentions "researchers observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief"
(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs,---no mention about the origin of the conscious beliefs .
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed.---again no mention about conscious beliefs in passage
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is some thing of which patients are consciously aware. ---which mechanism they are trying to refer here....it is OOS.
hence acc to me big B..

"The highest result of education is tolerance."

Manager
Manager

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 13:19
Please post the source as well when u post the OA ....

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 20:00
Source(As i mentioned in some other thread) is GMAT Paper Test

OA is not A

try again :P

math-polygons-87336.html

Manager
Manager

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 23:05
Is it not B also... :(

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 23:21
OA is D and I need explanations
posted it in other forum as well

OE not convincing there.
A is incorrect because of extremities

Gurus can give some explanations

jainu wrote:
Is it not B also... :(

math-polygons-87336.html

Manager
Manager

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 02:00
I don't know how this works....but D seems to me more of an assumption rather than an inference....:drunk

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 02:20
I initially thought A was the answer. It's anyway not B, C or E.
But D is the answer since it says in the paragraph that when the person expressed a previously unconscious belief, they experienced an unusual decrease in the level of anxiety. That in turn leads to D - where Researchers can distinguish between conscious and unconscious beliefs
Manager
Manager

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 02:29
I agree B should be eliminated....Its out of league....

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 04:10
jainu wrote:
I don't know how this works....but D seems to me more of an assumption rather than an inference....:drunk

that is exactly what I was thinking...
Manager
Manager

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 05:30
botirvoy wrote:
jainu wrote:

Can any CR expert take the pain to explain "How D is an inference when it actually seems to be an assumption?"

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 07:09
Haha
V innovative Simley :P

jainu wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
jainu wrote:

Can any CR expert take the pain to explain "How D is an inference when it actually seems to be an assumption?"

math-polygons-87336.html

Manager
Manager

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 10:18
yeah..i found it only this evening...the smiley tends to cause the effect even when the cause itself has not taken place... :wink:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 07:13
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming conscious by a psychological mechanism termed “repression.” Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief. They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.

If the information above is true, and if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted,

Explanation:
We believe that our "beliefs" are "true," for they fit our experience. They tell us what is real or not, what is possible or not, what is right and wrong, what is acceptable or not, and so on. Yet most of these beliefs are not conscious i.e., we are not really aware about them. These are unconscious beliefs. These beliefs (whether conscious or unconscious) are specific to an individual i.e, only they are aware about it (others may just guess).
-------------------
(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs. ---> This option is going too far in saying that it’s an ‘accurate’ measure.

(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief. ---> The words …remains unconscious… are problematic here. It cannot be concluded from the passage. Rather, we can say that researchers find it (a previously unconscious belief) only when a patient informs them about the same (by using the following part from the excerpt: …expressed a previously…).

(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs. ---> This information cannot be concluded from the passage.

(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed. ---> IMO, researchers can know about anyone’s belief only if they are expressed by that particular person. If the person tells/conveys (in whatever manner) the researcher that this particular belief was something that he wasn’t aware of earlier (i.e., it was an unconscious belief), only then can the researcher conclude that it was earlier an unconscious belief (and now the patient is aware/conscious about it). But if the patient thinks that a particular belief is not an unconscious belief, he would actually never express it to the researcher. He would only express those beliefs that he feels were unconscious earlier.

IMO, the explanation mentioned above is the basis on which the researchers differentiate.

(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is some thing of which patients are consciously aware. ---> IMO, the excerpt mentioned above doesn’t look sufficient enough to conclude the first part of this option (that psychological mechanism works on only unconscious beliefs). It may be possible that psychological mechanism works in some other cases/fields/areas too besides unconscious beliefs.

Coming to the second part, we cannot say that patients are aware about how the mechanism operates. They just become aware about their previously unconscious beliefs.
-------------------

Though option D was my first choice, I would have marked it mainly on the basis of process of elimination.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 20:40
I think you’re right Technext.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 02:13
A is a trap and I think most people will choose A if there is over - assumption word: accurate
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-According to psychoanalytic theory-tough one [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 11:36
tough one. D
The other options are all gone behind the scope.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 17:53
D is d correct answer by POE.
Also, a good example of reading closely.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2012, 17:53